• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

TWO Minutes' silence

The reason for the poppy should mean the exact opposite of glorifying war and should emphasise the horror of it.
If people choose not wear it it’s their right to do so in a free society and they shouldn’t have to justify why they don’t conversely those who choose to shouldn’t have it rammed down there throat as to why they shouldn’t.
There also seems to be a myth that servicemen or ex servicemen should be entitled to various things and should get away with various things also which other members of the public don’t.
As a former member of the armed forces yes there are very tough hard times but there’s some great things also ie free dental care, able to see a doctor within hours of phoning through, free gym use along with excellent sports facilities. Food and accommodation at a reasonable price and still a very good pension if you serve 22 years.
I fully support the poppy appeal and wear it with pride but I’m not blinkered enough to hide away from some severe errors the armed forces have made in the past ie Bloody Sunday and indiscriminate carpet bombing of German cities in WW2.

Moeen Ali, being destroyed by the morally outraged today for this
845d3ec9fd1559d2ba5f83119e99af27.jpg

His poppy fell of as you can clearly see him wearing one walking through Perth airport.

QPR are playing Sheffield United tomorrow night, AT HOME.

So quite why they needed a 2 minute silence and all the other pleasantries on Saturday is beyond me, perhaps they are going to go big tomorrow night with a 5 minute silence?

They had a home game on October 31st. Why didn't they do it then? QPR did theirs the weekend BEFORE that.

Just when you thought we were free of the mawkishness

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2017/november/we-will-remember-them/

A minutes silence to be observed tomorrow. So we've now served three remembrances with none on the day or even week of the $#@!ing anniversary.

Oh for goodness sake it cheapens the whole rememberence commemorations. But that's just me. I will look forward to easter eggs in may St Georges day in March, Boxing day in January and will celebrate my birthday in September.

It's two minutes silence to reflect on the tragedy and pain that war causes. We have it so that we never forgot this stuff.

Is it really that much of an inconvenience that an organisation decides to have their silence the closest they can to the date?

Poppy facism on the other hand....I hate what it's become. A poppy should be a personal mark of respect to anyone affected by war. The only people I have issue with wearing them are politicians who actually start wars (very simplistic view I know). Because those fuckers could actually prevent this shit if they wanted to

It's not about respect, it's about being seen to look respectful. Or worse still, the *most* respectful.

It's two minutes silence to reflect on the tragedy and pain that war causes. We have it so that we never forgot this stuff.

Is it really that much of an inconvenience that an organisation decides to have their silence the closest they can to the date?

Poppy facism on the other hand....I hate what it's become. A poppy should be a personal mark of respect to anyone affected by war. The only people I have issue with wearing them are politicians who actually start wars (very simplistic view I know). Because those fuckers could actually prevent this shit if they wanted to

It's not about respect or forgetting, it's faux sorrow and it's like the craze to change our Facebook profile picture in the wake of a terror attack, the focus isn't on remembrance it's on letting everybody else know you remember. It cheapens the genuine and real message of Remembrance. Something I have absolutely no issue in respecting.

If someone does not want to show respect for someone who died to allow them to show no respect, that's there choice.

In addition teams that have not had a home game may want to do something this week, again I can understand that, it's 2 minutes in ground if you don't want to be quiet for 2 minutes in respect, then stand outside the ground and chat to your mates and allow those who do to pay their respects

Back