• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-2 West Ham: Verdict Thread

Well OK, straight away I can think of 3 things he did very well.

* good, brave headed block on JWP free kick
* great header to Doyle that he should done better with
* superb challenge on Kudus(?) As he was about to shoot

Aside from that he kept the ball well unspectacularly

Watching a stream or not, those things happened factually.

Such a frustrating way for our season to end, played great first half but one goal is rarely enough. Performances tailed off again second half, we all know why.

Well OK, straight away I can think of 3 things he did very well.

* good, brave headed block on JWP free kick
* great header to Doyle that he should done better with
* superb challenge on Kudus(?) As he was about to shoot

Aside from that he kept the ball well unspectacularly

Watching a stream or not, those things happened factually.

Yes let's keep picking him, he is definitely an acceptable option.

Yes let's keep picking him, he is definitely an acceptable option.
Did those 3 things not happen then?

Was he woeful?

Should we not actually be talking about Semedo today who was probably our worst outfield player?

It's always about Doherty, it's absolutely ridiculous.

But Semedo (not great today) is a decent PL player in general.

Matt Doherty is a League Two player.

You must get this, surely.

Holding it up as an “I told you so” is weak. Not single poster who didn’t want Antonio prefers the situation we find ourselves in, I think it’s safe to say.
It’s only an “I told you so” if that’s how you choose to read it. It’s more a dose of realism.

People reacted in the same way to the signing of Lemina & Dawson and they’ve both been excellent for us. It’s where we are now as a club, so expectations should fall in line with that.

I think it’s completely fair to observe that had Antonio featured for us today rather than them, the outcome would likely have been very different.

Back to the match - has Gaz had his post match interview yet? Intrigued to hear what he says.

Putting aside the decision itself, I don’t understand the VAR process.

The subjective element that was decided was interference. How could this be determined from the only side-on still image that the referee was shown? All that did was show the attacker in a technically offside position, which was not in dispute.

Doherty is a squad player who is playing because we have an injury crisis.

On your ridiculous basis:

If Doherty IS a league 2 player than he was fucking excellent today!

And if Semedo is a decent PL player (he is) then his awful performance today should be the focus?

No?

It’s only an “I told you so” if that’s how you choose to read it. It’s more a dose of realism.

People reacted in the same way to the signing of Lemina & Dawson and they’ve both been excellent for us. It’s where we are now as a club, so expectations should fall in line with that.

I think it’s completely fair to observe that had Antonio featured for us today rather than them, the outcome would likely have been very different.

Back to the match - has Gaz had his post match interview yet? Intrigued to hear what he says.

Not sure what you're railing against though really as we bid for Antonio and West Ham said no, we don't want to sell him.

I can get on board with arguing against how we have mangled squad management but not that one.

Putting aside the decision itself, I don’t understand the VAR process.

The subjective element that was decided was interference. How could this be determined from the only side-on still image that the referee was shown? All that did was show the attacker in a technically offside position, which was not in dispute.
Oatley made that very point. The still for VAR should have been from the North Bank

Doherty is a squad player who is playing because we have an injury crisis.

On your ridiculous basis:

If Doherty IS a league 2 player than he was fucking excellent today!

And if Semedo is a decent PL player (he is) then his awful performance today should be the focus?

No?

We could play Hugo Bueno instead of Matt Doherty.

I was there mate and no, Matt Doherty was not excellent.

The discussion is about how he performed in today's match, in which he had a decent game. Certainly not worthy of any real criticism compared to other at the back like Semedo and Toti.

No-one wants Matt Doherty starting at LWB or anywhere else unless we absolutely have to, that's not in dispute.

Doc wasn’t good. But I guess he wasn’t awful so we seem to think that is good? He did bizarrely put Toti under pressure which was nearly a pen in itself but then led to the pen. If he was a CB or CM playing at LWB then you could accept this “stop gap” performance. But it’s alledgedly his position (and there’s a LWB on the bench).

In other news, we conceded directly from a corner in a PL game 🤣.

I thought Cunha was miles off it and there best player for most of it.

RAN was incredible and the end of him was the end of us.

West Ham were at Watford levels first half, but I actually think we surpassed them second. Aided by them actually having decent players whereas we did not.

Really don't want to make this about one player, but Doherty did one or 2 decent things but was largely innocuous. He wasn't L2 level shit and he wasn't good either. His block on Kudus was good, I'll give him that. The whole team was desperately poor in the 2nd half.

