• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-3 Man City: Verdict Thread

I see, I see, sorry!

You are right there was that consensus, Nuno even seemed to think so (fairly big talk about it when he signed that new contract). he started with that lopsided 352 which quickly was rightly binned. Stumbled across the back four due to Coady getting Covid which was then ruined by the injury to Raul.

I just think (benefit of hindsight of course) we needed to continue in the same vein tbh, just keep adding different tools to our armoury. We improved a lot from the first season to second. Beating the teams lower in the league wasn't a massive issue. Spurs are a good example. I was at their game today. Not a proactive team at all until they decide to (second half like us under Nuno). Obviously Conte is a world class example but it can be done in that way.

Covid fucked us really, in various ways that we've all debated many times. And we haven't found a way back on track yet. I think recruitment has largely been very good this summer so a good head coach might have helped us managed to get back to being a proper top half team.
I agree covid has caused us so many issues and we’ve never quite recovered although i’m still optimistic because of the potential that’s obvious in some of our players.

Perhaps the bright lights of the top 4 got everyone a bit too excited and we should have just carried on the way we were.

This is where i’m not sure, I don’t look at any of our forward players and think goals, obviously there definitely is a manager who could get more from them but not sure they would come here whoever they are.

If we get a decent mánager we could be con to something special

We were set up badly from the start today and then basically lost the game after a minute. The first goal is KDB having the freedom of Molineux again. Guedes actually gets back but awful/ non existent communication (or awarenss) between him and RAN sees KDB get an opportunity from a simple overlap and Jonny should do better.

Why do our midfielders never make simple overlaps (Nunes has tried tbf), why do we never deliver it when we do?

We’re still just awful in too many departments. I still don’t know how we actually try to score. We’re not even any good at set pieces anymore.

The manager is unlikeable, plays rubbish football, talks nonsense and doesn’t win. No redeeming qualities. You might accept it if he brought the opposite of just one of those to the table. Can’t wait to see the back of him

As Neves is Captain he's allowed to talk to the referee no?
Yes of course! But he's not talking, he's yelling and gesticulating.... at length! Every time. At length...
We can see on tv, the ref's having none of it. Not now, not in a minute, not in 3 minutes, this time or next.

When I try and judge ourselves I try and do it from a 3rd part view point/neutral.
Would I want to watch Wolves? Absolutely not boring and predictable.
Would I enjoy watching the likes of city taking the likes of Wolves to pieces? Yes
Do Wolves currently offer anything to the premier league? Absolutely not
They’re just like a minor character in soap opera who has to be acknowledged occasionally.
We’re a nothing side, we’re not on our own at all but it’s not very enjoyable all.

Yes of course! But he's not talking, he's yelling and gesticulating.... at length! Every time. At length...
We can see on tv, the ref's having none of it. Not now, not in a minute, not in 3 minutes, this time or next.
All the other captains do it. If anything on the past Coady was guilty of not doing it anywhere near enough. I don't really have an issue with it as as result, it's part of the captain's role to try to influence the referee.

The other shit of falling over (like Podence often does) with nothing doing, and then bitching about it annoys me. However you look at the likes of Kane (who isn't Spurs captain) and he's constantly at the ref every time something goes against him and it definitely influences refs over time in giving him decisions so can see why players do it. In our case we're not really an influential or big enough club to get away with it.

We've been much too nice since we got promoted. I'm happy to see Neves giving some to the ref as long as it doesn't go to the stage of getting booked for it. Yes, it won't get that decision changed, but could be in the back of the refs mind for the next one. All other sides do it, Kane doesn't fucking stop.

As Jack says the diving led by Podence and Neto can get in the bin.

Last edited:
Absolutely wank as always. We're a top half team managed by someone I wouldn't have in charge of a League One outfit. Dull, featureless, shapeless, clueless and the players evidently can't stand him. Just awful.

Man of the Match, whoever put the Mango cider on in the Hogshead.
No defence of Lage here, but until he's gone we won't know the answer to the below question, but I do wonder if we are over rating our recruitment?

