• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

There goes Julen!

It's Prem rule that loan players can't play against their parent club (or at least it was very recently)?

I've always found it odd that it's allowed elsewhere, Courtois against Chelsea in the CL final a good example of it being strange.

I think they should be able to play. You loan them out and decide you don't need them, that's your problem.

What you have now is a competitive imbalance where Conor Gallagher (for example) was Palace's best player last season and Chelsea get the benefit of him not playing against them.

Or take the easy step and ban PL to PL loans.

Anyway he can't play against us and Lopetegui has a tough start regardless.

I always thought it was to prevent the possibility of cheating. A parent club could potentially pressure a loanee into deliberately playing poorly or conspiring to throw the game in favour of the parent club.

Yeah i'm not really against it either way, i just think it could be very open to corruption.

Yeah i'm not really against it either way, i just think it could be very open to corruption.
It's why I think you leave it up to the club who has the player to make the decision. A young player may feel mentally not up to it so you don't play him if that's the case, others may want to use it to show their parent club what they are all about.

Coady for example would be desperate to play and wouldn't be giving us any favours

Or Wolves could say to Coady, "You've x number of years left on your contract, if you don't do us a favour you'll never get another loan, you'll sit in the reserves and you'll never get an England call-up again." Wolves wouldn't do that, but it's a possibility best avoided I'd have thought.

"If you don't first succeed try try try again" and 3rd time lucky we hope for Wolves

Welcome Julen (Lobo) Lopetegui :)

Feels like a new dawn. We're lucky to have got him in more than one sense, I think. We can at least spend the rest of the year living in hope rather than despair.

glad we have finally announced this. hope he can get a quick understanding of our issues and what he’s up against in the division as things need to improve asap. the negotiating time hopefully means he’s secured some spend commitment and we’ll have more firepower coming in. good luck JL for all our sakes.

The manner in which this has been done was shambolic but I am delighted with the end result. Personally I think we have a really top coach on our hands now. He has a tough job on his hands and we do need to back him in January but I feel a lot more positive about our future than I have in a long time.

Think his biggest issue is our apparent lack of fitness.

Far be it from me to defend Shi and the board, I think they are a bunch of charlatans (not good ones like the band), but if after JL had said he wanted to spend some time with his family we had done nothing, spoken to no-one, approached no-one, they would have been criticised for that as well.

I'm not sure what they were supposed to do in these circumstances. It isn't really known how long JL had said he needed and perhaps, just perhaps, after a week or 2 he'd then been back to us and said 'give me another couple of weeks and I'll do it' the club had no choice but to sit on their hands and wait did they?

Welcome Julen. Glad this is the way we've gone as opposed to Beale. This time last year Newcastle only had six points on the board so it IS doable, and at least with Julen we will see a bit of solidity and some patterns of play.

The primary thing this squad is crying out for is fresh ideas, and he has them in abundance.

Excellent appointment - feels like we’ve been lucky to get him.

No doubting his pedigree - you’d hope that he’ll have more than enough to get our current squad out the mess we’ve (Lage) got ourselves into.

Michael Beale says hi.

Stop trying to defend the clowns in charge.
Not going down the defending route as it feels like a gamble they have got away with but it does feel as if JL was 1st, 2nd & 3rd choice. Comments out there include us saying we will wait when JL said not yet.
Not sure if it was to try and show a desire to employ a manager after it to persuade us they were on it. We could have employed someone quite easily in Martins or even Nuno. The approach for Beale is looking like it was a bit half arsed and when you read the many comments from Beale we didn't put a proper offer his way (by this I mean what he would control, possibly keeping Scott as the man in charge of transfers, coaching staff decided by the club etc). It looks like we settled on him but only if he was more than a yes man than Bruno (a ban of big talk outside of transfer windows etc), yet we were prepared the spend £1M on doing this. so a manager search that wasnt proper for some shit attempt at looking competent.
All that off the back of thinking JL would be open to start work in January ....he then drops us a message early on.
Huge gamble that looks like it somehow came off.

The big test now is what happens next. Are we keeping the structure above JL or will we rip it up and attempt to get a similar set up before Darymple and KT left us.
Jeff has his skills....just not as a glorified DoF. Drop that shit and get people who know how to do their job and more importantly no more fooking yes men. Jeff will learn more in 3 months of working with people who know their stuff than 12 years with a bunch of "yes boss, great idea boss" types

Busy day yesterday so had missed this. Excellent, I won't take the process but I will take the appointment.

Back