• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The problem is recruitment

His talk about our 'dominance' is horseshit anyway. We don't dominate.

Our possession is Price plays it to Batth/Coady, they hook it into the channel and the opposition head it back to us, if we are lucky. For the life of me I have no idea what they work on in training. It was my same issue with Zenga, there is no pattern to our play except random hoofs forward. In this day and age, with the money they are paid, and they time they generally get to practice, it is embarrassing.

This has been the culture st Wolves for a long time. KJ nearly took us away from it and got sucked back into his and Wolges traditional values, Solbakken wanted to do the same, but it is set in stone at the club and we need sometimes big to change it.

I found myself nodding my head to this. There has been no style or plan since Solbakken. I know his plan didn't work but at least you could see what he was trying to do. I have no idea what Lambert is trying to do and he obviously hasn't worked out what is best for this bunch of players. Now is not a time to experiment it's a time to play to your best players and play to their strengths rather than play the players that will run and try but struggle to play any sort of football.

Would you please post a link to that? I need to punish myself...

We played 5, lost 5. 3 of which were on tele and you may or may not have been at the other 2. You don't need to punish yourself any further

His talk about our 'dominance' is horse$#@! anyway. We don't dominate.

Our possession is Price plays it to Batth/Coady, they hook it into the channel and the opposition head it back to us, if we are lucky. For the life of me I have no idea what they work on in training. It was my same issue with Zenga, there is no pattern to our play except random hoofs forward. In this day and age, with the money they are paid, and they time they generally get to practice, it is embarrassing.

This has been the culture st Wolves for a long time. KJ nearly took us away from it and got sucked back into his and Wolges traditional values, Solbakken wanted to do the same, but it is set in stone at the club and we need sometimes big to change it.
I'm concerned that Lambert judges the games by stats and not reality. From the 5 games last month we scored 2 goals. In addition to that I can remember the following fair to good saves from the opposition keeper:
Burton 0
Newcastle 1 and that's being generous to Costa's tame effort.
Wigan 2 - one from the Edwards header, one from the Ronan swerving shot in injury time
Chelsea 0
Blues 1 from the Dicko header.

We create decent positions, but our issues are much bigger than not having a goalscorer, although clearly this would help. We actually create very little in terms of clear chances because our delivery in the main is poor.

Comes down to the full backs to a large extent. Costa can't beat his man (or men) every single time so the ball frequently gets laid back and we rely on them to provide good delivery from wide. Coady is one of the worst crossers I've ever seen in a Wolves shirt and Doherty is so incredibly one footed that unless he knocks it in quickly - and to be fair his crossing isn't the worst, although it's nothing special - it's so obvious what he's going to do and he gets dispossessed with ease (then trundles back as the opposition break).

I can't stress enough how much of a problem they are, going in both directions.

Comes down to the full backs to a large extent. Costa can't beat his man (or men) every single time so the ball frequently gets laid back and we rely on them to provide good delivery from wide. Coady is one of the worst crossers I've ever seen in a Wolves shirt and Doherty is so incredibly one footed that unless he knocks it in quickly - and to be fair his crossing isn't the worst, although it's nothing special - it's so obvious what he's going to do and he gets dispossessed with ease (then trundles back as the opposition break).

I can't stress enough how much of a problem they are, going in both directions.

Doherty getting back is not an accurate description - he just doesn't.

His first duty is to defend & stop the delivery from that side of the field - this is the thing that he does the least. It's not his primary duty to provide the attacking intent on the left (though that's probably what he has done rather than what he should be doing).

How long have we been waiting for a left back who does what one should.

He talks about stats but the key stat released today was that Wolves statistically were the 92 ranked club in English football for the month of February. 92 out of 92.

He may have another stat to look at on Saturday night: it's Blackburn v Wigan and Brizzle v Burton. We may or not be in the bottom 3 by 5pm on Saturday, but if we don't get something from Reading we are going to be in even deeper shit than we are now

They often say a dog looks like its owner, when I look at this Wolves squad it does resemble Kevin Thelwell . Lets face it the bloke is dour without a creative bone in his body and his recruitment reflects his personality, totally lacking in flamboyance or originality.
If he had a flair player he would sell it or never select it but give him a bog standard meat and two veg player and he's like a pig in shit. At interview he looks for like minded rather than polar opposite which prevents a growth in ideas. Paul Lambert being that stereotypical dour destructive Scot in his playing days.
Give these types a João Teixeira or a Ivan Cavaleiro and you frighten them to death, to much creativity in them bones.