• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Underrated players

Three spells at Sunderland including 1989 to 1992 and then 1995 to 1997.

Injuries weren't that bad as he made 500 odd senior appearances! He missed out on the 86 world cup squad with a broken leg

Ian Wright was a brilliant goal scorer even before getting to Arsenal him and Bright racked up a shed load of goals at Palace.

Mark Wright was underrated. Seriously good on the ball. Didn't play nearly enough for England.

He is a massive racist though, so I won't shed any tears for him.

Norman Whiteside's peak was slightly before my time. Those who were around - was he as good as people make out or just a bit of a myth?

Remember him briefly for United and at Everton but I was still very young then.

Joey Beachamp - far too good to be at Oxford but unfortunately didn't have the mentality to play at a higher level

Carrick was my immediate thought. Brilliant player yet forever overlooked.

Lauren was a remarkably good full back at his best in that magnificent Arsenal team.

Beckham is overlooked as a result of his celebrity status. He was an absolute world beater from 98-03 at United. His stats are absolutely outrageous.

Des Walker. Fantastic player, largely forgotten now.

Carrick was my immediate thought. Brilliant player yet forever overlooked.

Lauren was a remarkably good full back at his best in that magnificent Arsenal team.

Beckham is overlooked as a result of his celebrity status. He was an absolute world beater from 98-03 at United. His stats are absolutely outrageous.

I'd add Ray Parlour in if we're having Lauren.

Never glamorous but he was good enough for Wenger as he put the team through two or three iterations. One of the great cup final goals too.

Norman Whiteside's peak was slightly before my time. Those who were around - was he as good as people make out or just a bit of a myth?

Not in my opinion. Don't get me wrong he was good but he was built like a brick shit house and could cope with the physical demands of the game then. Being so young meant that he got the plaudits which may not have been the case so much if his career started to take off in his 20's.

Parlour falls into Paddy's talkshite bracket now.

If we are looking at good arsenal players it's got to be Ljungberg.

Parlour falls into Paddy's talkshite bracket now.

If we are looking at good arsenal players it's got to be Ljungberg.

I liked Freddie too.

That was a special team, though if you just attack down one side with Cole, Pires and Henry you're bound to be good. Pity any RB against them in that era.

I liked Freddie too.

That was a special team, though if you just attack down one side with Cole, Pires and Henry you're bound to be good. Pity any RB against them in that era.
Freddie was possibly the coolest footballer around then. Loved watching that Arsenal team, such a shame that Wenger tarnished his legacy with years of pap.

Whiteside had talent but his playing at 17 in a World Cup and being at United made his profile bigger than his ability. Ultimately done by injuries and pissing it up a wall with Robson and McGrath

Freddie was possibly the coolest footballer around then. Loved watching that Arsenal team, such a shame that Wenger tarnished his legacy with years of pap.

Probably my favourite PL era (always helps if you're early 20s and always going to watch games in pubs, like). A serious battle between a couple of seriously great teams with huge personalities.

I like City and Liverpool now on a footballing level. In different ways. But it's not quite as virile as it was then.

Not in my opinion. Don't get me wrong he was good but he was built like a brick shit house and could cope with the physical demands of the game then. Being so young meant that he got the plaudits which may not have been the case so much if his career started to take off in his 20's.

Whiteside had talent but his playing at 17 in a World Cup and being at United made his profile bigger than his ability. Ultimately done by injuries and pissing it up a wall with Robson and McGrath

Cheers lads.

When I was at uni, one of the pubs in town would regularly have a billboard outside - 12.30 on Saturday - come and have a drink with Norman and Paul.

Robbo was busy elsewhere, obviously, being a really shit manager. (I missed his peak too but he was still good when I started watching)

I think Roy Keane was underrated as a footballer because he's a huge physcopath

Stan Collymore. I know he's a dick and that, but on his day he was unstoppable. Largely wasted his career sadly.

Back