• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-1 Chelsea: Verdict Thread

First time ball to Semedo from Gomes would have solved the whole problem, he froze though.

It would but this whole mess could've been avoided if Sa had made the simple pass to Semedo in the first place.
I’m totally with this.

Jose Sa continually makes fuck ups that get us into trouble and did it again today - not just here but with a cross that completely went through his hands.

Fair to say that, also though, his shot stopping can be excellent at times - today, an example.

I’ll leave it to the statisticians but he’s definitely got to be down for one major fuck up per game - never less, usually more.

I’d be looking for a much more steady keeper in January, especially if we can get the kind of money rumoured.

And you can throw Bentley into the deal too, if they want two dodgy keepers for their money.

Although we were generally poor, that for me stemmed from our inability to hold the ball up at the front. Hwang just could not do anything positive to contribute to our play. He grafts hard and his finishing is clinical but its a hard watch.

Sarabia obviously has good technique but is just too lightweight and I thought he was fairly poor. Cunha was fairly anonymous but then he has a thankless task with little support due to Hwang's failings.

I must have missed Sa's slip when he failed on a cross, but I thought he was assured and made a fantastic save against a greedy Sterling, who was clearly affected by the crowd giving him stick. He was just so desperate to score and do a hush sign to the South Bank.

Kilman was at fault for the Chelsea goal, but otherwise I thought he was very good. Bueno was solid when he came on. Toti and Semedo good as well I thought. The defence were torn apart first half but got stronger as game went on. Credit to to an unwell Dawson who still put in a good shift, as Mad Mick would say.

Gomes poor first half and nearly gifted them a goal, but worked tirelessly second half. Lemina was everywhere and when he is on his game he drags us to a result. Humungous effort!

Doc must get a mention for an easy yet very cool finish, he certainly has the natural ability to get into such positions, we know that from his forays into the box when he was right wing-back.

It would be lovely to have a commanding win but you can't argue that that was a fantastic result against a developing team who obviously have talent, and it gave all Wolves fans a very happy Xmas. Not sure it was at all 'comfortable' as Gazza said, but a win's a win.

"We can't say it, we know what you are" even brought a few smiles from Chelsea fans though I'm sure it's brought devastation to millions across West London and Sky Sports.

Merry Xmas!

Last edited:
I really enjoyed that as a spectacle even if the quality wasn't always there.

First half was pretty even to me, Chelsea had the better opportunities but we were in the game. We gave up a couple big chances which Chelsea should have punished us, in real time I was focused on Sterling but seeing it back he has two options for who he could square it to for a tap in. Shocker.

Second half I thought we were the best side for about 25 minutes, we were playing really well. Pressed high up the pitch and won the ball a lot, Lemina was fantastic and once Gomes got going after a shaky start was terrific.

Gallagher isn't good. He had a lot of time on the ball and we sat off him, that seemed tactical to me rather than a good performance. His distribution is wasteful, all he was capable of doing was pass it out wide and we were happy to allow him to do that. Chelsea didn't seem to have many ideas except send it wide, look for the overlap, cross it in. Kilman lost his man a few times, the goal is really poor, but in general I thought he was OK this game after fearing the worst. He could do the basics of heading the ball away, Chelsea just kept doing the same thing over and over. We coped with the pressure well for the most part, the most frustrating part was how we don't have a proper out ball. Need a striker or someone who can hold it up/win it in the air in these situations as Hwang is just a body, loses everything and would have helped massively. Agree with Johnny that Hwang and Cunha weren't in the right positions.

Chelsea have some really bad players in their team these days. Gallagher, Broja, Mudryk... Jackson! The away fans were cheering when he went off, he's really shit. They were wasteful with the chances they did have, thought Sa made a couple good saves also. A better team puts these opportunities away, but they did not and we scored two of ours. Doherty's is a great finish.

In this instance I thought the asymmetric style of our defence worked, normally it makes us look lost. Semedo and Toti both did well. Ait-Nouri was brilliant too, he was up and down that left hand side all game. Put a lot of effort in, thought he looked top quality yesterday.

Merry Christmas everyone, enjoy the three points!

