• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-0 Reading: The Verdict

There is good play - iorfa and Henry link up really well at times, and golbourne and graham were also before he was dropped. The problem is that Edwards is then supposed to support whichever winger/full back has worked his way up the pitch, receive the ball and find someone else. We don't have that as its not Daves skill set, which means either the winger/full back has to do something amazing (hence graham running into one too many defenders a fair bit) or just toss it into the area, which is relatively easy to defend.

Likewise if price and McDonald work some space they can't lay it into the Number ten to link to the forward, they have to go over the top for Afobe or go wide, we're simply missing one of the most important options.

And McDonald does play neat triangles - his goal against Huddersfield being an example. He and price play triangles a lot, he just doesn't have that link man further forward to play them with.

Agree completely with this.

I do find it interesting how poor we are performing compared to last season. Some of the things we did well are being made to look so incredibly difficult this season (ball retention). I do think it goes to show how one poor player in a key position can undermine things. I like Edwards as a person, I like his effort, I don't froth at the mouth with footballing rage when I see his face, but he just isn't very good, as myriad posters have pointed out countless times. Put him in a pivotal position like the #10 in the formation we play, and he becomes a massive problem. We can't even hold on to any meaningful possession as he doesn't do any of the things a skilled attacking midfielder should, and this leads to the problem we're seeing time and time again this season. Less possession = more pressure on our defence, and they are getting exposed as not-quite-as-good-as-we-thought when we had an outstanding front 3 terrifying the opposition. Another example of how just one player can have a huge negative impact was how badly we struggled when we had Clarke up front last year - he was so useless he actively contributed to us being put under more pressure, and see how we crumbled during the infamous November 2014.

People have been talking about what an experienced manager can and can't see, and if they can be criticised by people who may or may not know less. And I'm never one to assume I know better than far more experienced and knowledgeable people in football or even here on the forum, but... this is surely pretty simple stuff for any manager? I can understand KJ really appreciates the effort and running Edwards contributes, but suuuurely he understands after watching him play so many times how his presence detracts from our overall game. A #10 working hard and pressing doesn't benefit the team as much as a #10 who can actually help control the game, be in the right place whether it is a quick counter or a slow patient build-up, pick a pass, have a shot, maybe even <gasp> go past a player in the attacking half.

I don't hate Edwards. I just think that a poor player in his position really impacts on our ability to control a match and keep possession, and as a result, our defensive frailties are horribly exposed.

Edit: Wow, that got long and waffley. I guess I've been keeping it all in!

Agree completely with this.

I do find it interesting how poor we are performing compared to last season. Some of the things we did well are being made to look so incredibly difficult this season (ball retention). I do think it goes to show how one poor player in a key position can undermine things. I like Edwards as a person, I like his effort, I don't froth at the mouth with footballing rage when I see his face, but he just isn't very good, as myriad posters have pointed out countless times. Put him in a pivotal position like the #10 in the formation we play, and he becomes a massive problem. We can't even hold on to any meaningful possession as he doesn't do any of the things a skilled attacking midfielder should, and this leads to the problem we're seeing time and time again this season. Less possession = more pressure on our defence, and they are getting exposed as not-quite-as-good-as-we-thought when we had an outstanding front 3 terrifying the opposition. Another example of one player having a huge negative impact was how badly we struggled when we had Clarke up front last year - he was so useless he actively contributed to us being put under more pressure, and see how we crumbled during the infamous November 2014.

People have been talking about what an experienced manager can and can't see, and if they can be criticised by people who may or may not know less. And I'm never one to assume I know better than far more experienced and knowledgeable people in football or even here on the forum, but... this is surely pretty simple stuff for any manager? I can understand KJ really appreciates the effort and running Edwards contributes, but suuuurely he understands after watching him play so many times how his presence detracts from our overall game. A #10 working hard and pressing doesn't benefit the team as much as a #10 who can actually help control the game, be in the right place whether it is a quick counter or a slow patient build-up, pick a pass, have a shot, maybe even <gasp> go past a player in the attacking half.

I don't hate Edwards. I just think that a poor player in his position really impacts on our ability to control a match and keep possession, and as a result, our defensive frailties are horribly exposed.

Edit: Wow, that got long and waffley. I guess I've been keeping it all in!

Spot on all that.

Don't know if anyone's noticed, but Edwards isn't allowed to touch the ball in the build up. They literally skip him out. He just floats around. Then when we get it out wide he makes the run into the box. I assume this is tactical, as yes he's shit but you can't hide from the ball and get away with it.

Dave Edwards plays as a second striker who runs around a bit so can be counted as a midfielder as well, Kenny like this.

These are the tactics of our dinosaur manager.

Dave Edwards is a genuine, hard working , hard running loyal Wolves footballer and all round nice guy. That does not and should not guarantee his place. He is not and never will be a Championship number 10 or a championship winger.Anyone who thinks otherwise must also rate Doherty as a championship full back and EEL as a championship centre half. They too are not and in all likelihood will never be. The only person I know who believes all the above paragraph is one Kenneth Jackett current myopic incumbent of the managerial hot seat.

People have been talking about what an experienced manager can and can't see, and if they can be criticised by people who may or may not know less. And I'm never one to assume I know better than far more experienced and knowledgeable people in football or even here on the forum, but... this is surely pretty simple stuff for any manager?

