• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Official World Cup 2018 Megathread

Go for it. That tournament is one of the most compelling events I've read about since coming to the sport.

Sport is always competition first for me. No one beat Greece that year and they didn't deserve to.

Whatever floats your boat. Personally I found them horrendous to watch, even if I could understand the tactics. Fucking hell, I defend Simeone on here more than anyone else whenever Atleti are playing! Greece were another level or two on from that. Proper shit on a stick football.

Incidentally Russia did beat Greece in 2004. They went through on goals scored ahead of Spain, largely courtesy of one of the stuffiest 1-1 draws you will ever see.

(Edit: http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season...eport/index.html#charisteas+stops+spain+surge

Note the mentions of "one way traffic" in there and how they had three players covering the right back area at points...)

This is the pinnacle of football, I want to see artistry. I don't want to see someone somehow banging their way through against the run of play in every single game, playing no football and fluking a win. I don't see any romance in that.

That said, Kenny and I walked past a Greek restaurant in Hamburg a couple of months ago and they are still proudly advertising that they were "Europäische Meister" in 2004, so it did make someone happy other than you :)

Don't get me wrong, there's room for the artistry, and there's no end to beauty in goals like what Bale did on Saturday, but I find just as much beauty in a team of relative no-hopers impossibly winning a tournament of that level.

I know that puts me in a minority here but I think I'm fairly consistent in my view of sport as competition over entertainment.

That Greece side were dreadful to watch, and ludicrously lucky to go all the way. They didn't even qualify for the World Cup two years later

I think everybody loved Leicester winning the league, but what made that special was the character of Ranieri, the rise of Kante and Vardy, the artistry of Mahrez, backed up by solid players giving their all. I don't think anyone has issue with that. Greece (and Denmark before that) just shithoused their way through it. Great for them, and gives other teams hope I guess but enjoyable it was not.

Go for it. That tournament is one of the most compelling events I've read about since coming to the sport.

First time I've ever heard anything to do with Euro 2004 'compelling'. It was fucking awful.

First time I've ever heard anything to do with Euro 2004 'compelling'. It was fucking awful.

Ah, it was a decent enough tournament (other than the awful winners). I've seen way worse than that. Euro 2016 for a kick off. Although that was to a large extent down to the ridiculous format.

I think everybody loved Leicester winning the league, but what made that special was the character of Ranieri, the rise of Kante and Vardy, the artistry of Mahrez, backed up by solid players giving their all. I don't think anyone has issue with that. Greece (and Denmark before that) just shithoused their way through it. Great for them, and gives other teams hope I guess but enjoyable it was not.

Leicester were entertaining to watch. It wasn't "grimly hang on for a 1-0" stuff. Ok, they didn't play through the lines much, they had some players that you could call rustic at best, but they were fun, they scored plenty, they played at a high tempo.

I'm not sure who Alan is hoping wins the World Cup to be honest. Probably some crappy African team with their legions of six goals a season Ligue Un forwards and comedy defenders.

First time I've ever heard anything to do with Euro 2004 'compelling'. It was $#@!ing awful.

Only really have fond memories of Netherlands vs. Czech Republic from that tournament. Great game!! Better than any of the matches that involved the eventual winners!!

I don't mind Portugal despite leaving out our heroes. The country right now is synonymous with our current Wolves success from Mendes and Nuno and his staff down through the team plus I love the country and it's people, so much so I shall be out there for the majority of the group stages.

To win though I am going with Spain. They have been rejuvenated under Lopetegui's leadership and their club sides are dominating too. Don't mind them winning for 2 personal/selfish reasons - I don't want anyone winning who can draw level/overtake Italy on WC wins plus it would be nice to think that Fosun's orginal managerial target has gone on to win the World Cup!

Only really have fond memories of Netherlands vs. Czech Republic from that tournament. Great game!! Better than any of the matches that involved the eventual winners!!

Our games vs Portugal and France were good (except the result). Especially Ronaldo vs Ashley Cole - intense and incredible quality. Massive drama in the Italy/Sweden/Denmark group on the final day. The Czechs knocking out Germany was huge and they were fantastic in an admittedly one sided game vs Denmark in the quarters.

Just a shame who won.

Really boring, unrelated fact: My dad cooked steaks for Jools Holland and his entourage on the night that Greece won the Euros

I hope Jools played a bit of boogie-woogie piano over Zorba the Greek when the full time whistle blew. He likes that sort of thing.

I don't dislike Jools Holland, he's breathed life into the "small pianist" joke now for 30 years or so.

Luckily for Jools I don't think he was even aware there was a football match that night, he had been doing a show in Shrewsbury

Don't get me wrong, there's room for the artistry, and there's no end to beauty in goals like what Bale did on Saturday, but I find just as much beauty in a team of relative no-hopers impossibly winning a tournament of that level.

I know that puts me in a minority here but I think I'm fairly consistent in my view of sport as competition over entertainment.
Denmark who didn't originally qualify in 1992 is the story for you then.

Ah, it was a decent enough tournament (other than the awful winners). I've seen way worse than that. Euro 2016 for a kick off. Although that was to a large extent down to the ridiculous format.

2016 was awful, they fucked it up majorly. I don't really remember too much about 2004 to be fair, it was the height of my raging drinking days, but I do remember Greece making me physically sick in every game I watched. That probably taints my (lack of) memory of it.

Denmark who didn't originally qualify in 1992 is the story for you then.

Three ex-Wolves on show in the matchday squad when we drew 0-0 with them in the group stage in Curle (at RB!), Sinton and Daley. Would have been four if Dave Jones had got his way and we'd signed Carlton Palmer.

Three ex-Wolves on show in the matchday squad when we drew 0-0 with them in the group stage in Curle (at RB!), Sinton and Daley. Would have been four if Dave Jones had got his way and we'd signed Carlton Palmer.
Or if Taylor hadn't binned Bully after a whole 2 games 18 months earlier.

One Night In Turin is on History Channel tonight. Has anyone seen it?

They're showing loads of football and World Cup related stuff at the moment.

I'm recording it but probably won't get to watch it until the weekend. I loved Italia '90.

I think there will be a real shock winner. Some team from left field. He'll it's due! England unfortunately will do better than expected and Southgate will get the plaudits. The runes have spoken

Back