• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-2 Crystal Palace: Verdict Thread

Can’t see us sacking him regardless of what happens. Sacking managers is expensive and we don’t want to spend any money. Plus you look like a laughing stock if you keep sacking managers when from the outside it looks like they have done well (taken on a squad they finished mid table and had them pushing for Europe, no real spend etc.)

Depends a lot on what the spending plans are, if we seriously want to invest even if that's with generated money then I think that he's in trouble. More of the same he'll be fine as a nodding dog.
I think him being prepared to accept a low spend is the only thing that will save him if the performances and results continue as they have recently. Funny how posts expressing concern he'd walk have dried up...

I have a sneeky suspicion Nuno will come back in the summer...
Let’s hope he brings different players and tactics with him then . Personally, you should never go back . Great man , still revered , took us as far as he could . Moutinho as a player coach is about as bigger punt I would would pin 📌. I still think Lage plus new players playing in his preferred way would be more exciting. Surprisingly the full as ditchwater thread hasn’t been bumped . Many must be tempted

What is his preferred way?

Because all the evidence from his time at Wolves points to it being hardly ever attacking (let alone scoring) and playing at pre-season pace? Nearly 20 of our games have been a terrible spectacle. We've only played 27.

Blind faith to think he wants to do anything different, it's based on nothing.

Reactions: jlo
You and I both had concerns about the appointment, but this isn't what it was.

I think he'd like to play expansive football and 4 at the back. The first died in pre season and the second after 3 games. This is a million miles off what Jeff signed up to style wise, otherwise you just keep Nuno. I can't explain why it's so soporific, but don't accept the players revert to type or that there's a edict from elsewhere. Equally, much as I have issues with Bruno and his reaction to this, let's not forgot he's been shafted. That's what happens if you employ someone who gets an opportunity above his usual level of expectation

In other news apparently Hoever has deleted all Wolves content from his social media...very Gen Z move

I can't really be too mad that Lage hasn't transformed us into an attacking team when we don't really have the tools.

Jimenez has been poor for most of the season, Trincao hasn't done anything, Podence has done a few bits and pieces, Adama was sold, Silva isn't ready, neither is Chiquinho and Neto is just coming back.

Obviously we could be more adventurous but when all the attacking players haven't really produced it's hard to increase our output.

The no shows and unnecessary handbrakes are absolutely valid criticisms and as others have said, not new things but things we saw under Nuno. That suggests there is a malaise somewhere in the squad, brought on by lack of quality additions maybe?

You do wonder what we're getting from Lage that we wouldn't be getting from Nuno, because it isn't goals or good football, and he either has limited/no say on transfers and it's a non factor, or he was fine with or even a key part of signing Hwang and Trincao (who are both wank), which would be a concern. He's bigged up as a bit of a master with youth but all he's done there is not pick Cundle for ages when he could have then immediately drop him after a good debut, and marginalise Fabio to the point he frequently never even comes on as sub.

Spending £10m+ on sacking our entire backroom staff then a year's money on top for whatever the new lot are costing us, seems steep. Meanwhile we're all paying a lot more to watch football that is a lot worse than we were watching two years ago.

We don't seem better tactically, we aren't any more fun to watch than the lowest of Nuno's reign (which is absolutely not how he should be judged as a whole), a McGhee-esque record whenever we go behind, crap subs, we were shite in the cups and he doesn't have the personality that Nuno had. Now started saying we played well when we could all see that we didn't (then claiming less than a week later that he was really angry) and digging out players in public.

The jury is very much out, I'm not sure he survives the summer if we go at under 1 PPG (and/or 1 GPG) from here for the rest of the season.

We'd have gone down under Nuno this season. He was finished. I don't know what finished him. Or why. But he was done.

We'd have gone down under Nuno this season. He was finished. I don't know what finished him. Or why. But he was done.
We wouldn't as he'd have been binned in October, but I do take the broader point. Kane got him sacked at Spurs but he didn't do himself any favours. I think Thursday is massive, win that and it's a poor run in a reasonable season. Lose it and go into Everton who have very different form at home to away and I think we are in free fall

We would have been poor under Nuno, I think it's fair to say, but relegated? I don't think the man was capable of that.

Reactions: jlo
What is his preferred way?

Because all the evidence from his time at Wolves points to it being hardly ever attacking (let alone scoring) and playing at pre-season pace? Nearly 20 of our games have been a terrible spectacle. We've only played 27.

Blind faith to think he wants to do anything different, it's based on nothing.
Couldn’t agree more. It’s why I wouldn’t back him to implement ‘the way’ that I’m seeing.