Although we were generally poor, that for me stemmed from our inability to hold the ball up at the front. Hwang just could not do anything positive to contribute to our play. He grafts hard and his finishing is clinical but its a hard watch.

Sarabia obviously has good technique but is just too lightweight and I thought he was fairly poor. Cunha was fairly anonymous but then he has a thankless task with little support due to Hwang's failings.

I must have missed Sa's slip when he failed on a cross, but I thought he was assured and made a fantastic save against a greedy Sterling, who was clearly affected by the crowd giving him stick. He was just so desperate to score and do a hush sign to the South Bank.

Kilman was at fault for the Chelsea goal, but otherwise I thought he was very good. Bueno was solid when he came on. Toti and Semedo good as well I thought. The defence were torn apart first half but got stronger as game went on. Credit to to an unwell Dawson who still put in a good shift, as Mad Mick would say.

Gomes poor first half and nearly gifted them a goal, but worked tirelessly second half. Lemina was everywhere and when he is on his game he drags us to a result. Humungous effort!

Doc must get a mention for an easy yet very cool finish, he certainly has the natural ability to get into such positions, we know that from his forays into the box when he was right wing-back.

It would be lovely to have a commanding win but you can't argue that that was a fantastic result against a developing team who obviously have talent, and it gave all Wolves fans a very happy Xmas. Not sure it was at all 'comfortable' as Gazza said, but a win's a win.

"We can't say it, we know what you are" even brought a few smiles from Chelsea fans though I'm sure it's brought devastation to millions across West London and Sky Sports.

Merry Xmas!
"We can't say it, we know what you are" wasn't funny ffs. It's an attempt by people to say they have nasty, discriminatory thoughts about people and are upset they can't vocalise them.

On the game I thought sarabia played well again.
In the first half it seemed like various partnerships were arguing with each other? Whatever, they sorted it & thought overall, 2nd half especially it was a really good team performance.

"We can't say it, we know what you are" wasn't funny ffs. It's an attempt by people to say they have nasty, discriminatory thoughts about people and are upset they can't vocalise them.

Yep very much sounds like “the woke bastards have stopped our freedom of speech so we’ll tell you what we think without saying it”

Be interesting to see if there is any comeback on Wolves.
There won’t as nothing technically has been done wrong, nevertheless everyone knows the mindset of those chanting it. So many other sticks to poke Chelsea with for so called banter, FFP the amount spent to achieve nothing etc

This was an interesting read, especially the "injury" part:

It's an interesting if flawed opinion.

If Sterling scores we lose that game. But those are the fine margins at the top.

The twitter user gets it wrong on us giving Liverpool a game, we were garbage second half, and we beat Spurs.

If you're going to try to forensically analyse a game it's best to get the details right.

On the game I thought sarabia played well again.
In the first half it seemed like various partnerships were arguing with each other? Whatever, they sorted it & thought overall, 2nd half especially it was a really good team performance.
I thought Sarabia was slow esp. in possession, and was easily bundled off the ball.
His delivery of the ball, given time, such as free kicks, corners etc. is excellent.
IMO

He put a sublime through ball to Hwang which he spannered over the bar. I do agree the game can pass him by on occasion but his vision is better than any other player in the squad.

Easily our most creative player I think but very frustrating as his physicality lets him down - it’s not lack of effort though.

Easily our most creative player I think but very frustrating as his physicality lets him down - it’s not lack of effort though.
Agree with all the points above.

Lovely footballer, definitely got an eye for a pass and is obviously a great finisher.

The problem seems to be physical for me - actually looks weak as piss. And doesn’t look like he fancies a battle.

He’s suited to slower paced games where he gets more time. When he’s pressed and bullied, he goes missing.

Agree with all the points above.

Lovely footballer, definitely got an eye for a pass and is obviously a great finisher.

The problem seems to be physical for me - actually looks weak as piss. And doesn’t look like he fancies a battle.

He’s suited to slower paced games where he gets more time. When he’s pressed and bullied, he goes missing.
That’s harsh, he gets stuck in - or tries to, does a heck of a lot of closing down too.

Back