• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The players to come good 2020/21 season thread

Bring in another forward player who can play down the middle either alongside or in place of Raul and we can review where Jota is in January or next summer. In the meantime suggesting we let him go when we desperately need more players Nuno trusts not less would be madness unless we bring in more than one more forward. Even then I'd let Traore go before him as I think we play less as a team whenever he's on the pitch.

I just don't see where MGW fits into Nuno's current formations unfortunately and he doesn't seem, anymore, to trust him to come on and change the game.

Very sadly it might be time for him to move onward - possibly the most (only) disappointing thing to come out of Nuno's time is that we haven't had any homegrown players progress to be starters.

Nuno can only work with what he's got and Gibbs White aside I don't see any other home grown players remotely close to being top half of the PL players just yet. Hopefully that will change over the next few years with the likes of Sanderson and Otasowie stepping up, however I reckon in the past forty years that only about one in fifty highly rated youngsters has made the step up. For every Lescott or Keane there are many more Zele's.

Nuno can only work with what he's got and Gibbs White aside I don't see any other home grown players remotely close to being top half of the PL players just yet. Hopefully that will change over the next few years with the likes of Sanderson and Otasowie stepping up, however I reckon in the past forty years that only about one in fifty highly rated youngsters has made the step up. For every Lescott or Keane there are many more Zele's.
I don't disagree at all, but I did have hopes for MGW, Ronan, Iorfa, Graham and even Bright. Not really Nuno's fault but all have fallen away.

I don't disagree at all, but I did have hopes for MGW, Ronan, Iorfa, Graham and even Bright. Not really Nuno's fault but all have fallen away.[/QUOTE

The latter two seemed to have ability but not the character to make the most of it. Iorfa seems to have done ok at Wednesday and might make it to a lower PL in due course if he can rule out silly errors.

It always baffles me how quick people are to right Jota off. Genuinely.

Before lockdown he had just hit a purple patch, was fantastic against Spurs and no one would have entertained that thought. I think Nuno knows his quality too, and would never give up on him. The break comes at a good time for him, two weeks off to come back refreshed and hopefully with that edge to his game back. When he has that he is our best player.
Agreed.

Don't even think he's been as bad as many have made out, don't get me wrong not claiming he's been at his best but these days with social media etc its easy for people to (often subconsciously) jump on a bandwagon.

Few people mention he's below par and then everything he does that's not perfect gets highlighted. I've seen people lose their shit over stuff he's done (lost the ball etc) but then no even noticed someone in better form say Raul do exactly the same/similar.

Another one to watch is Shabani. genuinly think he would have been in the 1st team a lot last season and hopefully his recovery from the ACL is 100%

I agree. I thought he was an exciting signing and he impressed in his brief cup appearance before getting crocked. Hopefully his injury hasn't set him back too much.

As for Jota, there is no way we should be selling him.

yeah, Shabani could be very interesting..had almost forgot about him :) no, dont think we will sell Jota

Jota definately hasn’t dipped to Costa levels because even when he’s not playing well, he works his arse off. It’s not really been clicking going forward though, whereas in our first season in the prem, his link up with Raul was the best attacking thing we had going for us.

It’s not uncommon for young players to have a dip though, so hopefully he can get back to his best next season

Agreed.

Don't even think he's been as bad as many have made out, don't get me wrong not claiming he's been at his best but these days with social media etc its easy for people to (often subconsciously) jump on a bandwagon.

Few people mention he's below par and then everything he does that's not perfect gets highlighted. I've seen people lose their shit over stuff he's done (lost the ball etc) but then no even noticed someone in better form say Raul do exactly the same/similar.

Hope you didn't read Social Media after Jonny got injured. Poor Rubes turned into the worst left back the world had ever seen within 5 mins of the news he was now the 1st choice.

People losing their shit over certain players is nothing new though is it. We have all sat near someone who will destroy a player every time they do something bad but go silent when they do good (except score of course). It was not long ago I was sat waching us v Leicester in the League Cup and the abuse Bonatini was getting from an utter tit nearby was amazing and relentless. I think on Jota though, he as shown how good he is over a long period so when that level slips for a few weeks, then it stands out and that is where people then lose their minds or judgement. He isn't getting the FFS treatment yet, so he survives another year under Nuno at least...

Jota definately hasn’t dipped to Costa levels because even when he’s not playing well, he works his arse off. It’s not really been clicking going forward though, whereas in our first season in the prem, his link up with Raul was the best attacking thing we had going for us.

