• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-2 West Ham: Verdict Thread

For all the grief Doherty is getting, Kilman for me was far more aggregious an offender. When you need leadership to calm the nerves and stem the tide, he did nothing except make as many bad decisions as everybody else. For all the normal defensive things he does reasonably okay, it's the things he doesn't do that make him a liability.
You also need him to send a rocket up players when standards need to be improved. Couldn't imagine Roy Keane being as placid as Kilman at any time today... the bloke is too nice. The way he speaks to ref's is far too respectful as well.

Picking Doherty is why we will lose Beuno in the summer. I'd be sick of sitting on the bench watching Doherty in front of me.
Nah. We'll lose Bueno if he doesn't improve. He came into the side and showed a lot of promise. Since then he's stagnated. Some of that is probably because of the knock he picked up but he also looks short on confidence to me. Putting Doc ahead of him could be for all kind of reasons.

On the VAR decision

“My view, David Moyes’ view, Fabianski’s view is that it was a scandalous decision. Terrible. Horrendous. I don’t understand it. I can’t think of an explanation, it was one of the worst decisions I’ve ever witnessed. I wasn’t calm enough to receive [an explanation], but he hasn’t really got one.

“I don’t know where they are with it and any explanation doesn’t help us. It was a terrible decision and I’ll tell you why it’s a terrible decision because they only way he can impact the keeper is if he’s impacting how he can move, which he isn’t, and if he impacts his vision, which he isn’t.

“If you look at the side view, Fabianski can clearly see the ball over Tawanda’s head. It’s a terrible decision. He’s a fully qualified professional referee stood in front of a screen and he should be able to make his own decision. The whole world thinks it’s a terrible decision, yet a highly qualified referee is stood in front of a screen, with slow-motion replays, and manages to get it wrong.”

On a dominant first half performance

“It was a fantastic first-half, and it was fantastic for the boys to produce that performance with what we have available versus what West Ham have available. It took a top performance to be that dominant. It was exceptional.

“The second half, they went more man for man and we struggled with being able to get out and a lack of threat in behind, and then two crazy goals to concede.

“The penalty that we gave away from passing it to each other is on us, and then the ball goes in direct from a corner. How we’ve lost that football match today is unbelievable, so I’m really disappointed.”

On decisive moments after the break

“There are some bits of it that we will be disappointed with as a team, but understanding where we are at the moment is really important. West Ham are at full strength pretty much and we’re down, having played no striker, and completely dominated the first half.

“The football was fantastic, although we didn’t have as much as a goal threat that we’d have liked, but I’m sure everyone understands why and then in the second half, West Ham had a go and we didn’t have anything.

“But they didn’t create anything really. We gave them a crazy penalty and then the corner curls into the far post – I’ve not seen a goal like it since I was in kids’ football. So it was three crazy events, firstly from us to let them back into the game, secondly the second goal which we could do better with, and then the VAR decision at the end. Three crazy incidents which have handed West Ham the three points that they didn’t deserve.”

On another decision going against his side

“When we’re as short as we are and we’re having to fight and dig as much as we are, to suffer that decision at that stage of the game was tough for the players to take. They’re unbelievably frustrated with the officiating.

“We had discussions earlier in the season about them wanting to show that they don’t feel like they’re respected by the officials and that has resurfaced today. It’s hard for me to convince them otherwise when you look at the decisions which have gone against us.

“But what we’ve got to do now is refocus, we’ll go again at Nottingham Forest, and it’s a big blow for us to catch the teams above us, but the team are giving everything and that’s where we are at the moment. We did all we could today and because of three crazy incidents it wasn’t enough.”

On taking Ait-Nouri off

“He's got a sore calf. He’s got some pain in his calf and it was a big bow. But we wanted to take him off before it got any worse and hopefully he’ll be ok for next week.”
Well this has me a bit concerned. Seems GON is focused on what happened at the end and not what happened from 38 mins onwards.

On Sa, it was windy, and it was right in the top corner, but a keeper at any level shouldn't be conceding direct from a corner.
Concentration issue as much as anything else for me.

When the ball gets played he's too busy fucking around with Antonio and by the time he notices the ball is headed his way he hasn't got enough time to sort himself out so end up with a weak jump that gets nowhere near it.

Not a great deal to add really. First half we were comfortable without being spectacular but were completely in control. Second half was a totally different story. Yes, we were robbed of a point but our 2nd half performance was pretty awful, summed up by letting them score direct from a corner.

On a positive note, I got to take my son to his first Wolves match today :)

Not a great deal to add really. First half we were comfortable without being spectacular but were completely in control. Second half was a totally different story. Yes, we were robbed of a point but our 2nd half performance was pretty awful, summed up by letting them score direct from a corner.

Unfortunately it's a balanced introduction

I think that counts as abuse 😉

• Haha
Reactions: b3h
First half was brilliant from us, moved the ball well and got forward a fair few times. However there was only one man that excelled that half and single handidly took us forward in RAN. Even if he hadn't got injured he would have burned out a few minutes later anyway. West Ham had more to come off the bench then we did and there subs worked and got them motoring. This change in half's is once again down to Fosun leaving GON high and dry with no funds because of there own wasteful shit over the years.

Concentration issue as much as anything else for me.

When the ball gets played he's too busy fucking around with Antonio and by the time he notices the ball is headed his way he hasn't got enough time to sort himself out so end up with a weak jump that gets nowhere near it.
And this is it, same with Kilman, they're fundamentally good players, but mentally flawed. If they were both more solid with their concentration they'd be playing for a better side than us I guess.

I'll mention the elephant in the room as well. Losing Gomes for the next two is going to be fucking hell. His work rate in midfield for me is better then anybody's.

I'll mention the elephant in the room as well. Losing Gomes for the next two is going to be fucking hell. His work rate in midfield for me is better then anybody's.
FotMob has him on 8?

. West Ham had more to come off the bench then we did and there subs worked and got them motoring. This change in half's is once again down to Fosun leaving GON high and dry with no funds because of there own wasteful shit over the years.
Yep, Cunha should have been a positive sub, but because he was replacing RAN and he's coming back from injury it actually weakened us.

And then every sub after that definitely did.

That's the thing, even if GON identifies an issue, he can't do a fat lot about it from a personel point of view as the subs aren't anywhere near good as the players already on the pitch.

Fosun 💩

Last edited:
Back