• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Wolves - Conor Coady

Last season we really struggled when Evans and McDonald hit a dip and price was on loan Saville shit and Rowe at left back. It makes sense to sign a player for that type of player (IMO) and if we've spent two million on him he is clearly rated highly by the club.

Huddersfield fans are very disappointed, I will take that as a good sign!

Deja Vu for me, it seems much like when Wolves signed George Saville. Conor Coady comes with a good pedigree and has a tidy all round game. The problem I have with both of them is they don't shine with any particular talent, just proficient at everything.

Saville hasn't had a full season at this level, mind.

One thing he will hopefully offer more of than Price or KMac is a goal threat - albeit he only scored 3 last year. Return from central midfield last year simply wasn't enough - what was it between JP and KM? One?

Yep and it hit Price and went in. McDonald should have scored vs Brentford but somehow ballsed it up from four yards and fortunately the defender knocked it in anyway. McDonald's shooting is a joke 99% of the time, no technique at all. The only time I have seen him properly lace a shot was vs Middlesbrough last season, if it went in it would have been even better than Henry's vs Bolton. But he hasn't done it since, back to sidefoot efforts that barely even reach the goal.

Coady's career tally of 8 in 83 doesn't exactly promote confidence that his arrival will improve that area's goal output.

Just to follow on from other comments, I really don't see Wallace as a wide player at all and Van La Parra doesn't look fit for purpose to me in a front three. We need to sign someone, RVLP couldn't consistently keep the shirt away from James Henry last season so expecting him to fill Sako's shoes is fanciful at best.

Coady sounds like a more rounded player than Price. He looks like a presence too which I think will help at times.

We're obviously not going to play the same XI week in, week out and against the right opposition the three Johnny has mentioned would be suitable, but I really like the look at a Coady, KMac, Wallace central three. Wallace loves to roam too.

I think Wallace may be the replacement for Sako and as you say I think he'll roam in and basically play the Hazard role with Golbourne/ Deslandes/ A.N. Other steaming up the left flank.

Don't know much about him but I'll be fully behind him. 22 is the age when a footballer starts hitting his stride so he might prove to be a great signing over the next 3 years.

If we've bought him just as a like for like replacement for Price, defensive midfielder for defensive midfielder, I really don't see the point. From what I have seen he isn't any better than Price defensively or in possession. He isn't going to offer much going forward.

If we've bought him with an eye on changing formation then I still think he's the wrong kind of midfielder for us.

In the longer term he just looks ordinary to me, I don't see him as anything more than an average-to-decent Championship midfielder, that doesn't help us out as we progress.

Like I say I hope I am wrong, but if you'd asked me to name 20 midfielders I thought we could realistically try to sign this summer I wouldn't have named him. Maybe not even 50 midfielders.

I understand your reservations. I've only seen Coady a couple of times and the first time was against us last Oct. and I have to say he looked impressive, topped off with a cracking goal. When I found out he was only 21 I thought how lucky H'field had been in signing him.

KJ has said all along that he wants two players for each position and I feel Price was the only defensive mid. that we had, so I'm hoping that Coady can fill that other position. He's only 22, and if you feel he's OK for the C'ship, then he's got time to grow and get better, hopefully.

The only problem with this narrower formation is we can ill afford any passengers at full back meaning if Golbournes issues persist Hause cannot be an option unless we change the entire system, don't get me wrong he came in and did well but he seldom got up and supported Sako and it was obvious in that instance he isn't a full back at all.

Agree we need another LB.

Whether KJ sees Hause or Rowe as a short-term solution, he must realise that Golbourne's injury could be long-term, and now is the time to get another LB.

Welcome to Wolves. I think Coady could be a decent signing. It will be interesting to see where KJ intends playing him.

Welcome to Molineux Conor.

Happy with this signing. Got a feeling he could be exactly the right type of player we need in beside McDonald. Lots of energy, physical presence, efficient passing and more dynamic than Price/Rowe/Saville.

Not Coady related I know but I feel like a LOT of expectation is being put on Wallace to make the step up from lower-end League 2 to a promotion chasing Championship team. That is a huge step! I haven't seen loads of Jed and KJ obviously rates him but it's ultimately a leap into the unknown with him.

Kightly had to make an even bigger jump, don't forget. Pompey fans really rated Wallace so hopefully he can make the step up.

From what I've seen of him he is a classy player and was obviously well above that level but I'm just a bit concerned how much we are expecting of him immediately. Might take a bit of time to adjust. Kights was a gem to be fair, for every Kightly there's 10 Bradley Reids.

Not really seen much of Coady, so not sure what kind of midfielder he is or if he's an improvement but Im prepared to see how he goes and that means more than a couple of games before we get on his back. We absolutely need reinforcements in CM, Kmac is good when he has time, Ptice improved loads last season but we need an alternative, Evans just isn't good enough (yet). When we have issues in central midfield we usually end up shoe-horning Edwards in there and we know he jusn't isn't a CM.

Edwards in a 4-4-2 is a licence to fail. It really is. Dave worked only when ahead of McDonald and either Price or Evans. That isn't going to happen as we want Afobe and Dicko both on the pitch.

Edwards in 4-4-2 works about 1 in 15 attempts.

Last season's 1 being v Bournemouth.

Back