• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-0 Chelsea: Verdict Thread

So harsh on Raul, we're expecting the bloke to hold up play, run the channels, run at players and all with no return really from anywhere else. The bloke is running himself into the ground and all for fans to go he's fucking shit and useless... Come on man.

Just back from the match and caught up on the comments. Thought we played well and worked hard but, to be honest, the overriding sensation is one of relief of not losing it in injury time. That’s fine by me.

You can see the confidence Kilman has growing match by match, really superb to see. Moutinho was excellent I thought, Sa good throughout too. 4 points from the last two games is great and, if it goes ahead, we’ll be beating Watford Boxing Day.

Kante had his arms out like a scarecrow, mis judged the spin off the surface and it hit his arm. I saw it with my own eyes.

I instantly looked at Coote and his reaction looked like someone who saw it but didn’t want to give it, knowing it would result in a red
Right behind it. Hand ball and a red all day long for me.

So harsh on Raul, we're expecting the bloke to hold up play, run the channels, run at players and all with no return really from anywhere else. The bloke is running himself into the ground and all for fans to go he's fucking shit and useless... Come on man.
It's really the hold up play that I'm banging on about most often.

But if we're asking him to do all of those things, it would be super great if he could at least pick one to do well each match. He's far too critical to the way we play for us to be able to get any serious attacking foothold if he's having an off day, and that's been the case in the majority of matches this season.

It's excruciatingly harsh, especially given he's still recovering from that injury, but the fact is we have very little return from him this season, either in goals or in impact from open play.

I don't like having a go at him, or Ruben, or whoever else (as much as it probably seems like I do it for fun), but we need Raul to be better.

But if we're asking him to do all of those things, it would be super great if he could at least pick one to do well each match. He's far too critical to the way we play for us to be able to get any serious attacking foothold if he's having an off day, and that's been the case in the majority of matches this season.

It's excruciatingly harsh, especially given he's still recovering from that injury, but the fact is we have very little return from him this season, either in goals or in impact from open play.

I don't like having a go at him, or Ruben, or whoever else (as much as it probably seems like I do it for fun), but we need Raul to be better.
We need players like Traore, Trincao, Podence, Hwang to try and feed him better.

We need players like Traore, Trincao, Podence, Hwang to try and feed him better.
But who feeds them? Moutinho was great today but he is 35 and scores once a season. Donk has Fabio levels of finishing at times especially around the six yard box . Neves is fine but needs some forward thinking help. Let’s hope our scouts have been busy ready for the business in a fortnight 🤣🤣🤣😜😜

Feels a bit chicken and egg at this point, then. We'll probably just talk each other in circles. Not sure how much more we could possibly ask of someone like Podence than what he delivered today.

Raul can rightfully feel aggrieved that none of the above are consistently any good, but if he thinks he's exempt from that inconsistency he's being arrogant. All of the forwards have to be better, but given how good we know Raul can be, he has to step up in the meantime. He hasn't. Simple as.

I dont think anyone is vilifying the bloke here, but you are allowed to say if he underperforms.
Absolutely he can be criticised but people are vilifying him....maybe not so much on this forum

Which is all OK, but that’s definitively not ‘a fact’. I’m too forgetful really, but he won us all the points against West Ham, Southampton, Newcastle (in which he magicked up opportunities out of nothing periods of play) and Everton off the top of my head - which is half our points? There may be more, and I can’t remember if he definitely won the corner as well as scored the goal against Everton but, no matter, we clearly have not had “very little return”. None of that’s saying he can’t be better, but I’m not having that straw man.

Feels a bit chicken and egg at this point, then. We'll probably just talk each other in circles. Not sure how much more we could possibly ask of someone like Podence than what he delivered today.

Raul can rightfully feel aggrieved that none of the above are consistently any good, but if he thinks he's exempt from that inconsistency he's being arrogant. All of the forwards have to be better, but given how good we know Raul can be, he has to step up in the meantime. He hasn't. Simple as.
Most of that is demonstrably complete fucking rubbish mate.

Just listened to a couple of hours of 5Live. Plenty of discussion about a potential Kane red card and Jota penalty, but the Kante incident or in fact our match altogether wasn’t mentioned at all.

Because it clearly wasn't a red card. I've seen it a few times now. I think the current interpretation of the law is rubbish, but within that it's the correct decision

Most of that is demonstrably complete fucking rubbish mate.
Good point?

He needs to better than he was today and how anyone could argue otherwise is beyond me. Yes, without Raul we're even worse off. But if he's performing to the standard we should be expecting, he doesn't have three goals this season, he has more.

As of right now people are making a lot of excuses for him but those excuses don't make us better going forward.

Sorry Alan - that reads a bit rough! No need for that, just disagree quite strongly :)
No harm done, not the first time I've gotten in hot water for being a dick to one of our stars. ;)

I just think it's incompetence rather than anything bigger than that. The biggest club(ish) in the country got absolutely done over today on the pitch and on both occasions VAR could have fixed it. As has been said before VAR in itself isn't the problem, but when there isn't any desire to improve those operating it, then it becomes it by default. Moutinho not handling the ball at City, doesn't mean Kante did today. It just feels unfair

Shearer on MOTD 2 is not pulling punches regarding officials at Spurs. Let’s see what he thinks when he reviews our game later.

Shearer on MOTD 2 is not pulling punches regarding officials at Spurs. Let’s see what he thinks when he reviews our game later.
I assume he's gonna go for the Ederson on Fraser incident too. Can't understand why that wasn't a pen.

Edit: yep and he went for Mike Riley, using the Jon Moss penalty against us last week as an example of officiating being way below par.

Last edited:
Back