• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Transfer Thread 2019/20 - everything not Wolves

Hard to argue with 41 goals in 65 games tbf. Not like Arsenal have been really good in that time.
Can't knock his output but he isn't anything like the threat I remember from a few years back at Dortmund. I suppose getting older he's perhaps adapted his game so he's not so reliant on pace anymore but if I were a professional centre half I'd much rather play against him now than 3-4 years ago. Aside from the goals I don't think he contributes a great deal to their side whereas previously he would've been someone who could've turned hopeful balls into channels into genuine threat more often than not.

Can't knock his output but he isn't anything like the threat I remember from a few years back at Dortmund. I suppose getting older he's perhaps adapted his game so he's not so reliant on pace anymore but if I were a professional centre half I'd much rather play against him now than 3-4 years ago. Aside from the goals I don't think he contributes a great deal to their side whereas previously he would've been someone who could've turned hopeful balls into channels into genuine threat more often than not.

Same as Henry as he got on in age I suppose.

That kind of efficiency is pretty damn good. I mean he did outscore Aguero last season in the league! And Aguero does more or less bugger all but score these days (his touch is still ridiculous).

Didn't see it mentioned but this is David Silva's last season for Citeh (unless he does a Gomes). Enjoy him while he's there.

Going to miss him. Wonderful little magician and a joy to the Premier League.

In terms of watching them live (there are other good players I've seen, but they didn't play very well), there are only six that I've seen that compare to David Silva purely for touch:

Modric
Berbatov
Scholes
Okocha
Mendieta
Moutinho

I have to say that I thought Sterling was amazingly good at Molineux last season. He was brilliant.

So pleased to see Moutinho on your list. The WE HAVE ARRIVED signing.

This is just touch. Receiving the ball in whatever context and 99% of the time it's just control, no panic, do whatever.

I'd have Silva behind Modric and Berbatov so Joao will have to be #7. Not bad company though.

By my time Captain Martell was just hard and got goals. He was getting more and more broken. Still a good player but on the way down. We were way better with Platt in the side in 1990 for instance.

Yeah you missed the best of him 1981-1986 he was a stunning player.

Another I would offer would be Paul McGrath. Especially as he was carrying about nine injuries and 25 pints of guiness at all times.

I saw McGrath down here for Sheff Utd in our first home game of 97/98. So he's mid to late 30s, no knees, God knows on drink, and we've got a front three of Bull, Keane and Goodman.

Best player on the park by a country mile. Unreal.

Okocha is one of the few opposition players I've clapped off when they were subbed. We couldn't get near him. Incredible.

David Johnson was another for Ipswich (he was incredible that day) and Teddy Sheringham was another for Colchester (just because I knew I'd never see him again and I respected what he did for England).

I saw McGrath down here for Sheff Utd in our first home game of 97/98. So he's mid to late 30s, no knees, God knows on drink, and we've got a front three of Bull, Keane and Goodman.

Best player on the park by a country mile. Unreal.

Robson, Mcgrath, Whiteside.

Amazing players, STAGGERING bar tabs.

Okocha is one of the few opposition players I've clapped off when they were subbed. We couldn't get near him. Incredible.

He was ridiculous the day the majority of Molineux clapped him off. Sometimes you just have to appreciate you have seen something special even if it's against your own team.

Like when REAL Ronaldo was applauded off at Old Trafford. Oh my God he was perfection that night.

He was ridiculous the day the majority of Molineux clapped him off. Sometimes you just have to appreciate you have seen something special even if it's against your own team.

Also the day I wrote off Freddy Eastwood :icon_lol:

McGrath against Italy in the 94 World Cup was majesty.

Mcgrath and Houghton that day. Not bad was it.

Still doesn't remove the stain of USA 1994 being utter fucking dogshit as a tournament. Not as bad as South Africa but getting there.

On Mendieta - loved him at Valencia. Obviously didn't go well at Lazio and Barca, so he ends up at Boro.

We were as good as down, they didn't give a shit, bit of a fiasco end of season game and we won deservedly. But my word. I was sat in the Steve Bull Lower with my old man for that one. Mendieta's playing right midfield, so for a half we've got him close up. Unbelievable technique.

What a player. By all accounts a fantastic guy too, he actually ended up settling in Yarm or somewhere that way and never moved back.

Bergkamp had a ridiculous first touch and Cantona used his strength and touch to make players look stupid.

Sane at Molineux looked like somebody was playing him via FIFA.

Back