• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Wolves Tommy Doyle

He might get a bit distracted around Halloween...

The issue is where does he play. He's not an advanced attacking midfielder, he was more of a deeper player at Sheff Utd, while Berge and Mcatee got forwards ahead of him.

With Lemina, Gomes and Cunha making up the central three, who does he replace?

The issue is where does he play. He's not an advanced attacking midfielder, he was more of a deeper player at Sheff Utd, while Berge and Mcatee got forwards ahead of him.

With Lemina, Gomes and Cunha making up the central three, who does he replace?
Squad game. Lemina/Gomes/Boubacar/Doyle is good midfield depth. Hodge as 5th choice if Reed doesn't come in.

As you say a no brainer at the price. I think he could go on to have a reasonable career as a mid to lower PL player in a team who set up to maximise his strengths and hide his weaknesses, he reminds me of Will Hughes in that sense. I don't think that will in a GON Wolves team though the identity of which seems to be about timed pace and intensity in and out of possession

I like him, think he's a good player but echo the thoughts of other regarding his suitability to our starting set ups. Not really mobile enough to be played to be as a starter in a 2 man central midfield, not quite creative enough as the spare man in a 3 in games where we are expected to have more possession, and Traore is already ahead of him in games in a 3 where we aren't expected to have the ball.
He doesn't let us down when he plays though and is a good squad option.

Strange that we've announced it today?

Could be any number of reasons

- Something like appearances/our finishing position/whatever triggered the clause

- Might be we can now put it into this year's PSR calculations so there's more room next year (Cunha went into 22/23 despite not officially joining until 1 July 2023)

- We have nothing better to put out there and it's broadly speaking positive news

- Someone else had shown an interest and we just wanted to head that off

Not unprecedented either, we announced Helder Costa and Raul before their loan was up, possibly Jota and Jonny too from memory

Tbf our lowest ranked CM a year ago was Joe Hodge. He's not a floor, he's the earth's core.

I do like Doyle, but there's a lot of work to do with his defensive game. Can't be letting players run off you so easily, especially if you're playing deep. There lies the road to becoming Kevin McDonald.

I think that's teachable / learnable so hopefully something he adds to his game. He seems like someone who is willing to listen and learn too.

I think that's teachable / learnable so hopefully something he adds to his game. He seems like someone who is willing to listen and learn too.
Sometimes players are limited by their physical ability.

He strikes me as one of those types of players.

Back