• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Race For The Top Four

Is anyone else mildly nervous about our remaining fixtures?

The way I see it, we have

2 free hits (Man City, Liverpool)
1 realistic loss (Chelsea)
3 banana skins (Leeds, Villa, Newcastle)
1 likely score draw (Burnley)
1 very winnable (Brighton)

Looking at squads and form etc, I think 14-15 points would be a reasonable expectation here. However, the last 40 years have conditioned me to expect 4 points.

Am I the only one here lacking confidence in our ability to finish above 8th?

Arguably we’re favourites for 6/9 of those (given I’ve not looked when we’re home and away) I’d say it isn’t a bad run of games.

Essentially didn’t expect Europe at the start but those as our remaining fixtures, I’d say you could have a far worse bunch

West Ham do what we couldn’t, and knock Sevilla out of the Europa League. Fair play to them.

Some decent teams left. I don’t think they’ll win it.

FC Barcelona
Atalanta
Rangers
Sporting Braga
RB Leipzig
Olympique Lyon
Frankfurt
West Ham

No reason they can’t beat any of them. Probably favourites against 5 of them

West Ham get a tough draw against Lyon.

Lyon aren't very good this season. 10th in Ligue Un.

However they probably have Barcelona if they get through.

Cold light of day . I am still fucking annoyed. You don’t get top six if you can’t beat teams in the bottom six and in Leeds Norwich and Burnley we have failed to do that. We literally gave Leeds 5 points this season and yesterday conceded three Sunday league goals. I know I never thought Europe was on but it’s still disappointing to blow it like we appear to have with defeats like Leeds and Arsenal when we had points for the taking.

Last edited:
Cold light of day . I am still fucking annoyed. You don’t get top six if you can’t beat teams in the bottom six and in Leeds Norwich and Burnley we have failed to do that. We literally gave Leeds 5 points this season and yesterday conceded three Sunday league goals. I know I never thought Europe was on but it’s still disappointing to blow it like we appear two with defeats like Leeds and Arsenal when we had points for the taking.
You do seem to view things with very selective evidence - there have been a number of games where the opposition will be wondering how they didn’t win - Leicester, Villa etc

This is not blowing it, just a reflection on the swings and roundabouts of sport.

You do seem to view things with very selective evidence - there have been a number of games where the opposition will be wondering how they didn’t win - Leicester, Villa etc

This is not blowing it, just a reflection on the swings and roundabouts of sport.
Steady on with that sensible attitude mate....you do realise this is a football forum? Only vitriol and hyperbole are allowed.😁

I see a few people throwing the towel in after last night, a bit premature?
We're inconsistent, we should have won last night but, Villa, Newcastle, Brighton, Norwich, Burnley, are all winnable games. I'm also expecting some points against the big 3, we've been a bit unlucky in against them so far.
It's obviously a tough proposition but we're still in it.

We are still in with a hope of 7th, but will need to win at least one game now I wouldn't expect us to - either the Top 3, Burnley or Newcastle, whilst obviously winning the other 3 at home

The biggest thing in our favour is West Ham staying in Europe. They don't have the deepest squad and will prioritise the EL I'd have thought. Could do with them beating Lyon then losing to Barca in a close second leg

We are still in with a hope of 7th, but will need to win at least one game now I wouldn't expect us to - either the Top 3, Burnley or Newcastle, whilst obviously winning the other 3 at home

The biggest thing in our favour is West Ham staying in Europe. They don't have the deepest squad and will prioritise the EL I'd have thought. Could do with them beating Lyon then losing to Barca in a close second leg
If we can't beat one of Burnley or Newcastle we don't deserve to get into Europe and we look forward to next season.
Both have improved of late but they're both still on the shite side of average.

I agree. West Ham are still catchable especially if they lose or draw to Spurs. The team now have to hold their nerves and put this result to bed.
Not getting Europe could mean not only losing key players, but restricting the quality that comes in. Hard to say for sure but it's what i think could be the case.
Play like we did in the first half and we could certainly win some key games. Do what we did second half and they may as well fuck off on their hols..

Back