• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Velotard Thread.

Red light jumping seems more prevalent in recent times. Been many times recently when I've gone over just as the lights turn amber and 3 or 4 have followed me. I've always veen a confident driver/rider but nowadays I grit my teeth when I stop at an Amber light, especially on my motorbike, not a lot you can do if someone rams you up the back end, I usually look for an escape route if someone's right on my tail.

It is, bad behaviour from all concerned, cyclists are not above the law.
It can actually be the safest way to negotiate a busy junction. Pre-empting the change after the other road has changed from green. Or filtering on a left turn etc.

It can actually be the safest way to negotiate a busy junction. Pre-empting the change after the other road has changed from green. Or filtering on a left turn etc.
What a load of bollocks that article is. Genuinely embarrassing excuse making.

Red light jumping is red light jumping no matter the excuse. There is no excuse for it on a bike as there isn't in any other mode of transport.

Cyclists making excuses does them no favours (and I'm a cyclist as you know) and only serves to anger motorists.

I also see many a cyclist barrel through a red light where the junction is not dangerous. Have an excuse for them?

And don’t get me started on the cycle clubs insistence on riding 15 riders , three abreast through the country roads approaching Cambridge. Unnecessary.
Final moan is the 0730 Sunday morning peloton of about 10 riders who sail through the village sounding like a Dom Jolly phone sketch waking up the whole village. Insensitive yabbering at high volume when many want a lie in.

I don't ride much but pretty much every time I do I'm nearly killed by a careless motorist. But yes cyclists are the real problem here. Sure they were to blame for the car mounting the pavement to park and nearly run me over this morning too.

Cyclists jumping red lights is a massive bugbear of mine. And it happens a lot.
Motorists going through red is a massive bugbear of mine. And it happens a lot. I know which is more dangerous too.

And don’t get me started on the cycle clubs insistence on riding 15 riders , three abreast through the country roads approaching Cambridge. Unnecessary.
Final moan is the 0730 Sunday morning peloton of about 10 riders who sail through the village sounding like a Dom Jolly phone sketch waking up the whole village. Insensitive yabbering at high volume when many want a lie in.
Easier to get past 3x5 than 1x15, surely?

Reactions: jlo
So you're pissed off at people talking on their bikes?

If they'd been walking would you have been equally pissed off?

Sounds like a really pretty thing to be pissed off about tbh.

Every time I use a zebra crossing as a pedestrian I’m scared some dick on a bike will disobey the Highway Code and smash into me. Cyclists are a big part of the problem.
Absolutely they are. Some think they're above the law and own the road which is as much as a problem as dick head motorists.

Most aren't, like most motorists it's the dickheads giving both sets a bad name.

Depends on the road.
If cyclist are taking up the entire width of the road, then yeah it's a problem. Every group I've ever ridden in don't do this if there is a car approaching.

Absolutely they are. Some think they're above the law and own the road which is as much as a problem as dick head motorists.

Most aren't, like most motorists it's the dickheads giving both sets a bad name.
How often does this happen? Genuinely. Is it a big problem? Again, not something I see very often. Certainly not as often as motorists not stopping.

All sets of users of the road have massive dickhead elements. It just seems that criticising the dickhead element of cyclists is almost taboo. Very odd.

How often does this happen? Genuinely. Is it a big problem? Again, not something I see very often. Certainly not as often as motorists not stopping.
There have been cases of pedestrians being killed by cyclists not stopping.

If cyclist are taking up the entire width of the road, then yeah it's a problem. Every group I've ever ridden in don't do this if there is a car approaching.
Same here Organised groups I've ridden in certainly don't block the road and I guess motorists don't realise that there is a set of words and signals cyclists use to avoid problems of clogging roads and awareness of incoming traffic.

Probably the kind of stuff Cyber is pissed off about.

Most motorists don't realise that it's safer and legal for cyclists to ride two abreast too.

All sets of users of the road have massive dickhead elements. It just seems that criticising the dickhead element of cyclists is almost taboo. Very odd.
I'd say the opposite, tbh. Far more commonplace for cyclists to get the raw end of the deal.

Reactions: jlo
I just don’t understand why some cyclists think the Highway Code with regard to red lights and pedestrian crossings doesn’t apply to them. I have been crossing with cars stopped and then had a cyclist come charging through when I am on the crossing. Many times.

Back