• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Next Ten Games

Norman Deeley

Dean Saunders's Press Officer
Reaction score
Starting tomorrow we have ten games up to the end of December, two in the Europa League and eight in the PL, playing more than a fifth of the league season in a single month.
So what would we settle for right now? For me, qualification for the knockout stages of the EL – although I think winning the group is very possible – and 11 points from our eight PL games, given that we finish with Liverpool and Man City. Our small squad is going to be severely tested, that’s for sure

Starting tomorrow we have ten games up to the end of December, two in the Europa League and eight in the PL, playing more than a fifth of the league season in a single month.
So what would we settle for right now? For me, qualification for the knockout stages of the EL – although I think winning the group is very possible – and 11 points from our eight PL games, given that we finish with Liverpool and Man City. Our small squad is going to be severely tested, that’s for sure
10 wins.

King is out tomorrow and Brooks is still injured, Fraser has a late fitness test, probably no better chance to get this run off to a winning start.

I find predicting our results more or less impossible. We could lose to Bournemouth tomorrow and then finish off the run of 10 x games with wins against Liverpool and City.

I would settle with getting to the knock out stage of the Europa League and remaining in and around the top 10 come the end of the next 10 games. Hopefully we can strengthen the squad in January and really push on in the second half of the season.

If we can start the sequence of games with a good win away at Bournemouth then there are some favourable fixtures before the two massive Christmas matches. I would hope we could pick up a decent number of wins. Like you say though, we are somewhat unpredictable!

For some context:

Bournemouth (A) 23/11
Braga (A) 28/11
Sheff Utd (H) 01/12
West Ham (H) 04/12
Brighton (A) 08/12
Besiktas (H) 12/12
Spurs (H) 15/12
Norwich (A) 21/12
Man City (H) 27/12
Liverpool (A) 29/12

Win/draw in Europa would do (preferably in that order)

PL I think roughly W4 D2 L2 - would give us 30 from 22, not quite 1.5 pts/game but creeping closer

Bournemouth (A) 23/11 Win (hopefully)
Braga (A) 28/11 Win
Sheff Utd (H) 01/12 Draw
West Ham (H) 04/12 Win and Pellegrini then gets the boot
Brighton (A) 08/12 Draw
Besiktas (H) 12/12 Win
Spurs (H) 15/12 Draw
Norwich (A) 21/12 Win
Man City (H) 27/12 Loss
Liverpool (A) 29/12 Loss

So that is us winning the Europa Group and 3-3-2 in the league games for 12 points. Saying that, we could well beat both Sheffield United and Brighton as well which would leave us in an excellent position.

I predict we'll get out of the Group finishing second and get 9 points in the league
W2D3L3

Last edited:
Bournemouth (A) 23/11- point
Braga (A) 28/11- point
Sheff Utd (H) 01/12- win
West Ham (H) 04/12- win
Brighton (A) 08/12- loss
Besiktas (H) 12/12- win
Spurs (H) 15/12 point
Norwich (A) 21/12- loss
Man City (H) 27/12- draw
Liverpool (A) 29/12- loss

3-4-3

Bournemouth (A) 23/11- win
Braga (A) 28/11- win
Sheff Utd (H) 01/12- lose
West Ham (H) 04/12- win
Brighton (A) 08/12- lose
Besiktas (H) 12/12- draw
Spurs (H) 15/12 point
Norwich (A) 21/12- win
Man City (H) 27/12- draw
Liverpool (A) 29/12- draw

W4 D3 L2

Bournemouth (A) 23/11 - Win
Braga (A) 28/11 - draw
Sheff Utd (H) 01/12 - Win
West Ham (H) 04/12 - Win
Brighton (A) 08/12 - Draw
Besiktas (H) 12/12 Win
Spurs (H) 15/12 - Draw
Norwich (A) 21/12 - Win
Man City (H) 27/12 - Draw
Liverpool (A) 29/12 - Lose

Bournemouth (A) 23/11 - Win (correct)
Braga (A) 28/11 - Win
Sheff Utd (H) 01/12 - Win
West Ham (H) 04/12 - Win
Brighton (A) 08/12 - Win
Besiktas (H) 12/12 Win
Spurs (H) 15/12 - Lose
Norwich (A) 21/12 - Win
Man City (H) 27/12 - Lose
Liverpool (A) 29/12 - Lose

I have been drinking beer but think this is achievable....15 league points in total, three already in the bag...

May review my Sheff Utd prediction if Mousset is injured for our game. He's so important for them and the ball stopped sticking for them after he went off and Yanited got a foothold. They'll still be difficult and don't know when it's over but I think losing him is like is losing Raul. He's been that good for them thus far.

I think we will beat them. Their team isn’t too different from the average side we outclassed at Molineux In the championship (albeit we were terrible at their place, but were down to 10 and hadn’t got going yet).

They play better than the sum of their parts because of how well drilled they are, how well the players know the system and how little other teams know it. Plus they are on a high at the minute and have some momentum.

I can’t see us being unprepared and we are a team that plays better than the sum of our parts. They are going to struggle to contain our front 3 and they don’t have any pace in the team themselves to hurt us on the break without Mousset. They’ll obviously carry a reasonable threat from set pieces but we’re pretty solid in that department now.

If they start throwing bodies forward, overlapping centre backs etc. Then you’d hope we’d have a field day In those spaces.

Only thing that worries me about the Blades game is playinpose a real physical threat g Max Kilman at LCB. He's looked OK so far, but he's not played against a team like Sheff Utd that will pose a real physical threat

Is Bennet still injured? Something a little bit odd with him.

Back