• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-1 Arsenal: Verdict Thread

Just don't understand what Arsenal are whingeing about, ref/var got all the big decisions right. The off side wasn't marginal imo, one of the clearer offsides var has got right. Definite pen, not much contact but enough to knock him off balance as he was about to pull the trigger and the ref has no alternative but to send him off by the laws of the game......unlucky? Probably but I don't give a fuck, we've had enough go against us. Second red, no-ones disputing that surely?
Arsenal have to look at themselves, in front, totally dominating the game for 40 minutes, then switch off and implode.
Of course we were really lucky for most of the first half but we have to take positives where we can, don't think anyone is getting carried away.
Still huge amounts of work to do. For me we have to persevere with 4-2-3-1 and somehow try and cut out the individual mistakes at the back and manage with the personnel we have for now.
Most important to me is how we play Sunday now. Win, lose or draw we have to put in some kind of half decent performance to try and carry on building confidence. Its a tricky one though if Vardy plays, him getting in behind our back 4 is a bit scarey
They've been doing it since at least the 80's. SM has given them a platform to do it more. Pretty funny to be honest. Lucky Arsenal used to be their tag. Or 1-0 to the Arsenal.
Fuck em. We've had enough bad luck against them for decades. We were due some good luck..

I don’t know how we got to half time level. It was an awful first 45. But, as often discussed, you make your own luck and having a physical presence at 9 in WJ clearly made a difference. His lay off play looked great and the more he plays the better he will understand his team mates and make the runs to suit. Vitinha looked great second half and Moutinho had his best half in ages. He truly sucked first half hour btw. Kilman is not a LB . Let’s not do that again. For all the shitty performances in this poor run we sit here now having taken 10 points from 4 games against two of the big six! Incredible!

if we are playing a four it’s got to have LB with some pace so I would play Semedo there and Hoever on the right. Coady and Boly in the middle or maybe Donk instead of Coady if Moutinho stays in form . A nice welcome and very fortunate three points thanks to Arsenal being very spursy and blowing it spectacularly! Pawsons reffing though! Omg

It looked like he could be the answer to that position pre-injury, but he's just not been the same player since he came back. Hopefully a bit more confidence will make all the difference.
I thought last night that he was moving like he had a poker stuck up his ass, very stiff and awkward looking when he ran.

If it were Silva running onto that ball last night he wouldn't have gone over and the penalty wouldn't have been given (he'd have tried to shoot and score). WJ played a bit of the dark arts there when he saw the ball getting away from him.

Yeah, not sure what the Arsenal fans are moaning about. We have been on the end of some very tight and harsh VAR calls - so makes a change for a couple to go in our favour. But Lacazette was definitely off for their disallowed goal (you could see that without the silly lines drawn on the screen) and the penalty decision and sending off was both correct and following the "letter of the law".

I also remember numerous occasions in the first half where they were getting up in Pawson's face. Saka went through and Boly kicks the ball out for a corner - and they were all appealing for a penalty. You can't cry about decisions when you're appealing for everything. And I quite like Arteta, but he got what he deserved for waving the imaginary cards around on the sidelines. A manager shouldn't do that kind of shit.

On us, I'm not going to get too carried away with Vitinha's cameo. He was decent - but he's come on in perfect circumstances. They're chasing the game, have less men than us, there's loads of space to pass and move in to. He did well, but I also remember he had very little impact in his last league start. Definitely a player in there and he might eventually be better than Podence in that number 10 role, but for now, I'd stick with Podence (who I think is getting a bit of unnecessary stick) - I thought he was fine. Perhaps could work a bit harder defensively, but some of his close control and movement was excellent.

Podence is still working his way back to fitness too, he's only managed 60 odd minutes in his appearances so far. I expect him to improve in the coming weeks.

I also remember numerous occasions in the first half where they were getting up in Pawson's face. Saka went through and Boly kicks the ball out for a corner - and they were all appealing for a penalty. You can't cry about decisions when you're appealing for everything. And I quite like Arteta, but he got what he deserved for waving the imaginary cards around on the sidelines. A manager shouldn't do that kind of shit.

On us, I'm not going to get too carried away with Vitinha's cameo. He was decent - but he's come on in perfect circumstances.

Not a fan of fake Pep. He's a fairweather manager and an awful loser, and him and his team try and ref the match more than Kane. Very satisfying to do the double over them.

I really liked the look of Vitinha, he looks to have an excellent imagination when it comes to where to play the ball, which is something we've been sorely in need of with our pedestrian forward play this season.

As with Moutinho though, it's different when you're playing 11 v 11. Hopefully they can both prove to be assets for the rest of this campaign.

On the subject of Moutinho, his goal is probably my season highlight (not difficult, admittedly). I've thought he was on the wane and actually a negative playing influence in recent weeks. Still not sure he's got much more in the tank, but it was wonderful seeing him score such a high quality goal and then go ape-shit.

And how can he still have such perfectly dark hair and beard?? Natural or packet job?

Was working last night so only just watched the game back.

Opening 15-20 we were lucky to stay in the game and Saka (who I thought was brilliant) had Kilman on toast. A few times Kilman got suckered in and it was too easy for them. Worryingly I think it was just desire to win that which went in Pepe's favour and maybe also Somedo thinking about Villa and fearing giving away another penalty.

Even in the first there were some promising glimpses offensively, Podence and Somedo combined well before Luiz blocked the pull back and the play which won us the penalty was decent too.

Obviously we can't take much from the second half with them being two men down but just the players being able to pass the ball confidently among themselves with Arsenal not getting very close to us might help them too.

The challenge is Sunday as I dont think we can play that high line against Leicester, Vardy will fillet us. So we will have to reconcile defending against that with being able to maintain a threat ourselves.

That assumes what Luiz did was accidental - how do we know he didn't intend to do it?
Because he's not that clever? I was on his side with a sending off being harsh until he got the backing from John Terry with his 'you've never played the game, learn the rules' then it was sod him !

Clattenburg is wrong, not that we care now.
Sideshow Bob has history for that foul anyway so Arsenal can do one.

Clattenburg is wrong, not that we care now.
Sideshow Bob has history for that foul anyway so Arsenal can do one.
How would we ever be able to distinguish between those that meant it and those that didn't? I don't think we can

How would we ever be able to distinguish between those that meant it and those that didn't? I don't think we can
Well that's the same as now distinguishing between an honest attempt to play the ball and not.

I'm not convinced it was a total accident. But regardless of that, Jose is running in a straight line, Luiz makes the decision to run across the back of him, surely in that instance the responsibility is on Luiz to ensure there is no contact at all. It's not enough to say he didn't mean to make contact, he had to ensure there was no contact.

Well that's the same as now distinguishing between an honest attempt to play the ball and not.
It doesn't really matter though, the defender has either made an attempt to play the ball or not. Bringing interpretation around intent into the rules is asking for trouble.

Jose - Doubt any dark arts from him, think he was about to smack one in

Vitinha - I don't think last night suddenly makes him way more viable as CAM than before. Granted we've not seen much of him and often brought on when the game is gone but I'm not that impressed so far either way. Ticking over kind of player, and yeah he was running into space last night but against 9 men. We've seen him play sideways/backwards and drop deep for the ball a lot in most of his cameos. Not convinced yet. I think he will be more of a Moutinho type/role. Insert summer window comment here

Back