I've haven't read anybody yet who has a magic formula except for hindsight so I don't go for the 'Super Knowledgeable' supporter who is qualified to judge anybody else's opinion. These forums get taken far too seriously. Dave runs, harries and can occasionally link play. His main strength is getting into a box on the end of crosses. That isn't happening because we move the ball tool slowly and none of our attacking play is consistently cohesive or fluid. He is doing everything and understandably completely spent as the game progresses. I cannot understand for the life of me why KJ wont play Afobe and ALF together - nobodies seems to know that one.

I've haven't read anybody yet who has a magic formula except for hindsight so I don't go for the 'Super Knowledgeable' supporter who is qualified to judge anybody else's opinion. These forums get taken far too seriously. Dave runs, harries and can occasionally link play. His main strength is getting into a box on the end of crosses. That isn't happening because we move the ball tool slowly and none of our attacking play is consistently cohesive or fluid. He is doing everything and understandably completely spent as the game progresses. I cannot understand for the life of me why KJ wont play Afobe and ALF together - nobodies seems to know that one.

Yay, a common sense post, I too would like to see ALF and Afobe given a run or maybe even Wallace

That second half was as bad as the Ipswich defeat on Boxing Day under Solbakken. We literally parked the bus on the edge of the 18 yard box and didn't get into their final third as an attacking unit all half. It was so anti-football KJ makes Pulis look like Kevin Keegan.

Edwards isn't a footballer, he's suits the Jackie Gallagher super-sub-last-10-minutes-need-a-goal role very well but anything else forget it.

Dangerous Dave isn't the issue, but he isn't part of the solution. He is a solid, hard working energetic player worthy of a squad place and coming on to chase a game or to provide some energy when trying to nick a 1-0.

The greater issues are at the back and lack of genuine footballing ability our two centre halfs have. When the passing range of Batth and Eel (or Hause for that matter) is either an aimless hoof or a rushed aimless hoof forward than all attacking impetus is going to be lost. We invite pressure on ourselves by not retaining the ball and not mixing up how we try to attack (I.e. Switching between passing through midfield or occasionally playing a long ball).

Doesn't matter who you have in the number 10 role, in fact it's probably more useful to have someone who only runs around a lot as the ball will never be anywhere near the feet of a quality player atm.

I'm still stunned at how poor we were. Defend by all means, but what about then hitting the other team on the counter? But we were a million miles from being ale to do that. Seriously, that level of performance repeated over the season will see us very close to being relegated. What in God's name are Kenny's instructions?

1. Try and nick a goal, lads
2. Defend - as deep as you can
3. If you get the ball, hoof it somewhere near Benny
4. Dave - run around a lot

There's plenty of teams who have CBs who can't pass water. The difference is, they move the ball onto someone who can. Yet we haven't exactly got the best ball playing full backs particularly if Golbourne isn't playing and the midfield don't come and ask for the ball. Even if they do, they struggle to move it on due to the other midfielders in the team.

There's plenty of teams who have CBs who can't pass water. The difference is, they move the ball onto someone who can. Yet we haven't exactly got the best ball playing full backs particularly if Golbourne isn't playing and the midfield don't come and ask for the ball. Even if they do, they struggle to move it on due to the other midfielders in the team.

Indeed. When we were playing from the back and into midfield, Batth had very few issues distribution wise. Even playing next to Stearman helped with that to be fair as he could just give it to him too. Now he does that horrible pass into the channel where he swings his leg right round. His pass success ration was 36%, the worst of our outfielders by some distance.

Indeed. When we were playing from the back and into midfield, Batth had very few issues distribution wise. Even playing next to Stearman helped with that to be fair as he could just give it to him too. Now he does that horrible pass into the channel where he swings his leg right round. His pass success ration was 36%, the worst of our outfielders by some distance.

Christ, 36% is dreadful. You look at the game and you think "he could have done better." Then you look at the stats and realise he gave the ball to the other team two out of every three times he had it.

That was the key problem, the keepers distribution is awful, the selected back four can't pass the ball. Price was missing and his replacement Coady lacks quality on the ball. So you can understand Edwards to a point if only to suffocate the midfield play of the opposition. It was a terribly balanced team selection.

Martinez

Iorfa Batth Williamson Goldbourne

Price

Zyro Macdonald Graham

Afobe Le Fondre

Subs- Coady New left back new GK , Edwards, new centre back (Hause?) new striker/ poacher , Bryne ,Wallace

That should be a team capable of a finish a bloody sight higher than 16th. Add a bit more depth to the squad ie better cover at Centre Back( Hause?) , Left back , In goal , spare striker ( ffs not Holt) and even have Dangerous Dave as a sub to nick something if we need it . I know I have banged on about investment but the strengthening I am asking for here is not millions. It is also about pass and move and counter ie Leicester. We do have players with some pace so lets use it.

That was the key problem, the keepers distribution is awful, the selected back four can't pass the ball. Price was missing and his replacement Coady lacks quality on the ball. So you can understand Edwards to a point if only to suffocate the midfield play of the opposition. It was a terribly balanced team selection.

That's kind of what I was driving at, neither CBs have the ability to knock it between them and play into midfield. Which invites more pressure onto us, Batth didn't have distribution issues with Stears alongside him due to the option to pass to Stears, Price/kmac or back to Ikeme. Now the option is back to Ikeme because our midfield is tightly pressed, our other CB has the ability of a tin of tuna meaning we only hoof clear or back to Ikeme to hoof clear!

Anyway - onto charlton, and I'll take another lucky 1-0 win!

Back