• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The problem is recruitment

Wolfman09

Reaction score
The spine of the side that won League 1 is still in place - that is the problem

How Saiss does not play before Price and Saville beggars belief

Giving long term deals to Baath dicko Evans Edwards et al is crazy - they will never get us promoted

Lambert keeps playing the same players but ignores SAiss and got rid of Prince

Lambert is making a mess of this

Thelwell must go - we need a new director of football and a new scouting system ASAP

Yeah it does, we either buy players who are not good enough (but get to play) or we buy players who are good enough, but we don't play them.

First is Thelwell's fault, second is Lambert's fault.

I'd argue we're weaker in many ways than we were in L1.

Ikeme and Batth are about where they were then, they haven't improved and never will so call that even. Stearman isn't as quick as he was 3-4 years ago so there's a downgrade. I'd take the 2013/14 version of Sam Ricketts and any version of Golbourne over Coady and Doherty without even thinking about it. McDonald's attitude was downright disgraceful at times in his final 12 months here but in terms of ability he's far better than anything we have at the moment other than Saiss who doesn't play. Sako and Costa are more or less on a par (Helder has a higher ceiling)...when we used Jacobs at #10 that's one of the few times we've used an actual footballer there, even though he hasn't really produced the goods at Championship level for anyone he's still better than Edwards there. We had Griffiths and then the 2014 version of Dicko up top...don't have anything like that now.

The full back and central midfield situations are farcical, if we had a budget of £500k/year it would be unacceptable, to have the spending power we do and to have some of the current first teamers as automatic choices is unreal.

Title blames recruitment, poster thinks new sigings should player over longer standing players, surely that's an endorsement of the recruitment?

He's slagging off the selection, not the recruitment, but concludes we should bin the guy in charge of the latter rather than the former.

Nonsense.

There's no way imo that we'd be any worse off if we'd played Saiss and Prince as two sitting midfielders all season. We know the ones we have aren't good enough and we haven't had a chance to find out about these two properly and I definitely blame Thelwell for that.

There's no way imo that we'd be any worse off if we'd played Saiss and Prince as two sitting midfielders all season. We know the ones we have aren't good enough and we haven't had a chance to find out about these two properly and I definitely blame Thelwell for that.

How's it his fault that they didn't get to play?

I think some think that Thelwell has a say in the team selection. I don't agree with that personally.

Lambert's selection and tactics are what is costing us at the moment. We had a good chance to build ahead of next season but he is massively screwing that up.

I don't think he ever wanted them here and I think he has made that known to Lambert as soon as he arrived. By the time things started going wrong this year he'd already shipped Prince out and Lambert bizarrely isn't bothering to change or do anything different other than switching non scoring strikers around. I guess we'll only know what impact Thelwell is having here when he goes which surely has to be this summer.

Lambert's selection and tactics are what is costing us at the moment. We had a good chance to build ahead of next season but he is massively screwing that up.

Oh yeah, that can get added to the "weaker than we were in L1" pile too. Accepting that it was against tosh opposition, we played some very good football in the second half of 2013/14 (and carried that forward for the first 2-3 months of 2014/15 in the Championship). We aren't even trying to play football at the moment. Which is odd as we didn't apply this philosophy through December when results started to improve under Lambert.

Everything is just wanged forward first time, if you have the players to exploit that then fine, even if it is a bit rustic. We were pretty direct when we had Afobe/Sako/Dicko in the last three months of 2014/15 and I didn't have a problem with that. All it does now is chuck possession away and mean that we're never giving Costa the ball with any kind of quality or in any areas where he can hurt teams. Fine when you're playing Liverpool, it doesn't matter if you have 28% of the ball and that was always going to be the only way we could get a result. Not in regular league games as is being borne out by the results, 0 points against Burton, Wigan and Blues is horrific.

Title blames recruitment, poster thinks new sigings should player over longer standing players, surely that's an endorsement of the recruitment?

He's slagging off the selection, not the recruitment, but concludes we should bin the guy in charge of the latter rather than the former.

Nonsense.

Having the same spine of the team that we had in L1 three years ago proves the point that recruitment is terrible

I'm blaming Lambert for not picking those midfielders we have bought - we've not bought any fit defenders
For LAmbrrt to pick to replace a central defence that is not good enough

Having the same spine of the team that we had in L1 three years ago proves the point that recruitment is terrible

I'm blaming Lambert for not picking those midfielders we have bought - we've not bought any fit defenders
For LAmbrrt to pick to replace a central defence that is not good enough

You're claiming we've signed players that are better than what are playing though, so by that measure you must think that recruitment is working to some extent, if Lambert decides to play someone else instead then you should be lambasting him and his selections instead.