It’s not uncommon for young players to have a dip though, so hopefully he can get back to his best next season

Go back to the 1st season in the Prem and I believe a similar discussion was being had across the internet regarding him and Costa. Just before Nuno made the change to the formation people were expecting and even demanding him to be binned in January but that change and his link up with Raul changed his season and he was pretty awesome for the remainder of it.

We have all sat near someone who will destroy a player every time they do something bad but go silent when they do good (except score of course). It was not long ago I was sat waching us v Leicester in the League Cup and the abuse Bonatini was getting from an utter tit nearby was amazing and relentless.

MGW that night as well. I was not happy with our surrounding area (if you remember they closed off the upper tier so we had to just buy anywhere...then they opened it on the day of the game and it was too late to fix it all)

Hope you didn't read Social Media after Jonny got injured. Poor Rubes turned into the worst left back the world had ever seen within 5 mins of the news he was now the 1st choice.

People losing their shit over certain players is nothing new though is it. We have all sat near someone who will destroy a player every time they do something bad but go silent when they do good (except score of course). It was not long ago I was sat waching us v Leicester in the League Cup and the abuse Bonatini was getting from an utter tit nearby was amazing and relentless. I think on Jota though, he as shown how good he is over a long period so when that level slips for a few weeks, then it stands out and that is where people then lose their minds or judgement. He isn't getting the FFS treatment yet, so he survives another year under Nuno at least...

No agree its nothing new I just think in these modern times of everyone seeing everyone else's opinion instantly it plays on people subconsciously. Say a few say so and so is out of form you read it watch the game and micro analyse his performance where as say others may well make the same mistakes/amount of mistakes but you're not noticing that. Not blaming anyone for it just think that's the way it is.

I always feel we look a more balanced team with Jota playing for some reason can't always put my finger on it just always seems that way. Especially as a two up top, I was disappointed he didn't start last night to be honest.

MGW that night as well. I was not happy with our surrounding area (if you remember they closed off the upper tier so we had to just buy anywhere...then they opened it on the day of the game and it was too late to fix it all)

Yeah I remember that they really underestimated how many people would go didn't they (perhaps fairly when you consider previous seasons). Atmsophere was awful and many said its cuz they were by different people, a bit of a cop out for me in some cases that but I remember a pal of mine telling me at half time he'd nearly got into a row with some lad who wanted him to sit down (in the southbank) so his Mrs could see then got narky about it.

Wouldn't consider selling Jota at all, he is very patchy though, it's good now that their are other reliable options for those wide forward positions so he can be omitted when he isn't performing. Problem being there isn't any real alternative if you're ever wanting to play two up top, there's still only him and Jimenez as genuine options there and that needs to be resolved.

I'd let Traore go before him as I think we play less as a team whenever he's on the pitch.

Agreed and been thinking it lately. We aren't really "Wolves" with Traore on the pitch *shrugs*. As amazing as he can be

It's more Wolves fans contradictions, agonising about depth and then oh well, we've got Neto and Podence, cya later Diogo.

Well, we haven't got added Europa games this time, which don't have any effect on a squad don't you know... But I get you

We need to bring players in, increases our options, not sell players!

Keep the squad as best we can and add 2 or 3 players to it, we will be in a good place, a full season of Boly, refereeing decisions surely starting to even themselves out, plenty less games to have to contend with, we should/could see ourselves battling for the last of the CL places!

We need to bring players in, increases our options, not sell players!

No doubt we will get bids for a few of our players. I will be amazed (and delighted) if we get to the close of the window and we have sold no one from our main group. It won't be becauase Jeff is chasing in but because the player has asked to move on

I'm the opposite to be honest, i don't think anyone will come near to our valuations of Raul, Neves and Traore, unless that trio push for a move (i can't see that either) then they will stay with us.

I'm the opposite to be honest, i don't think anyone will come near to our valuations of Raul, Neves and Traore, unless that trio push for a move (i can't see that either) then they will stay with us.

Agree on the intial valuation not being met but the players will know the bids are in and if they think they fancy playing for whoever that is and ask to be allowed to speak to them, then our ability to get the fee we want is weakened. I don't think any player will go on strike or be a stroppy fuck about it but it really ends with us having an unhappy player on our books and I think Nuno would move them on.

Which clubs that are in the CL and have money to burn are going to be in the market for those players though? That's where it starts to fall apart for me. I certainly can't see an English side blowing 50mill plus on any of those players, and i don't think they are quite good enough for the superclubs either.

Back