• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Villa 1 - Wolves 1 Verdict thread

I bet Frank is looking forward to logging on to read about the game.......

Indeed. There is no doubt there is a very good team there that are waiting to show us what they can do. Costa was superb, Bod caused them problems, but our finishing let us down. We should really have won by a country mile.

The Referee - Firstly I thought he was correct in the two penalties he did give, but then decided he couldn't give any more. In the first half I thought he was fine, but in the second half I am not sure what happened. His positioning looked OK, but he failed to give a blatant penalty, and both Chester and Grealish should have been sent off. On the Grealish incident, surely one of the officials saw his stamp, if they didn't then I would be questioning why not. I noted three occasions when he stopped the game for a free kick, when the players wanted to play on. He did not apply the advantage clause as well as he should have. As the game wore on he lost his confidence, and ended up giving free kicks for nothing, and missing the obvious ones.

Overall, I am afraid I do not think that the referee had the best of games. His assessment would make interesting reading,

From the 66th minute, when Dicko was brought on, we had the team that I had advocated from the beginning.

Bod and Dicko up front, Edwards and Costa in front of Saisse and Coady.

This gives us pace and strength and we completely ruled the play against Villa. The more we play this way the more we will gel and the more goals we will score.

Indeed. There is no doubt there is a very good team there that are waiting to show us what they can do. Costa was superb, Bod caused them problems, but our finishing let us down. We should really have won by a country mile.

The Referee - Firstly I thought he was correct in the two penalties he did give, but then decided he couldn't give any more. In the first half I thought he was fine, but in the second half I am not sure what happened. His positioning looked OK, but he failed to give a blatant penalty, and both Chester and Grealish should have been sent off. On the Grealish incident, surely one of the officials saw his stamp, if they didn't then I would be questioning why not. I noted three occasions when he stopped the game for a free kick, when the players wanted to play on. He did not apply the advantage clause as well as he should have. As the game wore on he lost his confidence, and ended up giving free kicks for nothing, and missing the obvious ones.

Overall, I am afraid I do not think that the referee had the best of games. His assessment would make interesting reading,

Well said Frank. Unfortunately, we seem to be getting sub-standard refereeing in a number of our games and we are powerless to do anything about it.

From the 66th minute, when Dicko was brought on, we had the team that I had advocated from the beginning.

Bod and Dicko up front, Edwards and Costa in front of Saisse and Coady.

This gives us pace and strength and we completely ruled the play against Villa. The more we play this way the more we will gel and the more goals we will score.

Fine in theory but that's not how we played. Coady went right and Costa went left in a 4-4-2. Just before Dicko came on Costa went central in a 4-4-2 with Coady right and Prince left.

That's how I saw it too. No complaints about either penalty that was given but the foul on Bod was far more clear cut that the one Villa were awarded. Staggered how he didn't give that.

Well I am going to be a little harsh here.we have failed to beast Rotherham villa Wigan and Ipswich all below us. If we really harbour promotion ambitions then we must put away some of these teams.
That said looked decent going forward yesterday

The ref bottled it. He saw the incidents, he knew they were fouls. He just bottled it as he knew the consequences.

Maybe it's just human nature, but he didn't give them in case he was wrong and he was in front on a big crowd, on tv, and it would Have been decisions against the home team.

Mike dean may be a bit of a cock, but he often just shrugs his shoulders and says "what am I supposed to do" when he sends someone off for a second yellow.

Well I am going to be a little harsh here.we have failed to beast Rotherham villa Wigan and Ipswich all below us. If we really harbour promotion ambitions then we must put away some of these teams.
That said looked decent going forward yesterday
A bit daft to criticise the team for not winning on the opening day after Zenga hadn't even been here a week, moreso considering we fought back from 2 down.

Clearly there hasn't been enough consistency but if you want to base it all on where teams are in the league you could also point to superb results at Newcastle and Blues. Both above us. As are Brentford and Reading.

If we can get a bit of consistency behind us we'll be fine. Pointless to pick and choose which games we should have picked up points in, football isn't like that.

Fine in theory but that's not how we played. Coady went right and Costa went left in a 4-4-2. Just before Dicko came on Costa went central in a 4-4-2 with Coady right and Prince left.

Fine in practice as well. I didn't say how we played, just the personnel involved.

Well said Frank, but what happens now?

These referees are very highly paid, in any other career a performance like yesterday would lead to a final warning or even dismissal.

These referees are very highly paid, in any other career a performance like yesterday would lead to a final warning or even dismissal.

Both Aston Villa and Wolves will have to complete a match report, and included in that will their marks and observations regarding the match officials. There would also have been an assessor in the stands, and if he marks the referee below 70/100 then he has to submit a seperate report explaining why he marked the referee so low.

The F.A., have unlimited authority in any action they take, if they feel that action is necessary. The normal punishment is giving the referee a weekend off.

The F.A., have unlimited authority in any action they take, if they feel that action is necessary. The normal punishment is giving the referee a weekend off.

The usual punishment actually seems to be to "relegate" them down a division so they can continue to make rubbish decisions without the spotlight on them

The usual punishment actually seems to be to "relegate" them down a division so they can continue to make rubbish decisions without the spotlight on them

Sometimes it is helpful if a referee drops down a division or two. And if they do not improve in the lower divisions, they can be removed from the Football League referees list, though that is a last resort.

My apologies that the verdict thread has become a referees performance thread, but while I agree that he did not have the best of games, I do not think he was that bad that he should be taken off the list. What we must accept is that referees are human, and do make mistakes, just as footballers make mistakes.

Sometimes it is helpful if a referee drops down a division or two. And if they do not improve in the lower divisions, they can be removed from the Football League referees list, though that is a last resort.

My apologies that the verdict thread has become a referees performance thread, but while I agree that he did not have the best of games, I do not think he was that bad that he should be taken off the list. What we must accept is that referees are human, and do make mistakes, just as footballers make mistakes.

But the mistakes he made were so basic you would struggle to see a referee on a park on a Sunday morning make them.
Four officials failed to see the stamp by Grealish, he was perfectly placed yet failed to give the foul on Bodvarsson and also the second yellow cards to Grealish and Chester yet he managed to see a "foul" by Batth when he turned a Villa defender on the wing!

Wow, that's really harsh. A paid weekend off for being rubbish. That'll show him.

I still can't believe we didn't win this, we were so good in the second half but despite the referee our end product wasn't as good as it needs to be. I'm still not sure about Zenga playing central midfielders in wider positions but there are positive signs still but he needs to concentrate on those. I think Saiss is a top class signing, Hause slotted back in nicely and he should be playing now for me, Costa is such a threat, Dicko looked sharp and Cavaleiro put a couple of quality deliveries in and all but scored, Hutton got lucky with the block. I thought Prince did quite well too as he shouldn't be playing from the left but played some decent passes and particularly in the second half showed his real strength is late runs into the box.

Zenga needs to find a way for us to play like we did in the second half from the start of games and really impose our strengths on teams and this needs to start happening quickly. We have dropped a few points already that we really shouldn't have done.

Agree with all that Slink.

Saiss is one of the best midfielders at this level.

and a first I believe for Saiss at Wolves - A game without getting a yellow card?

Agree with all that Slink.

Saiss is one of the best midfielders at this level.

He's also clearly not 100% fit which is scary. His knee is still heavily bandaged and he's not turning or accelerating right at all. We'll definitely see how good he really is on Tuesday, Kayal is the best centre mid in the division IMO and Stephens is not far behind him. It'll be his toughest game so far and it'll be interesting to see how he gets on.

Back