• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Wolves Enso Gonzalez

This made me smile from my limited use of Duolingo when I thought learning a new language during lockdown was a good idea.
Learning a new language is always a good idea!

“If it’s up to me, I want to play in the next match but like I said, all in time. They told me to just relax & to adapt myself well and O’Neil said he didn’t want to burn me out on the pitch."
Take notes, Fabio. This is the right way to sound hungry.

Take notes, Fabio. This is the right way to sound hungry.
To be fair there’s a massive difference isn’t there? Gonzalez is still a kid and has been here five minutes. He knows he’s got a way to go. Fabio has been here years now and, despite what he thinks of his own ability, is constantly being reminded he’s not good enough (he isn’t). He probably would have said the same prior to Raul’s injury, it’s just been downhill from there. If you hit 21 and are happy to be sat there being overlooked you’re probably never going to make it anyway.

Not that I’m condoning Fabio’s behaviour, I’m not, but you can’t compare the two as they’re completely different situations.

To be fair there’s a massive difference isn’t there? Gonzalez is still a kid and has been here five minutes. He knows he’s got a way to go. Fabio has been here years now and, despite what he thinks of his own ability, is constantly being reminded he’s not good enough (he isn’t). He probably would have said the same prior to Raul’s injury, it’s just been downhill from there. If you hit 21 and are happy to be sat there being overlooked you’re probably never going to make it anyway.

Not that I’m condoning Fabio’s behaviour, I’m not, but you can’t compare the two as they’re completely different situations.
You're not exactly wrong, but no matter the time he's been here, that's the mindset Fabio needs to stay in if he's going to be successful here or anywhere, IMO.

You're not exactly wrong, but no matter the time he's been here, that's the mindset Fabio needs to stay in if he's going to be successful here or anywhere, IMO.
He does but it’s way too late here. He’s never going to be good enough. I think it’s a moot point. But if Gonzalez hits 21 and hasn’t made a scratch on the first team I dare say he won’t be saying the same things.

In all of this, I am reminded of how it took Harry Kane 5 years to break into the Spurs side and become the force he has become. He was 21 / 22 at that time.

Are we comparing Fabio to Harry Kane here?

Hope not. Would be like comparing the bloke flipping burgers in McDonald’s with Heston Blumenthal

He is already older than Kane was once he'd established himself in the Spurs side. He became a regular at the end of the 2013/4 season aged 20 and won PFA Young POTS the following year. The Truthers won't let that one go because for years it was their trump card to ignore the evidence of their own eyes

He is already older than Kane was once he'd established himself in the Spurs side. He became a regular at the end of the 2013/4 season aged 20 and won PFA Young POTS the following year. The Truthers won't let that one go because for years it was their trump card to ignore the evidence of their own eyes
I looked at Fabio versus other 'generational talents' the other day for a comparison. He's nowhere fucking near.

Posted a couple of weeks back, England forwards and their age when first capped:

Harry Kane (21)
Marcus Rashford (18)
Raheem Sterling (17)
Tammy Abraham (20)
Dominic Calvert-Lewin (23)
Wayne Rooney (17)
Danny Welbeck (20)
Danny Ings (23)
Daniel Sturridge (22)
Jermain Defoe (21)
Theo Walcott (17)
Darren Bent (22)
Emile Heskey (21)
Michael Owen (18)
Alan Smith (20)
Darius Vassell (21)
Robbie Fowler (20)
Andy Cole (23)
Alan Shearer (21)

Fabio (21) is miles off the senior Portugal squad, hasn't scored a Premier League goal for two and a half years and is going backwards if anything.

He just needs to go somewhere, try and forge himself something of a career. We don’t (and never have since he joined) have the luxury of waiting to see if he can develop in time to help us, no matter what fee we paid for him.

In all of this, I am reminded of how it took Harry Kane 5 years to break into the Spurs side and become the force he has become. He was 21 / 22 at that time.

I've still got high hopes for Ethan Ebanks-Landell.

Still only 30.

Back