• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

What are you currently listening to....

I've never heard it - not after hearing their 3rd album (which I can't even remember the name of!!)

Continuing the mid-noughties theme, I'm currently listening to I'm Wide Awake It's Morning by Bright Eyes.

This morning, on my cycle into work I was listening to Relentless, by Bill Hicks.

Take It Where You Find It. - Van Morrison.
And before that, Astral Weeks.
Everyone's out and I'm re jigging the study, in which sits my sound system.

My goodness, it's very loud!
Like Concert loud.
Things are vibrating inside me, my chest cavity for one!

Wire - Mr Suit

Trying to persuade my daughter that this is proper music!

Video for wire mr suit you tube▶ 1:26
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwJCUn0ndwA
16 Aug 2010 - Uploaded by Crazyrudie
Wire - Mr Suit. ... The ultimate fuck you to mr. bossman. No, no, no, no, no, .... Oh my...there's ...

Nirvana - Nevermind. Not heard it for a while.

By no means a poor album - it's a good listen - but I think it's massively overrated. As are Nirvana as a band actually. I like most of their stuff (their Unplugged album is my favourite) and I think they were a good band but I've never really understood why they were so massive.

I think they were a very much of their time band. Remember that the charts were full of cack like Guns n Roses, Poison etc. Hair metal and stuff like Motley Crue was the scene at the time. They were quite a reactionary band I think.
They did help bring "alternative" music and stayles to the fore.

Kinda ironic though that a lot of their success was down to heavy rotation on mtv, as well as live stuff being on mtv a lot too.
I always preferred In Utero, studio albums wise. I can remember having a cassette of their reading set (subsequently released) that got played to death. Their live sets were generally great.

Their contrast in styles of quiet/loud, as well as some very melodic stuff (eg Lithium) was very effective imo.

There is something about Nirvana (and Kurt in particular) that just connects with rock kids. He's been dead for over 20 years yet generation after generation of rock kids idolise him and Nirvana (as I did as a 13/14 year old kid). I'm with LJ, In Utero is their best studio album. I rarely listen to Bleach or Nevermind but always come back to In Utero every so often.

Looking back now, I personally find Pearl Jam's Ten & Vs to be better than anything Nirvana did. Tracks 2-6 off Ten are probably my favourite sequence of tracks off any album ever.

Last edited:
There is something about Nirvana (and Kurt in particular) that just connects with rock kids. He's been dead for over 20 years yet generation after generation of rock kids idolise him and Nirvana (as I did as 13/14 year old kid). I'm with LJ, In Utero is their best studio album. I rarely listen to Bleach or Nevermind but always come back to In Utero every so often.

Looking back now, I personally find Pearl Jam's Ten & Vs to be better than anything Nirvana did. Tracks 2-6 off Ten are probably are probably my favourite sequence of tracks off any album ever.

Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Smashing Pumpkins etc are all better bands, better musicians etc, but I think Nirvana are still the most important and relevant as the subject matter is relevant to every disaffected youth. Songs about alienation, bullying, depression, unrequited love, anger, futility appealed to all of us when we were young and will appeal to many many generations after us.

I think the fact that Kurt committed suicide has cemented his place as a legend with teenagers as he didnt just sing about doing it, he went off and did it

Stone Temple Pilots' Plush is my favourite song of that era. Obviously not the best band of that bunch, but that song is something else.

Stone Temple Pilots' Plush is my favourite song of that era. Obviously not the best band of that bunch, but that song is something else.

especially when the dogs begin to smell her.

I quite liked nirvana, though I don't find their albums have endured for me in the way that say, surfer rosa or doolittle have. they just caught the world at the right time. i'd still enjoy listening to all their stuff.

i've just recorded manic pop thrill off the vinyl. absolutely full of scratches here and there. spent 3-4 hours over the weekend trying to remove some and I think I've ended up distorting some of the vocals. what a knob, lol. great album though, esp the A side.

Del Woppios version of Shake it off. Not bad!!! Good voice.

I couldn't stand Stone Temple Pilots.

Agree with t-dan on Pearl Jam. I've a PJ bootleg from the Vs tour that is absolutely immense!
In fact, here it is!

Going through Seasick Steve's back catalogue today. In order:

Dog House Music
I Started Out With Nothin (And I Still Got Most of it Left)
Man From Another Time
You Can't Teach An Old Dog New Tricks
Sonic Soul Surfer

I need to find a copy of Hubcap Music as I don't have that.

Pulp - Different Class.

Timeless. Love it.

Back