• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Since I got a thumbs up from one person for the last track I'll try another. From JJ Cale's first album:

Think that was the first album I had on CD, absolutely loved it

It’s always been one of my least favourite Blur albums. Having said that, I probably haven’t listened to it for about 20 years so maybe I should revisit it. I did see them on that tour though at the NEC.

I think the first albums I owned on CD were Bon Jovi’s Keep the Faith, Soul Asylum’s Grave Dancers Union and Nirvana’s In Utero - all gifts for Christmas 1993.

Country House I can take or leave, but Ernold Same you need to appreciate it more. Quirky tune if you know the words..

First CDs I had were Brothers in Arms and Queen Live at Wembley 1986 I think. Everything before then I had was definitely vinyl.

Country House needs disposing of with nuclear waste its so bad.
Blur hated it. It was a song pressured upon them by the record company, a bit like Shiny Happy People by REM.

Take To The Skies released over 16 years ago, christ I'm old

In fact this off it was around 2004 on an EP so even older - clap clap clap

First CDs I had were Brothers in Arms and Queen Live at Wembley 1986 I think. Everything before then I had was definitely vinyl.
Think Brothers in Arms was my first CD, although I was still buying vinyl too at the time.

Last edited:

Massively underrated band from very humble beginnings. I had a mate back in Leamington around '04 who was pals with the Shikari boys, and he managed to get us invited to a very early gig of theirs. There was about 50 people in attendance and it was absolutely mental. They blew up a bit after that and I remember seeing them in Wolves about 12 months later and there were a few thousand there. There was a point in time where they were mashing so many genres in to one record that I actually thought they'd be one of the biggest bands in the world at some point but Rou is quite a unique frontman and I think they prefer to be somewhere slightly off the mainstream.

They're still quality now. They did a lot of acoustic stuff during Covid and it gave Rou a chance to show off what a bloody good guitarist he is.

One of my favourite performances of theirs is actually an acoustic one. Here -

Thunk Brithers in Arms was my first CD, although I was still buying vinyl too at the time.
Brothers in Arms is probably the first album I consciously remember listening to. My dad had it on vinyl and used to play it all the time when I was a kid. Always loved Dire Straits since.

The Great Escape is also a classic album. As others have said, Country House needs firing in to the sun, but the overall album has stood the test of time.

St Albans City's shirt sponsor.

Massively underrated band from very humble beginnings. I had a mate back in Leamington around '04 who was pals with the Shikari boys, and he managed to get us invited to a very early gig of theirs. There was about 50 people in attendance and it was absolutely mental. They blew up a bit after that and I remember seeing them in Wolves about 12 months later and there were a few thousand there. There was a point in time where they were mashing so many genres in to one record that I actually thought they'd be one of the biggest bands in the world at some point but Rou is quite a unique frontman and I think they prefer to be somewhere slightly off the mainstream.

They're still quality now. They did a lot of acoustic stuff during Covid and it gave Rou a chance to show off what a bloody good guitarist he is.

One of my favourite performances of theirs is actually an acoustic one. Here -

Will give it a listen. My fav song might be Warm Smiles but they have so many good ones it's hard to pick

They really take me back as Sorry You're Not A Winner was huge when I would go to rock cafe in Stourbridge on Wednesday nights after school/college, probably around the time you went to that gig. But also as some of my mates are mainly into dubstep/dnb or whatever that's evolved into now and they mash that into some stuff don't they. That reminds me of some shit times trying to fit in haha - but I love most of it.

Back