Collins -in the main plays well, but conceded a soft goal at Spurs, got needlessly sucked out for the second yesterday and then there was the red. His distribution also isn't good enough for how high up the pitch he wants him to play

Guedes - reasonable half against Spurs and quite lively yesterday, but being honest he's not doing anything a Costa, Cav or any of the players we've long moved away from wouldn't be.

Nunes - bright in patches, but needs to get forward more like he did for the Southampton goal. Gave the ball away for the first yesterday and hasn't taken command of a game which for the price we've paid you'd expect him to. Very early days though

Kalajdzic- signed as an injury risk which unfortunately happened straight away

Costa/Traore can't comment

Most of the above could be on a poor manager, with poor tactics holding players back, then again it might be only part of it

Last edited:
Given that ref's NEVER change their mind having been harangued by a player, I really wish Neves would wind it in every time there's a booking coming. He's in the ref's face, close up and loud every time and I wish he'd ease off a bit.
He got booked for doing so in the 65th minute yesterday.

Couldn’t tell whether it was booked for the challenge before the Nunes one or the moaning. Either way that’s 4 yellows in 7 games. Now 1 away from the ban with the cut off after 16 games.

Couldn’t tell whether it was booked for the challenge before the Nunes one or the moaning. Either way that’s 4 yellows in 7 games. Now 1 away from the ban with the cut off after 16 games.
I thought it was the foul when both he and Nunes were looking for the tactical yellow. Could have been the mouthing off I suppose

No defence of Lage here, but until he's gone we won't know the answer to the below question, but I do wonder if we are over rating our recruitment?

…….

Most of the above could be on a poor manager, with poor tactics holding players back, then again it might be only part of it
There is a very good team somewhere at Wolves - potential without realisation. Every player has some weaknesses, as you mention, but Collins looks like he is going to develop into a very good defender…I think him and Kilman have started very well.

Guedes, Hwang and unfortunately Neto are much of a muchness at the moment and are individually and collectively ineffective as Cav and Costa wouid be…if we get it going in an attacking sense I think 2 of those 3 are better than Cav and Costa. An in form Raul and/or Costa would help.

Nunes - he needs to step up, he looks a bit passive in long stretches of the game.

MotD pundits saying we played well. I beg to differ, we looked a little bit threatening on a few occasions but most of the time it was Conservative and predictable

I’m worried as much as anyone on here I give Bruno 3 more games West Ham Chelsea “Costa makes Debut “ Forest will see him go if we lose that’s my Prediction , keep Bruno if he gets 6 points from that

I'm not convinced by that either, not when you're comparing like for like.

The front three has largely been disjointed since promotion, there hasn't been any great spell of interplay between any of them consistently in that period. To a man they've played too wide and been isolated from the centre forward.

Where the previous regime succeeded, by design or chance, was that the counter attacking approach suited the players far better than asking them to dominate and dismantle teams. I don't think that's necessarily them making better use of inside forwards in particular but the players concerned just look better playing in the big open spaces that approach creates.

There are elements of truth to this but the biggest difference for me is we were decisive on the ball. Everyone knew the plan, now we look like a group just thrown together. Even Forest who are a completely new side look a more cohesive unit than us going forward.

It’s the lack of goal scoring opportunities that we’re creating that’s a real concern.
Not as if we can see the green shoots of something developing.
The situation at CB is baffling, lose your 3 most experienced CB only bring 1 in. By the sounds of it Boly and Coady couldn’t wait to get out the club.
He then openly admits that Gomes & Mosquera are not up to standard.
Er that situation is totally on you I’m afraid.
Is it a coincidence that all our forward thinking players look so out of form?
We’re in the relegation mix and will probably be in it all season.

Even with the new signings we are definitely not in the 'too good to go down' category. Until we bring in a manager who actually knows what he's doing that is.

Reactions: b3h
Yep, if he stays we could easily go down. We hardly ever score or win. If it wasn't the club I support it'd be laughable how out of his depth in every respect he is.

Yep, if he stays we could easily go down. We hardly ever score or win. If it wasn't the club I support it'd be laughable how out of his depth in every respect he is.
If he stays past New Year we will go down IMO.

If he stays past New Year we will go down IMO.
I can't see that. What Jeff Shi knows about football you can write on a postage stamp, but I'd imagine reading a league table is within scope

Back