• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

West Ham (H) 6/4: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not when you look at the table.

Might be wrong but I think we're the only team in our little group that has to play Liverpool, Arsenal & City, with 2 of them away as well. I think we really needed to be in a commanding lead by the Arsenal game rather than still 'in the thick of it'.

I think it's really tough to predict at this stage, particularly as the assumption seems to be we'll definitely lose on Saturday?

Of course losing that would be a big dent, but West Ham at home is a winnable game.

We win that we could be 7th!

I don't think we'll lose on Saturday (as I say they're in about the same form as us).

We probably have to beat all of Bournemouth, Luton and Palace at home.

Digging into it deeper, their league form has been quietly shite for the whole of 2024.

P12 W2 D6 L4 F17 A25 Pts 12

The two wins were vs Brentford (who are in shocking form themselves, 3 wins from 20 and none since they beat us nearly two months ago) and Everton (not won for nearly four months, was 1-1 going into injury time and then they pinched two late goals).

Digging into it deeper, their league form has been quietly shite for the whole of 2024.

P12 W2 D6 L4 F17 A25 Pts 12

The two wins were vs Brentford (who are in shocking form themselves, 3 wins from 20 and none since they beat us nearly two months ago) and Everton (not won for nearly four months, was 1-1 going into injury time and then they pinched two late goals).

They're in one of those stages where the fans that go every week can see how shit it is but nobody else has realised yet so their fans keep getting told how ungrateful they are. Made worse by Davey boy wading in with a nice smug 'I told you so' every time they pick up a decent result.

They're in one of those stages where the fans that go every week can see how shit it is but nobody else has realised yet so their fans keep getting told how ungrateful they are. Made worse by Davey boy wading in with a nice smug 'I told you so' every time they pick up a decent result.
Had that from pretty much all my non-Wolves mates under Lage.

"You're doing alright aren't you, top half, no danger of going down, what are you moaning about".

You don't have to watch us every week or listen to his garbled gibberish, pal.

His substitutions in giving control of the Newcastle game back to the home side when 3-1 up were sackable on their own

Unfortunately they have much more attacking threat than we do, so a loss is more likely than a win IMO - Bowen, Kudus, Paqueta, Antonio.

We have Sarabia, a half fit Cunha, an 18 year old, and a LB.

That talent isn't helping them win many games right now though, is it?

I did say more likely, not guaranteed.

If someone gave me a fiver to put on either team, it wouldn't be us.

Team news: "Channy and Daws both trained today, so lets see how they get on. Bellegarde is still not available but he's doing better now. Cunha is having no issues and feeling good."

On Europe: "We're still in with a shout with 8 games to go. It will take a lot of hard work, but we're pleased with the position we're in. West Ham will be a test, but one we're really looking forward to."

On Ait-Nouri: "He's very talented. Since we've moved him further forward he's continued to do well. He'll be key for us tomorrow."

On success: "The players deserve the credit. They've surpassed everyone's expectations and they still want to push. It's on me to try and guide them. They've had a lot of praise from me."

On disappointment at not getting a striker: "It was more of an explanation of the situation we're in and it's something to learn from. The club have invested a lot over the years but they're not in a position right now to do that. We tried but couldn't do something."

"Everyone knew our financial restrictions and we're doing our best to still succeed. We need to learn from it for next season."

On future: "There's been no discussions yet on my future and I have a long time left on my current contract. There will be discussions about what we can and can't do next season. The club will also want to know my plans for the group and I need to keep performing."

"I could have rotated the squad more, but we might not be on 42 points. We felt it was the way to give us the best chance of being successful and we've been unlucky with injuries being in the same area of the pitch."

Last edited:
Thought he was backing down again but “we need to learn from it for next season” still carries a point.

I fucking hope to God we actually get a few quality players over the summer. I don’t know how those who have already accepted that we won’t carry on paying attention every week.

I believe we can get a result on Saturday (1-1 draw). That only happens if we score 2nd. Might even nick it in the end with a great counter as long as its Cunha on the receiving end. If Wolves score 1st they'll play up tempo for a few minutes but would return to sitting back and letting West Ham to attack and attack. Don't see Sa keeping a clean sheet with that defense in front of him. Another 85+ min goal seems about right. I hope I'm wrong, but I see a 1-2 defeat. Just can't see us scoring 2+ goals yet. Need a senior attack team (Sarabia, Cunha, + either Hwang/Neto) to be able to keep pressure on the other team.

Thought he was backing down again but “we need to learn from it for next season” still carries a point.
It carried a point in 2 of the previous 4(?) Seasons too!

We still did it again.

Kudos has looked really dangerous in his last few games, the sort of player we struggle to deal with (as evidenced at their place too)

Edit: Kudus - just shows I use Strava too much that it autocorrected. 🙄

Expect West Ham to win this at a canter. Burnley were dreadful and easy to cut apart and still we could only manage a draw. West Ham are a decent side and I can see them scoring 3 and I don't see us scoring. Can only hope I'm wrong. As for Europe, there is no way we are ready for that. Our squad is wafer thin and even with some recruitment in the Summer, I don't see us doing what is necessary to be competitive in Europe and the Prem. Finances are still a concern and we won't be splashing huge cash around. Think that outside the so called big 6, every club is having to review how they go about things.

On the plus side its a Saturday 3:00 at home where we have been pretty good of late and we should have Cunha for at least part of the game so hopefully more joy to be had than at Turf Moor on Tuesday night

Expect West Ham to win this at a canter. Burnley were dreadful and easy to cut apart and still we could only manage a draw. West Ham are a decent side and I can see them scoring 3 and I don't see us scoring. Can only hope I'm wrong. As for Europe, there is no way we are ready for that. Our squad is wafer thin and even with some recruitment in the Summer, I don't see us doing what is necessary to be competitive in Europe and the Prem. Finances are still a concern and we won't be splashing huge cash around. Think that outside the so called big 6, every club is having to review how they go about things.

Cheer up ffs😃

There's a chance we'll lose but I don't expect West Ham to win at a canter, it'll be a close game imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back