• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

TWO Minutes' silence

I always wear a poppy, though I can understand why some people don't. Regarding the silence, I think several clubs observed it yesterday, but a minute is enough. Though on the 11 November I think it is correct that two minutes silence is observed.

I always wear a poppy, though I can understand why some people don't. Regarding the silence, I think several clubs observed it yesterday, but a minute is enough. Though on the 11 November I think it is correct that two minutes silence is observed.

With respect Frank - but its not how long the reflection is, but that you do remember the sacrifice

Not just in this war, which this ceremony commemorates, but all others.

My Father lost part of his life due to the 2nd WW, Korea could have caught me if I was a bit younger and the Vietnam war would have if I was American.

It is a real sadness that we keep doing this to other humans when we all want the same things - a decent life with sufficient to sustain ourselves

It's incredibly silly really doing it this early before the date. I'm always happy to donate but don't ever wear a poppy. Not out of any particular moral reason but simply due to a phobia I have about wearing badges, stickers and the like.

I'd put commemorating it this early in the same camp of why do Americans have to play the national anthem before every single sporting event? Dilutes the actual meaning of what it is you're trying to commemorate.

I always wear a poppy as I am proud of the sacrifice that people made for my freedoms, and I want others to see I am proud.

The Two Minute Silence, is held each year at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, and marks the end of the First World War.

It's incredibly silly really doing it this early before the date. I'm always happy to donate but don't ever wear a poppy. Not out of any particular moral reason but simply due to a phobia I have about wearing badges, stickers and the like.

I'd put commemorating it this early in the same camp of why do Americans have to play the national anthem before every single sporting event? Dilutes the actual meaning of what it is you're trying to commemorate.

I quite like the American national anthem thing. I’m also happy to support our troops with relatives who fought in wars and two cousins still in the forces, but two minutes silence two weeks in advance is over the top - id have had no issues if they didn’t do one if they had no fixtures, or if they really wanted to do it, one minute would have been enough. IMO of course.

Remembrance day is not, as someone incorrectly posted above, about glorifying war but about remembering sacrifice. A sacrifice that most had little choice in making and certainly no choice in who or where they were fighting. If you don't support this fine but you should respect the event (if that's the right word).
However holding a 2 minute silence weeks in advance is ridiculous and makes no sense. Wolves will hold ours on Friday over a week in advance and that feels too far, international break or not.

Great thread - and I agree with the majority of views expressed. It now seems to be a criminal offence not to be wearing a poppy from about August 31st. I do wear a poppy, but I absolutely respect the decision not to. I also sling all my loose change into the corner shop collecting box eevry time I go in. I absolutely belive in Remembrance Sunday, but I do not believe in having that observance forced on me on October 28th.
[Neither do I believe in Bonfire Night becoming Bonfire Fortnight or Halloween becoming a month long jamboree. But then I'm getting on a bit...]

Remembrance day is not, as someone incorrectly posted above, about glorifying war but about remembering sacrifice. A sacrifice that most had little choice in making and certainly no choice in who or where they were fighting. If you don't support this fine but you should respect the event (if that's the right word).
However holding a 2 minute silence weeks in advance is ridiculous and makes no sense. Wolves will hold ours on Friday over a week in advance and that feels too far, international break or not.

Please do not misrepresent what I wrote.

"War has often been a legitimate and just means of resolving disputes, that does not mean it should be celebrated or glorified and this is a place we have moved to "

I think that's what he's alluding to ?

The poppy should signify those lost on the battle field or on active duty, anyone who thinks it’s glorifying war or tries to use it to glorify war has totally miss judged its meaning.

In the US you see people selling poppies outside stores, in shopping malls etc but I've found that not many people wear them. I'll put money in the box in most stores I go but I dont wear the poppy here. I did when i lived in UK.

When I move back, I would definitely give money,but not sure I would wear the poppy these days.

"War has often been a legitimate and just means of resolving disputes, that does not mean it should be celebrated or glorified and this is a place we have moved to "

I think that's what he's alluding to ?

I know what he was alluding to. So where does it say that Remembrance Sunday glorifies war? People glorify war, not events.

So why wont people wear poppies then ?

I know what he was alluding to. So where does it say that Remembrance Sunday glorifies war? People glorify war, not events.

As the thread is about remembrance Sunday the quote seems to me (and I could be wrong, been known) to conflate the event and glorifying war. I'm not actually sure that anyone in the modern world can be under any I'llusion as to what war or even so called "insurgency" such as Ireland or Afghanistan means.
I always reflect on chance when remembrance comes around. If I or any of us had been jborn in say 1900 we could well have been one of those names on the memorials.
Not sure how relevant this is to a football thread or football in general though and its not likely to be a subject that any amount of discussion is going to change anyone's mind about.

As the thread is about remembrance Sunday the quote seems to me (and I could be wrong, been known) to conflate the event and glorifying war. I'm not actually sure that anyone in the modern world can be under any I'llusion as to what war or even so called "insurgency" such as Ireland or Afghanistan means.
I always reflect on chance when remembrance comes around. If I or any of us had been jborn in say 1900 we could well have been one of those names on the memorials.
Not sure how relevant this is to a football thread or football in general though and its not likely to be a subject that any amount of discussion is going to change anyone's mind about.

You ignored the context of my post and drew your own inference, it was not my inference.

Moeen Ali, being destroyed by the morally outraged today for this
845d3ec9fd1559d2ba5f83119e99af27.jpg

I'm more concerned about Stuart Broad's bright blue socks and ankleblaster trousers.

There's definitely an undercurrent of mawkishness about the "Sport Are Troops" stuff on social media, I can't abide it. Give soldiers Jason Forrest's wages.

Back