• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome back, Richard Stearman

Hope so. It was like welcoming an old friend back yesterday. Sure, Stears has his faults but he also has many positives and he absolutely bleeds gold and black. That'll do for me.

Instant upgrade on Hause yesterday and makes the rest of the defence play better.

Seemed like he had never been away - what was noticeable from the commentary was how many times he was throwing his body on the line to block off shots

Conceeded a penalty as a result, though not sure that that was the correct decision, but none of the others back there were doing that

He played well yesterday (penalty award very hard to see even on the reply but he totally deserved his booking) but I still found his 'heroes welcome' a bit odd. I'm sure a lot of those fans were the ones giving him dogs abuse just over 12 months ago.

Still I guess it's better than a bad reception.

This was my first game for quite some time, so seeing Stears in the heart of our defence, putting his body on the line for the team looked perfectly normal to me! I thought the penalty was a little harsh, but his arm was raised, so ... you win some, you lose some. Of course, he still makes the odd rash decision, like tackling the guy up the corner when he was going nowhere, fouling him and picking up a deserved booking. That's Stears for you ...

Hope so. It was like welcoming an old friend back yesterday. Sure, Stears has his faults but he also has many positives and he absolutely bleeds gold and black. That'll do for me.

That says it all for me as well. If we are to achieve promotion then Stears will have an important part to play.

Still happy with this one lads?

Good to see him doing his PASHUN armflinging after it was him that cost us a goal. Again. Like he'd never been away.

Fulham are playing a hell of a lot better since he left...

Wasn't it Einstein who said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

Certainly rings true when it comes to Stearman. We already knew exactly what he was like, so we can't be surprised when he makes his trademark rickett. It was ridiculous decision to take him back and I definitely didn't support it at the time and still don't.

Wasn't it Einstein who said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

Certainly rings true when it comes to Stearman. We already knew exactly what he was like, so we can't be surprised when he makes his trademark rickett. It was ridiculous decision to take him back and I definitely didn't support it at the time and still don't.

Also rings true with picking most of the Jackett flops. Surprise surprise, we're in the shit again

if you do what youve always done you get what youve always got.

Paul Lambert needs to read that line

At the time bearing in mind Williamson was injured and no other potential signings coming in it made sense. Batth and Stears had a decent enough partnership at this level and for half a season it certainly shouldn't be an issue. Has hasn't played much and when he has I don't think he can be a scapegoat for goals conceded (Iorfa and Doc to blame against SW)

I think the plan was always that we would get a top CB in and I think they tried in the summer but it didn't come off, I fully expect it will be top priority in January even more so given how things have panned out.

That said I really think you can't take away how much of an impact a poor fullback has on the back 4, I have seen enough with Doc he shouldn't be playing at this level and Iorfa is desperately short on confidence and needs protecting. We actually have experience in that area in Silvio and I can't understand why he hasn't been more involved.

Interesting reading this back how the opinions change game to game. I want to see more of Stears and Hause and dare I say I would be more than happy if we signed him permanently again. Since he came back in the side he has contributed to much better defending. Even though Batth has improved of late I think he should be behind Stears, Hause and Williamson (when fit)

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Stears has lifted his game, keep it going

I've always thought Stearman is a decent Champ defender, in fact he wasn't terrible in the Prem, glad he's showing decent form again. He's not the messiah but fine for where we are now and OK as back up when we improve, wouldn't mind if we signed him back up. I was firmly in the, 'we have to sign a new defender at all costs' camp but not so sure now, don't know if its Willi having just one game to show the others how its done or PL's coaching but our defenders (all of them) look solid again, now I'd say don't spunk money on a January gamble, see how they perform for the rest of the season and decide then

He was excellent yesterday but I still don't want him to sign permanently. He'll need to put in a few more performances like that for me to change my mind on him.

He was excellent yesterday but I still don't want him to sign permanently. He'll need to put in a few more performances like that for me to change my mind on him.

Likewise, I said last week that there's no point playing like he did against Villa if he then goes and gifts a goal away against Norwich the following week (I do think he is at fault for the opener, blind header into a terrible area). Yesterday - and indeed Villa - are the kind of games he loves, the bulk of the action firmly in his areas and he does a lot of heading away, "put everything on the line" blocks and firefighting clearances. Which is fine to a point but there are plenty of other times where the opposition don't do that and he struggles.

I can't doubt his love and passion for the club but I do want better - in fact I think we've already got better in Hause.

I'm probably over simpliflying things, but I don't get the 'he's always got a mistake in him' idea, surely every player in every team has this? obviously at CB or striker it really shows up especially if those around you have error srewn games at the same time

I think what yesterday proved that Hause needs an experienced head alongside him as he's really good with that leader next to him. Stears and Williamson both do that, sadly Danny Batth isn't that player.

I think Hanley would be a better option for us long term as he is that type of player.

Back