• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-2 Southampton (FAC): The Verdict

It meant Southampton could play a high line knowing we weren't going to get in behind them which certainly didn't help matters
Indeed. He has no pace and no ability to hold the ball up. It’s as bad as Kilman at LB, except he’s in his rightful position.

I’m disappointed in Nuno tonight, and I rarely criticise him, but that was the last important game left this season and the side he picked made it clear it was less of a priority than the league game on Sunday. Really poor.

MGW looked lively - much more lively than Vitinha who didn’t get into the game.

I thought Silva did some decent things but was still obviously lightweight - but Jose didn’t look like an upgrade at all.

Donks not a defender - shit backpass for the second goal, and awful attempts at playing offside.

Hoever can’t cross at all. Ait Nouri probably can cross, but doesn’t.

can’t wait for the season to end now, it’s really depressing how half arsed everything is.

What’s the alternative? He’s played plenty with Adama, Podence and Neto and looked the same as today. Give him a year and maybe considering him starting then.
The alternative is we play either the grown up that Sociedad didn't want, or we give the kid half a chance and play him in a two.

Like I say, he's not ready for anything other than training and cameos at the moment, particularly as an isolated front man.

I assume tonight was a sacrifice for league points let’s hope it doesn’t backfire! Southampton are on a poor run and we’ve given them free reign to turn it round

This loss really is the responsibility of Nuno to own. Failing to start a an XI to win the game. A failure numerous Wolves managers have managed to achieve. Pathetic.

Pretty much what DW said.
I'm gutted, while I'm ok with a few changes, that starting 11 was too weak, the 3 youngsters up front on a hiding to nothing.
MGW got into some nice positions but don't remember him being so slow....a wide player he ain't....neither is Vitihna.
Second part of the first half though we were getting into it but started the second half so bad.
When we bought the big guns on our passing deteriorated.
Its bad enough going out of the cup so weakly but its also gunna set us back confidence wise after a bit of a turnaround lately.

The alternative is we play either the grown up that Sociedad didn't want, or we give the kid half a chance and play him in a two.

Like I say, he's not ready for anything other than training and cameos at the moment, particularly as an isolated front man.
He would be fine given some luck & support. Sublime pass to MGW who duly cocked it up.

I still can't fathom why we didn't choose our best lineup in this game and sacrifice the league game.

Oh well, U23s away at villa tomorrow so more suffering to endure :)

A whole load of it stems from the midfield 2. On the very rare occasion one of them played an insightful pass through Vitinha and MGW looked good. The vast majority of the time they were busy receiving the ball 2m from the CBs facing Ruddy.

Front 3 cost us tonight. MGW out of position then taken off just as he was growing into the game. 4231 next time please with players playing where they're supposed to.

My that ones on Nuno has stopped being a list and turned into a scroll.

Just that teamsheet would have given a side low on confidence a boost

Why play a stronger side against Palace when we had 2 games in the next 6 days than we did tonight? If you are going to sack it off, do it early

Now managed to simultaneously damage our confidence for Sunday whilst boosting that of the team we are playing which is a special achievement

Nuno's worst interview ever too.

Mate, he was onside. Blame the fat arse you picked at centre half who doesn't know how to hold a line properly. How can you argue about that?

Plus you sent that team out when this was clearly the more important game.

I have been reading the matchday thread. Some of you seem like you may need trauma therapy after that. I can't think of anything positive to add.

I’ll get my thoughts out of the way early so I can get on with my life

This was on the cards against a team that were dicked 9 nil, one week ago....ironic, only we could be that calamitous

Pissed about continually feeling like this after four games out of five this season, and passified that we’re on the right path with the odd fluky win or creditable draw

Fact is one game tells you little or nothing, two games you get a line and three games you get a trend, and the trend this season is convincing me that we have moved in the wrong direction

I never comment on build up threads about team selection or systems, but having given a reasonable account against Arse and Leicester, we should have fielded the same team. At least that way, with the main thing that we can at least control, we would get an indication of whether we had any consistency developing.

Chopping, changing and tinkering all season, okay many times due to injury, has fucked our season, and by doing so tonight doesn’t allow you to do this and frankly has undone much of the positives of the last two games

Missed a good opportunity today, hopefully we have learnt something

We keep playing the same way and making the same mistakes and then listening to the same platitudes game after game. We've regressed horribly this season, especially offensively.

What are we looking to learn from this season? What's our game plan for next? Clinging onto our pipe dreams of our mythical 2024/25 dream team is scant comfort

Nuno's worst interview ever too.

Mate, he was onside. Blame the fat arse you picked at centre half who doesn't know how to hold a line properly. How can you argue about that?

Plus you sent that team out when this was clearly the more important game.

100% on the last line. Absolutely no need for that side tonight. I said to you off here before kickoff I didn't like the look of that front 3. We arent going down, we arent making Europe, absolutely no need for us to put that side out tonight. Very disappointed in Nuno tonight, cant ever remember feeling that

Can’t quite put into words how pissed off I am with that team selection. I certainly have at least one foot in the Nuno Out camp tonight. The big gripe for me is that he is getting so little out of so many talented players – we are so much less than the sum of our parts. It’s easy to see Neves, Traore and Neto all going in the summer – and that’s purely down to the way we are setting up.

God help us – and him - if he comes out with the “solutions” and “must improve” crap tonight. He’s let the fans down badly and he’s bloody lucky the stadium was empty

Walton talking absolute wank on BT as per. It either is a foul or it isn't. What do you mean "not enough of a foul"? He doesn't get the ball, does he?

Back