• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-0 Blues: The Verdict

There aren't people suggesting we should BUY Helan are there? Nowhere near good enough for a top 6 team, assuming that's what we still aspire to be. Blues better team - and sadly, Davis best midfielder on show, but you can't say that man for man they are better than us. Simply a top 6 manager for them and a bottom 6 manager for us.

They had all the attacking play in the last 35 mins or so in the game Norman..come on

Reread your post Norman, and youre saying just that, sorry

There aren't people suggesting we should BUY Helan are there? Nowhere near good enough for a top 6 team, assuming that's what we still aspire to be. Blues better team - and sadly, Davis best midfielder on show, but you can't say that man for man they are better than us. Simply a top 6 manager for them and a bottom 6 manager for us.
Helan's a reasonable loan signing, he offers more than any alternative we would have out there. Wouldn't want to sign him in the Summer though.

Pretty rubbish game, opened up in the second half but think eventually we were lucky to get a point. They sat off of us in the first half so we enjoyed greater possession, but I never thought we truly looked like scoring. Byrne was awful and deservedly subbed, and Helan and Siggy didn't offer much really.

Zyro did at least show some good touches but doesn't quite look fit. We looked much more of a threat with him down the middle. Appalling that he gave mason only five minutes again. KJ is looking a bit silly with that signing right now.

Price MOTM. I thought Hause did well, Iorfa looked loads better and Doherty continued his good form. Not much to comment on the rest really. Great save by Ikeme to earn us the draw.

It really was a game of two teams set up negatively tbf. Fortunately all the blues did was hoof the ball at Donaldson which was playing to Batth and Hause's strength.

I felt the midfield did OK as well, my issue was with the attacking triumvirate of siggy, Helan and Byrne. All three were poor, with Helan being the only one who tried to do anything - even though he got the wrong option on most occasions.

Price should start every time for me. Huge lack of intelligence in our team and that lad seems to be organised, vocal and intelligent. No brainer

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I do hope that Zyro becomes fit enough to start...well, starting games soon! It's obvious the difference he makes when he comes on, I think the beginning parts of the second half were Wolves' best of the game until Blues started to look dangerous!

Fairly drab game few things for me though. Much prefer Hause to EL would like to see Williamson and Hause when fit. Thought Iorfa looked better again today still think he needs a rest but much improved. MOTM Price, how he keeps getting dropped is beyond me.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Proper verdict now I'm back home.

If I were to assess that game in isolation, or if you'd shown it to me 12 months ago when we were playing as we were then, I'd say it was a poor performance with little to commend it. But that would be reviewing a game in no proper context, the context now is we are struggling for fluency and have been for months, with no solidity to pay that off. At the very least, you can say that we're starting to become a little more reliable defensively in as much as teams aren't cutting through us at will and having double digit decent chances. There's a long way to go before we can even think of being proper top six candidates (which should always be our minimum aim at this level) but in a season of precious few positives we can say today was better than a lot of what we've served up. Blues are no great shakes but they have been above us for pretty much the entire campaign and that's two games this season where we've dealt with them pretty well.

Ikeme: As stated previously, I've given him a lot of stick this season and I make no apologies for that. Much improved today though. Claimed crosses better than he has done, much much quicker off his line and one excellent save. Kicking was a bag of wank again but I can deal with that so long as he's getting the other fundamentals right and he did today.

Iorfa: Another big improvement on recent showings, defended a lot better and did try to get forward with more purpose (end product was lacking though).

Batth/Hause: It's simply a far better partnership than the calamitous Batth/EEL offering we've had for most of the season, Hause is better on the ball which gives us a bit more licence to play and he's also nowhere near as cumbersome. They weren't overly troubled by Blues' tactic of lamping it to Donaldson (diving prick, as usual) but dealt with what they had to competently. One excellent near post block by Hause.

Doherty: Defended well again. I don't know whether it's someone on the staff putting a rocket under him or if it's just the penny finally dropping but he's eventually stopped letting cross after cross sail into our box uncontested, a big improvement. He's also showing much more urgency than he has done at any previous stage of his Wolves career, again somewhere along the line he's realised that you have to be proactive and defend on the front foot. However - his attacking mini-burst is going to prove very shortlived, Blues had already worked out today that if you don't let him cut inside or chop onto his right foot then he isn't going to hurt you. We could never really count on that lasting anyway, so long as he carries on defending properly then that'll do for the rest of the season.

Price: A clear MOTM for me, organised well, always on for the short ball, passed it well, some key interceptions...basically the archetypal Jack Price performance. Not going to win you games on his own but he can go a long way to making sure you don't get played through or spend most of the game chasing the ball out of possession.

Coady: Usual story with him, bags of effort, some ok defensive work (and one excellent goal saving tackle on Maghoma) but no quality whatsoever on the ball, a couple of truly risible crosses sum him up in a creative sense. Yet for some reason we often had him deployed as the most advanced of our three midfielders. Nothing's really going to change with him, he isn't a very good footballer, he could do a decent job of playing purely as a defensive midfielder with no attacking responsibilities but we already have Price to do that and he's a better player.

Saville: Thought he had a decent game. He's still learning at this level but he closed down well, looked to get involved in our attacking play, did his defensive bits ok, there is potential there as a box to box midfielder although he has to work on learning when to release the ball and some other decision making aspects.

Helan: He's doing a passable job at the moment in giving our side balance and offering a bit of a physical presence but on showings so far I wouldn't want him permanently even if he were available on a free. Frequently makes the wrong choices, isn't really much of an attacking threat from open play, runs into a lot of blind alleys, doesn't even keep it simple particularly well, so often it's him that concedes possession. Set pieces were cack as well.

Byrne: Very poor display. Oddly reticent to take on his man when you'd think that would be his thing. No real threat and rightly subbed. Coming to a bit of a crossroads as he's now getting a few opportunities and not taking them, Ken won't wait forever.

Sigurdarson: I've granted him slack previously as our football has done him no favours but today we didn't wang the ball miles above his head all the time and we did a much better job of getting bodies around him when he held it up. So less mitigation for him having what was another wholly ineffective time, he just isn't equipped to be a target man, he doesn't have the natural instinct to do it and his lay offs are frequently poor. Industrious when moved wide but little else.

Zyro: An immediate improvement, I like his physical presence and he's pleasingly direct. Unfortunately for him he missed our spell in terms of keeping possession and control of the game so he had limited opportunity to test the Blues back four. Will be starting very soon, if not at Burnley then immediately after the break.

Mason: No real time, we're still none the wiser why we signed him or what we plan to do with him.

Not a performance to wax lyrical over, but neither was it of the abject capitulation or sheer torpor variety that we've seen so often at Molineux in 2015/16.

Awful display again fortunately they couldn't finish. Siggy the non scoring striker was even lamer than usual. Byrne was useless and Helen is over his initial good start and now playing like a real Jackett coached no hoper. Defence was OK with Price in front.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I kind of think the attacking malaise is due to the inability of a Saville/coady combo to give them much to work off - no quick ball in front of them, whilst the opposition are reorganising - by the time our midfield have the ball under control and lump it at them, the defence is organised and set again.

Back