• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Race For The Top Four

You do seem to view things with very selective evidence - there have been a number of games where the opposition will be wondering how they didn’t win - Leicester, Villa etc

This is not blowing it, just a reflection on the swings and roundabouts of sport.
How many times have we played really well for the game. DW posted about 8 , a number of those were losses. So we play well once in every 3 to 4 games. The results there are better than the performance in half our wins . Only Chelsea above us haven’t beaten us and they still have a chance to for that . Our biggest hope in my opinion, is for Norwich to be down and Liverpool to either be champs or out of it on the last game .

Think so yes. We are now hoping to sneak into seventh and maybe make the Conference League.

2-0 spurs

I kinda wish west ham would win to put us out of our misery!

Spurs in front, we probably want them to beat West Ham now.
Without doubt. All we can do is get to at least 60 points and hope it’s enough. Their European exploits the only thing that keeps us in it. Hopefully their GD takes a pounding today aswell

We are still in with a shout for 7th. Only 1 point behind West Ham on the same games. Need Liverpool to beat Forest, then Chelsea to beat Crystal Palace to be assured of 7th being a Euro spot.
That's the best we can hope for imo.

Am I correct in thinking that the only way be can miss out on Europe with 7th now is Palace winning the Cup?

WH winning the EL would get them an additional CL place and Leicester winning the EC would get them an additional EL place, so theoretically 9 English clubs would be in Europe?

Am I correct in thinking that the only way be can miss out on Europe with 7th now is Palace winning the Cup?

WH winning the EL would get them an additional CL place and Leicester winning the EC would get them an additional EL place, so theoretically 9 English clubs would be in Europe?
I think you’re right with that , although how winning the cup equates to finishing 7th is a bit of a mystery to me. I am in the camp that if you asked me before a ball was kicked how you wanted to qualify for Europe, win a cup or finish 7th it’s the former all the time assuming we also stay up

I think you’re right with that , although how winning the cup equates to finishing 7th is a bit of a mystery to me. I am in the camp that if you asked me before a ball was kicked how you wanted to qualify for Europe, win a cup or finish 7th it’s the former all the time assuming we also stay up
The cup takes precedent, hence Palace being able to upset the apple cart.

Finishing above West Ham should be our main priority at this point. Do that and it's very likely we'll have conference league football next season. We need to get back to some level of consistency. Falling apart on Friday is now looking like a massive mistake, because we'd have been above West Ham by now if we'd held on to something there and it would have been in our own hands. Fine margins.

My gut instinct is we'll miss out now and finish 8th. I don't see Palace beating City/Liverpool in the FA Cup so not too worried about that.

Today's result at West Ham has started me off again about our visit there a few weeks ago, the result/performance/tactics/team selection all irritating me all over again. I should really be able to let these things go at my age. No doubt it will set me off again if we lose out of 7th to them by one point

Arsenal 2-0 down to Palace within 20 mins.

Palace have been excellent and Selhurst is bouncing. If only we hadn't lost those two close Arsenal games we would be right in the conversation. Or indeed the non-performance with a ridiculous side at West Ham.

Remaining Fixtures:
United
Everton a
Norwich h
Liverpool a
Arsenal a
Brentford h
Brighton a
Chelsea h
Palace a
Guessing 11 points so 62

West Ham
Brentford a
Burnley h
Chelsea a
Arsenal h
Norwich a
Man City h
Brighton a
Guessing 9 so 60

So with GD probably going to need 61 points for 7th. That's likely winning all 4 none top 3 games. Draw one of those and we are going to need to win or draw 2 against City, Chelsea or Liverpool.

Last edited:
Palace have been excellent and Selhurst is bouncing. If only we hadn't lost those two close Arsenal games we would be right in the conversation. Or indeed the non-performance with a ridiculous side at West Ham.
Or the 2 Palace defeats...Brentford at home etc

We are not in the conversation as we aren't a Top 4-team. We are very good side, better than we sometimes give credit for but where we are is about right. We might nab 6th or 7th but with our squad size we have done well to keep the 3-4 above us within enough distance to make it annoying/frustrating when we finish 8th

Don't see us quite getting there personally but then again every time I think we are going to drop off we managed to get a couple of wins together.

Or the 2 Palace defeats...Brentford at home etc

We are not in the conversation as we aren't a Top 4-team. We are very good side, better than we sometimes give credit for but where we are is about right. We might nab 6th or 7th but with our squad size we have done well to keep the 3-4 above us within enough distance to make it annoying/frustrating when we finish 8th
That's the thing Cyber couldn't ever understand when someone said Utd are shit yet finish above us. They are in terms of their relatively recent history, expectation, worldwide standing, massive transfer spend and wage bill, but their squad quality gets them enough results to be 6th...but 6th for them is shit, 8th for us isn't

Back