Look at the list of attackers who allegedly can’t find the onion bag. Add to it the experienced players regularly labelled ‘shit’. Wasn’t long ago that a poster on here was bravely saying the unsayable (ah, Stewart Lee!) by laying into Moutinho. Now it turns out all of our young players are entitled brats.

I don’t think this a shockingly unbalanced squad. Too small sure, but it’s all pointing to poor leadership to me, much as some don’t want to see the obvious for some strange reason.

And no, unfortunately I don’t have any faith in the Exec finding anyone better, or even wanting a different archetype, unfortunately. Doesn’t mean I can’t hope.

I also don’t want to see anyone fail. I’m hoping against hope we see something progressive on Thursday, which I would gladly cheer. Eating my words at some point in the future would be just fine with me.

As for Nuno… maybe if he has to reimburse his severance fee Jeff would look at it. Cash back.

Couldn’t agree more. It’s why I wouldn’t back him to implement ‘the way’ that I’m seeing.

Look at the list of attackers who allegedly can’t find the onion bag. Add to it the experienced players regularly labelled ‘shit’. Wasn’t long ago that a poster on here was bravely saying the unsayable (ah, Stewart Lee!) by laying into Moutinho. Now it turns out all of our young players are entitled brats.

I don’t think this a shockingly unbalanced squad. Too small sure, but it’s all pointing to poor leadership to me, much as some don’t want to see the obvious for some strange reason.

And no, unfortunately I don’t have any faith in the Exec finding anyone better, or even wanting a different archetype, unfortunately. Doesn’t mean I can’t hope.

I also don’t want to see anyone fail. I’m hoping against hope we see something progressive on Thursday, which I would gladly cheer. Eating my words at some point in the future would be just fine with me.

As for Nuno… maybe if he has to reimburse his severance fee Jeff would look at it. Cash back.
You sack him and you are just back into the Mendes pot. Silva is now in work, I don't think Fonseca is. We aren't going to have a proper recruitment search...but I'm not going to go back into a May 2021 rant. Genuinely hoping Bruno turns it around

You sack him and you are just back into the Mendes pot. Silva is now in work, I don't think Fonseca is. We aren't going to have a proper recruitment search...but I'm not going to go back into a May 2021 rant. Genuinely hoping Bruno turns it around
I’m sure you’re right. I also hope for a turnaround. I don’t see it (as essentially I suspect his form of leadership won’t work), but so what and I’ll be clapping him on and hoping for some improvement Thursday.

We're not going down, the squad is limited and probably as high up the table as can reasonably be expected. It's dire football but maybe this is all they're capable of as a group of players.

Whatever happens I'd give Lage at least the summer and then a good portion of next season, that'd be 3 transfer windows. Appreciate he probably doesn't have all the say in transfers but I'd imagine he's giving a profile of the type of players he wants. Nuno was always going to be a huge act to follow and the squad is still stocked with players from that era. I'm a none season ticket holder though so it's easy for me to say, I'm not paying through the nose not to watch such uninspiring football at the minute.

We're not going down, the squad is limited and probably as high up the table as can reasonably be expected. It's dire football but maybe this is all they're capable of as a group of players.

Whatever happens I'd give Lage at least the summer and then a good portion of next season, that'd be 3 transfer windows. Appreciate he probably doesn't have all the say in transfers but I'd imagine he's giving a profile of the type of players he wants. Nuno was always going to be a huge act to follow and the squad is still stocked with players from that era. I'm a none season ticket holder though so it's easy for me to say, I'm not paying through the nose not to watch such uninspiring football at the minute.
I think there’s a lot in what you say, but I fundamentally don’t believe that what we’ve been watching is all they’re capable of as a group of players. That’s a large part of the frustration.

I don't think there's any point giving him the Summer based on him enforcing an identity. We sign (or don't) whoever the club wants to and the Head Coach has to make the best of it. The last 2 windows should tell us that. If they think he's the best guy to do that (and keeps his trap shut) he probably stays, if not he doesn't

You and I both had concerns about the appointment, but this isn't what it was.

I think he'd like to play expansive football and 4 at the back. The first died in pre season and the second after 3 games. This is a million miles off what Jeff signed up to style wise, otherwise you just keep Nuno. I can't explain why it's so soporific, but don't accept the players revert to type or that there's a edict from elsewhere. Equally, much as I have issues with Bruno and his reaction to this, let's not forgot he's been shafted. That's what happens if you employ someone who gets an opportunity above his usual level of expectation

In other news apparently Hoever has deleted all Wolves content from his social media...very Gen Z move
He has, which as you say is very Gen Z.

Bruno has had players he wanted. Adama, Trincao, Chiquinho, Hwang. Let's not pretend we haven't given him players.

Back