• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-1 Chelsea: Verdict Thread

The Bear

Euro 2012 PTG Champion
Staff member
Reaction score

Very poor game overall in all areas. Lemina practically dragged us through that game on his own until he really started to tire towards the end.

Chelsea could have easily won that game with the chances they had. Thankfully they were even worse in front of goal than we are. Maximised their mistakes and we got the win.

Fantastic result though, and our home form has been terrific since losing the first two home games of the season.

Last edited:
Tactics continue to be a big work in progress, but it’s very hard not to give that some grace when Gary has the players working their asses off like that.

Only proper negative is their goal, no excuse for leaving a gap that large at the foot of the goalmouth.

Overall, extremely grindy match but an exceptional result, well deserved.

Comedy moments all the way through. Feel like we should send Poch a thankyou note for the present. Chelsea are an absolute car crash of a club at the moment. Not sure we'd have won that game against many other sides but we were just about the least bad of the two on the day.

1.31 v 2.05 xG

Stats say we had 3 big chances and missed two of them (Doc scoring the other).

I actually enjoyed that, yes quality was mostly poor but the drama of it all was good fun, plus we won.
We were terrible for long periods but some do or die defending kept us in it. Always looked like we could nick the ball in dangerous areas.
Bueno did great for the second and although we all think Doc is finished, he does find space in the box and is a very cool finisher.
I fucking love Lemina and Gomes.
Thought Toti was much better today than of late.

I’ll just take the points however they keep coming for now. Hopefully it gives us breathing space to improve especially once Neto returns and if we do sign anyone in January.

As Alan said, he does have the players working very hard.

I’ll just take the points however they keep coming for now. Hopefully it gives us breathing space to improve especially once Neto returns and if we do sign anyone in January.

As Alan said, he does have the players working very hard.
Mentioned to my lad that our fitness is miles better this season. Under Lage and to a lesser extent Lop, we were blowing out of our arses after 60 minutes last season.

If hwang ever gets crocked we can just put doc in his place

What an odd game. Didn't look very fluid but somehow had 5+ huge chances. Didn't defend well but kept them at bay for 95 minutes. Sa was shaky but also key. Bloody Doherty scoring.

Looked atrocious from Kilman on their goal in real time but I'll have to watch it back.

Again from the other end thought it was handball at the start of the second half.

Lemina MOTM by a mile.

Closer to 6th than we are 18th so we can put that to bed for a while.

Don't, it will upset you.

Just doesn't move or react to the movement off him.
It was dreadful. Just slinks down into a heap as he realises what a fuck up he's made.

Looked to me like Kilman thought Bueno was picking him up so Kilman shifted his attention to the Chelsea 6 who looked like he was creating an overload at the back post on Semedo

Would have really helped if Doc had tracked the 6's run then I don't think Kilman would have been caught in 2 minds

Looked to me like Kilman thought Bueno was picking him up so Kilman shifted his attention to the Chelsea 6 who looked like he was creating an overload at the back post on Semedo

Would have really helped if Doc had tracked the 6's run
Bueno was nowhere near there - he’d gone with the runner beyond the front post - just Kilman switching off and losing track of his man.

Back