I just don't get why we cannot put together a solid championship outfit, there are plenty of teams above us that do not have the size, support or finances yet manage to put together teams that can play football be combative and change styles when needed.

The whole club has stunk since we got to the premiership and tried to do stuff on the cheap and not upgrade all areas of playing and non playing staff.

If fosun are serious and are in for the long haul then they need to bin pretty much all of the playing and non playing staff off and bring in a dof with experience at a much higher level.

At the moment we are going no where but backwards

I just don't get why we cannot put together a solid championship outfit, there are plenty of teams above us that do not have the size, support or finances yet manage to put together teams that can play football be combative and change styles when needed.

The whole club has stunk since we got to the premiership and tried to do stuff on the cheap and not upgrade all areas of playing and non playing staff.

If fosun are serious and are in for the long haul then they need to bin pretty much all of the playing and non playing staff off and bring in a dof with experience at a much higher level.

At the moment we are going no where but backwards
Im with you man.

I think some think that Thelwell has a say in the team selection. I don't agree with that personally.

I can't agree with you here YW, I don't think Thelwell had anything to do with Saiss, Prince, Cav or Costa and so he has marginalised them when Zenga's had the sack. He inferred this with his bizarre 70:30 nonsense in the fans parliament.

As for tactics, Jackett, Zenga's and Lambert have played the same non-football for 2 seasons now and I remember Moxey and Thelwell saying a few years ago that the new Wolves Way will involve wingers and a style that if the manager was not working they could replace him and nothing would be interrupted.

I think we have a decent squad with weaknesses clearly at FB, CM and CF. They can play and play well but not with the current tactics and coaching, Lambert has to take some responsibility for it but it hasn't all his doing. It's bizarre Fosun have let it get this bad before stopping this garbage.

Where do we go from here though? Lambert I have currently lost faith in being given either the rest of the season or the summer to improve, Thewell I'd don't quite understand what he does day to day but if he had any involvement in the signings or managerial appointments this year then surely he also needs to go?

I can't agree with you here YW, I don't think Thelwell had anything to do with Saiss, Prince, Cav or Costa and so he has marginalised them when Zenga's had the sack. He inferred this with his bizarre 70:30 nonsense in the fans parliament.

As for tactics, Jackett, Zenga's and Lambert have played the same non-football for 2 seasons now and I remember Moxey and Thelwell saying a few years ago that the new Wolves Way will involve wingers and a style that if the manager was not working they could replace him and nothing would be interrupted.

I think we have a decent squad with weaknesses clearly at FB, CM and CF. They can play and play well but not with the current tactics and coaching, Lambert has to take some responsibility for it but it hasn't all his doing. It's bizarre Fosun have let it get this bad before stopping this garbage.

I don't want to believe that Lambert doesn't have the full say in who plays and who is in the squad but i can sort of see what you mean. The biggest thing for me is that the same players who have failed before and the same tactics that have failed before keep being used. Obviously we can't be sure but there is something deeply wrong within the club and Fosun need to find out what it is and quickly or they have a football club that is going nowhere and will never go anywhere. As good as the season ticket offers were they wouldn't need to be there if the club were getting it right on the pitch.

Same players and tactics that have failed before=the thelwell way. I really believe he is the problem,and agree with the poster above that Swiss,cav,Costa and prince weren't anything to do with thelwell so in his eyes they can't be any good,whereas all the ones he's had a hand in tend towards being rubbish

Same players and tactics that have failed before=the thelwell way. I really believe he is the problem,and agree with the poster above that Swiss,cav,Costa and prince weren't anything to do with thelwell so in his eyes they can't be any good,whereas all the ones he's had a hand in tend towards being rubbish

It's just hard to believe Lambert meekly accepts Thelwell telling him who in the squad is any good. Even more so now when his own eyes must be telling him that Thelwell is wrong. It's all very strange at the moment. Do we really miss Cavaleiro this much?

We said quite clearly to the parliament last season, in fact possibly before then, that the aim under a DOF was consistency with all teams from the under 9s to the first team playing in the same way, the same formation. We are three managers later and the style is the same, most of the players getting in the first team are the same, and new signings are getting sidelined. Hardly a leap of faith to chuck all this at thelwell .