• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Underrated players

If you want your centre half pushing toward the "deserves twenty years in Parkhurst" side of hard, then Vinnie was your man. He said they shall not pass and Balrogs shat themselves.

He was a proper decent footballer. Yes, he used to deliberately play the hardman and there's no defending some of his play - but he could pass a ball short or long, good finisher when called upon, could fill in at centre half, had a degree of footballing intelligence about him.

Leeds had a seriously good team at the time and their fans adored him.

Not making him out to be a magician but the consensus generally was that he was just a thug, like some roughneck you'd drag off the street and stick in a shirt. No, he was a good player as well as someone who did undoubtedly go too far sometimes.

Hence underrated.

He was a proper decent footballer. Yes, he used to deliberately play the hardman and there's no defending some of his play - but he could pass a ball short or long, good finisher when called upon, could fill in at centre half, had a degree of footballing intelligence about him.

Not making him out to be a magician but the consensus generally was that he was just a thug, like some roughneck you'd drag off the street and stick in a shirt. No, he was a good player as well as someone who did undoubtedly go too far sometimes.

Hence underrated.

Also, unless you put a load of beer in him, a genuinely nice bloke off the pitch. Met him many many times as he lived in the town where I had the dubious pleasure of helping run a petrol station while I finished off getting qualified. One of the most polite and genuine men you could ask to meet. Until he was pissed and then he turned into an absolute nightmare at times!

His late wife was an absolute diamond as well.

Ian Wright, definitely. On the subject of England strikers, I would add Peter Crouch. If he was 6ft dead instead of seven inches taller he would have been considered a serious baller instead of a desperation plan B. His volleying was superb, plus his ability to take the ball back to goal on the edge of the box, turn to create space to shoot then finish.

Loved Kevin Sheedy in probably my favourite none Wolves side - the Everton one of the mid 80s

Definitely Crouchie. He was actually crap if you just hoofed the ball at him. Really good footballer.

Scandal that Carrick only got 34 England caps (over about 15 years as well).

For reference, that's fewer than Ashley Young. FFS England.

Loved Kevin Sheedy in probably my favourite none Wolves side - the Everton one of the mid 80s

Cracking side that was. Southall, Stevens, Mountfield, Ratcliffe, Bailey(?), Steven, Reid, Sheedy, Sharp Gray. Can't think of the other midfielder.

Cracking side that was. Southall, Stevens, Mountfield, Ratcliffe, Bailey(?), Steven, Reid, Sheedy, Sharp Gray. Can't think of the other midfielder.
Bailey then VDH. Bracewell was the other CM. Adrian Heath instead of Gray on occasion. Backed up by the likes of Richardson, Harper and Snodin

Hence underrated.
Fully agree with this Dan.

Yes you are right. Bailey I think was the reserve. Bracewell was at Sunderland I think afterwards after serious injuries wrecked his career.

When did McAllister join Leeds. Was it after we beat them in their Division One winning season?

Kamara played in that side didn't he?

Bracewell was good for Newcastle in the early Keegan years.

Sunderland was at the end I think. Was in the "Premier Passions" doco with Peter Reid which would have been 96/97.

When did McAllister join Leeds. Was it after we beat them in their Division One winning season?

Kamara played in that side didn't he?

Gary Mac went to Leeds in 1990.

Batty and Speed both breaking through at the same time, Strachan still tremendous.

A really good team and yet their fans will still never hear a bad word against Vinnie. If he were crap then he'd have stuck out like a sore thumb.

Yes, Kamara was there, a thorn between the roses :icon_lol:

Bracewell was good for Newcastle in the early Keegan years.

Sunderland was at the end I think. Was in the "Premier Passions" doco with Peter Reid which would have been 96/97.

Im sure he was at Sunderland in the Gabbiadini days. One of my mates was a Sunderland fan I used to go to a few local games with him.

Just checked - he went Sunderland -> Newcastle -> Sunderland.

Pretty rare!

Back