• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-0 Yeovil Verdict thread

Agree re: Marshall, though I'd have him on the other side.

If you have a wing back that is basically a winger (see Graham) you get away with it against opposition from lower leagues, but it could cause issues against the better teams. The way we are structured at the moment has them hugging the touchline and us being very much more 343 than 523, in both attack (which is good) and defence. It means the back three are spread across the pitch too wide, leaving big gaps between them and resulting in the 'easy' chances presented to both M'Boro and Yeovil.

Ben Marshall is absolutely perfect for that left wing back role. Hope he hurries up back and gets fit quickly.

Presumably you mean the right wing back role? Would say Douglas has got the left side nailed down.

Last night would have helped Nuno see what he's up against, because it was a good demonstration of how a team will come to Molineux and set up with 10 players behind the ball. We need to find a way to break these sides down and need to be intelligent enough to find a way of playing through them. Certainly with Dave Edwards in the middle this isn't going to happen, but I hold out hope and expectation that Neves/Saiss will be good enough.

We're only one game in, but if we find ourselves towards the top of the table come Christmas (for example), we can expect more and more terms to turn up to Molineux with a defensive mentality and looking to frustrate us. It's the old "keep things tight and the fans will get on their back" thing that has followed us around for years.

I can't see many teams coming to us with a midfield more superior than Neves and Saiss. At least in this division, anyway.

Phil should be an option for RWB from September, they are expecting him to be back after the International break

I've seen many, many awful League Cup displays against lower league teams. This wasn't one of them.

I've seen many, many awful League Cup displays against lower league teams. This wasn't one of them.

Good to hear! And yes, there have been some atrocious League Cup performances over the years - although possibly the lowest point was the Chorley defeat in the FA Cup. But what can you expect wearing white shorts?

I've just watched the 10 minute highlights on Wolves TV, and realised when I heard the name Edwards after nearly seven minutes, that he was actually playing. There were quite a few balls flashing across the Yeovil 6-yard box last night, just begging for someone to apply the finishing touch. Fox-in-the-box, please!

Not injured just not selected. So either deemed not ready for action or surplus to requirements like Mason

I think Zyro is a much better player than Mason and would have thought he would be a good addition to the squad when fully fit.

I think Zyro is a much better player than Mason and would have thought he would be a good addition to the squad when fully fit.

My guess would be it is just about fitness and wouldn't be surprised if we send him out on loan until January to help him get back to his best.

My guess would be it is just about fitness and wouldn't be surprised if we send him out on loan until January to help him get back to his best.

That would make sense, as playing regularly will hasten his return to full fitness, and then hopefully challenging for a place at Molineux

I really don't think Zyro will ever be a key player for us. By the time he gets up to speed we'll probably have bought someone better. Not to mention he probably will never be the same player again.

I do struggle to see how everyone rates Zyro so highly. He literally played in a handful of games and scored a few tap ins against and awful Fulham team.

He was playing in an awful KJ team playing woeful football. He may have been amazing had he not got injured, but no one can tell me they saw enough of him to say how good or bad he was.

Post injury he's way off whatever that pre injury level was, which we don't really know. Now since then we are in a totally different league signing top calibre players rather than relatively cheap gambles that may improve mid table team.

I really like the bloke and at the time i was hopeful for him as he wasn't Nathan Byrne, George Saville, Joe Mason or Jeremy Helan.

Even if he gets back to pre injury levels, I'm not sure that would get him to be more than 4th or 5th choice.

I hope he gets back to his best and becomes s big player. But I can't see it myself.

Jeremy Helan, bloody hell, had forgotten about him. Never mind an all time Crap XI - you can make a pretty piss-poor team from some of the 'stars' that have played over the last 3 years...

I regularly reference Helan's inability to understand the offside law, because no-one should ever forget what an incomprehensible footballer he was (and the fact that we had to basically sign someone to hold Doherty's hand because we'd sold our only left back and didn't bother to replace him. Good work lads)

Back