• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Whisk(e)y

Had 3 bottles of different whiskies from the Powerscourt Distillery in Wicklow.
Fercullen 8 year old blended, Fercullen 10 year old single grain and a Fercullen 14 year old single malt.
Now I love whiskey (and whisky) but for many years I've been drinking all sorts, many different Speyside whiskies, lowlands and highland blends including the successfully marketed (for the tourist industry) Glenmorangie and whilst some were fairly anonymous I personally don't seem to have particularly distinctive or highly developed taste buds for any one to stand out and say, "This is a superb whisky".
Balvenie and Tamdhu and Glenfiddich, Ardmore and Macallan stick in my memory, then the whole range of Bushmills, Paddy and Jameson's from Ireland are all worth a shout (particularly the Bushmills Purple Label) and one of the most expensive Whiskey is Middleton, particularly the triple distilled so smooth you can hardly get any distinctive character from it at all - a shame at around €75 a bottle.
So I was given these 3 Fercullen whiskies to try and reading the tasting notes on the back, I have honey, vanilla, rich plums, buttered almonds, candy orange, oak, citrus, spice and many mentions of bourbon casks, which I actually got, but I don't honestly know what these guys are on or where they've been, but I think a lot of the discriptors are just spinning a wheel and see where it lands...
Same as some of those fuckers that write wine labels... An entirely different breed. God, there's an awful lot of snobbery in wine and whisky circles.
Talisker, Laphroig and Connemara are more distinctive and more to my taste. And memory.

Only really tried one Japanese Whisky and I thought it was lovely. Would leave tasting notes but pointless

japan_hib9.jpg

Sidenote - Glad I wasn't paying for this....how fooking much!! https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/20331/suntory-hibiki-12-year-old-half-litre

Nikka From The Barrel.

A sweet honey tasting whiskey (most Japanese whiskeys are sweet apparently) at around £45/€60. Always gets very well reviewed.

I learned all this from an "Irish people try cheap vs expensive alcohol" video on YouTube. The one above was the cheap one and they all preferred it.

Leaving Japan on Saturday and it’s cheap, so feel like I need to buy some Japanese Whisky.

Any recommendations? Not WH though :)
Some names to look out for are Nikka, Yoichi, Yamazaki, Hibiki, Hakushu, Hatozaki, Miyagikyo, Togouchi, Karuizawa...

I tend to steer clear of Japanese whisky though. There was a bit of a Japanese whisky craze about a decade ago and demand completely outstripped supply, the result being that most of what's left is very young and very expensive. Most Japanese whisky is produced in a Scottish style anyway so most of what's good over there you can get the same or better for much cheaper back home.

The laws around what distilleries can call 'Japanese Whisky' are much looser than in other countries as well. Not unheard of for Japanese distilleries to ship whisky over from Scotland, slap some Kanji on the bottle and call it their own.

Some names to look out for are Nikka, Yoichi, Yamazaki, Hibiki, Hakushu, Hatozaki, Miyagikyo, Togouchi, Karuizawa...

I tend to steer clear of Japanese whisky though. There was a bit of a Japanese whisky craze about a decade ago and demand completely outstripped supply, the result being that most of what's left is very young and very expensive. Most Japanese whisky is produced in a Scottish style anyway so most of what's good over there you can get the same or better for much cheaper back home.

The laws around what distilleries can call 'Japanese Whisky' are much looser than in other countries as well. Not unheard of for Japanese distilleries to ship whisky over from Scotland, slap some Kanji on the bottle and call it their own.
Thanks. Will look out for one of the above, don’t really want to spend a fortune but I have liked the odd Japanese whisky in the past and would be good to bring one back.

Nikka and Hibiki were the two names I came to drop, but I see I've been beaten to it.

I've always found Japanese whisky a bit too sweet for me, just mho...

Just home from a week in the Highlands of Scotland and thought I'd treat myself to a few whisky's.

Had a tour ot the Balblair distillery and got a 15yr old single malt, a look around Thompson of Dornoch (where we stayed) and bought one of theirs, then after a bit of a taster session got an Ancnoc 12yr old single malt

Whisky.jpg

Rare Mcallan is INSANE prices. They did a stunning special edition called the Reach (I think) and the prices for that on pre order were tens of thousands. If one of those comes up at auction it would be approaching the price in that article in a few years I suspect. Very small run and the bottle presentation is stunning in the pictures. I think it was 81 year old when bottled.

I honestly wouldn't know. I don't do spirits.
The equivalent of someone paying a few million for a case of Brewdog because they saw James Bond drinking a Punk IPA.

Back