GON has talked before about players making poor decisions and then it spreading and that is what happened. Again. A series of mind-bogglingly stupid bad decisions that compounded each other and built the pressure against us. And for me that is down to one thing: a lack of on-field leadership. We have nobody who has the brains to calm the team down. Once West Ham got their tails up it was only going one way. It was desperate.

First half ok, probably 50/60 mins but once our current striker, normally a left back went off the writing was on the wall.
Haven’t seen the disallowed equaliser since the match but as he went to the screen I would imagine someone in an offside position was blocking the goalie off.
Our resident VAR naysayer will be pleased as there’s no doubt celebrating a last minute equaliser is becoming a thing of the past.

Doc wasn’t good. But I guess he wasn’t awful so we seem to think that is good?
Given the endless pissing and moaning over him, and all this he's a "league 2 player" then yes, if he does good things in a game and nothing bad ( plus a number of blocked crosses which Semedo and Bueno so regularly fail with) then yes. This is definitely good.

People can't have it both ways.

We were pretty good first half, rubbish 2nd. Doherty was getting rinsed all afternoon and should have come off way earlier, on the goal they had disallowed their player got past him with no resistance whatsoever and got the cross in then for the penalty I'm not sure what he's trying to do but that little "pass" was a shocker

Given the endless pissing and moaning over him, and all this he's a "league 2 player" then yes, if he does good things in a game and nothing bad ( plus a number of blocked crosses which Semedo and Bueno so regularly fail with) then yes. This is definitely good.

People can't have it both ways.
I’m not people.

He wasn’t good today. He certainly doesn’t need singling out as being so. He wasn’t awful but he is what he is. Pretending otherwise is weird

On the VAR decision

“My view, David Moyes’ view, Fabianski’s view is that it was a scandalous decision. Terrible. Horrendous. I don’t understand it. I can’t think of an explanation, it was one of the worst decisions I’ve ever witnessed. I wasn’t calm enough to receive [an explanation], but he hasn’t really got one.

“I don’t know where they are with it and any explanation doesn’t help us. It was a terrible decision and I’ll tell you why it’s a terrible decision because they only way he can impact the keeper is if he’s impacting how he can move, which he isn’t, and if he impacts his vision, which he isn’t.

“If you look at the side view, Fabianski can clearly see the ball over Tawanda’s head. It’s a terrible decision. He’s a fully qualified professional referee stood in front of a screen and he should be able to make his own decision. The whole world thinks it’s a terrible decision, yet a highly qualified referee is stood in front of a screen, with slow-motion replays, and manages to get it wrong.”

On a dominant first half performance

“It was a fantastic first-half, and it was fantastic for the boys to produce that performance with what we have available versus what West Ham have available. It took a top performance to be that dominant. It was exceptional.

“The second half, they went more man for man and we struggled with being able to get out and a lack of threat in behind, and then two crazy goals to concede.

“The penalty that we gave away from passing it to each other is on us, and then the ball goes in direct from a corner. How we’ve lost that football match today is unbelievable, so I’m really disappointed.”

On decisive moments after the break

“There are some bits of it that we will be disappointed with as a team, but understanding where we are at the moment is really important. West Ham are at full strength pretty much and we’re down, having played no striker, and completely dominated the first half.

“The football was fantastic, although we didn’t have as much as a goal threat that we’d have liked, but I’m sure everyone understands why and then in the second half, West Ham had a go and we didn’t have anything.

“But they didn’t create anything really. We gave them a crazy penalty and then the corner curls into the far post – I’ve not seen a goal like it since I was in kids’ football. So it was three crazy events, firstly from us to let them back into the game, secondly the second goal which we could do better with, and then the VAR decision at the end. Three crazy incidents which have handed West Ham the three points that they didn’t deserve.”

On another decision going against his side

“When we’re as short as we are and we’re having to fight and dig as much as we are, to suffer that decision at that stage of the game was tough for the players to take. They’re unbelievably frustrated with the officiating.

“We had discussions earlier in the season about them wanting to show that they don’t feel like they’re respected by the officials and that has resurfaced today. It’s hard for me to convince them otherwise when you look at the decisions which have gone against us.

“But what we’ve got to do now is refocus, we’ll go again at Nottingham Forest, and it’s a big blow for us to catch the teams above us, but the team are giving everything and that’s where we are at the moment. We did all we could today and because of three crazy incidents it wasn’t enough.”

On taking Ait-Nouri off

“He's got a sore calf. He’s got some pain in his calf and it was a big bow. But we wanted to take him off before it got any worse and hopefully he’ll be ok for next week.”

Back