• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-1 Newcastle: Verdict Thread

Last ten minutes aside when we treated the ball like a hot potato a good solid but unspectacular performance. Great save from Sa, defence solid especially Saiss.

Trincao looked very lightweight and I cannot understand why Traore wasn’t on at 70 minutes. After three games with no points I’ll take 9/12.

I can't afford to age like I did in that last 10 minutes, the clearances and touch of our players was bottom end Sunday morning pub league at best.
On the Newcastle goal, Sa stayed down all wrong, down long enough for them to get a shot on target, not long enough to give the ref a decision...we also had plenty of chances to clear it.
Thought Hwang and Raul were very good...too early to be talking about a partnership? Hwangs finishing from a tight angle was excellent, also hid defensive work.
Thought Trincao played ok first half apart from the miss, he was getting clattered all game with no protection from the ref. Should have been subbed (probably for Traore) after about 65 minutes.
Thought Neves was good for the most part apart from a couple of howlers.
Brilliant save by Sa.
Semedo, has he been told by Lage not to attack the space behind his fullback? Loads of times he had opportunity to knock the ball past.

FYI
The match is being shown in its' entirety on Sky Sport PL HD (402) from 10:30 p.m. tonight

Delighted with that result. No idea how we played, saw about 5 minutes of the game while in the pub next to the Cutty Sark... that 5 minutes included the goal that took us to 2-1 so that was fun, especially as I was with 3 Newcastle fans...

We were forced to be clinical to win that game today. Other than the Tricao shot off the bar we created absolutely nothing else.

Hwang won that game with a bit of help from Jimenez. Without them it would have been dreary.

Delighted with that result. No idea how we played, saw about 5 minutes of the game while in the pub next to the Cutty Sark... that 5 minutes included the goal that took us to 2-1 so that was fun, especially as I was with 3 Newcastle fans...
To be honest I think it can be summed as five minutes backs to the wall. Twenty minutes total control, bit of threat, goal, absolute brain fart to let them back, ten minutes Newcastle dominance, Raul trick, Hwang finish, twenty minutes more dominance, fifteen minutes hanging on against a truly poor side.

Really pleased with that win, its usually a nailed on 1-1 draw, but now that has changed.We have now 2 weeks to gloat about this , and what are the odds for Potato Head to get the boot next week ?

Positives
Raul is back. Nothing like the player against Brentford a couple of weeks ago

Hwang can finish - shows what a bit of composure can do

We won

Negatives
We play with 2 wing backs neither of whom can cross nor shoot and 2 centre mids who aren't a goal threat, it puts too much pressure on the forwards

The ability to concede a stupid goal. Irrespective of whether it's a foul, or whether Sa should have stayed down, we had what looked like 3 attempts to get rid and nobody put their foot through it

Game management at the end was woeful, from the manager not making a change early enough to the game of hot potato played by our defence and midfield.

Trincao has nice control and a decent touch, but the PL is too quick for him. He needs to get up to speed quickly. Too many times he either gave the ball away or a pass played to him was intercepted because he didn't anticipate movement.

We were forced to be clinical to win that game today. Other than the Tricao shot off the bar we created absolutely nothing else.

Hwang won that game with a bit of help from Jimenez. Without them it would have been dreary.
Not impressed then by our 10 minutes of one touch passing in the first half then ?

I will always take the win but that last 15 was very naive. Trincao needed hooking and even Raul and Hwang were slowing as they were tired. Much as I love Joao , his safety first passing really doesn’t help us. Bruno needs to trust his subs earlier. It was crying out for change. Agree with TT with the negatives.
Neves was poor with the ball today . Saiss Raul and Hwang did really well. Sa, great save , naive for the goal but I still think he looks the part .

Last edited:
Positives
Raul is back. Nothing like the player against Brentford a couple of weeks ago

Hwang can finish - shows what a bit of composure can do

We won

Negatives
We play with 2 wing backs neither of whom can cross nor shoot and 2 centre mids who aren't a goal threat, it puts too much pressure on the forwards

The ability to concede a stupid goal. Irrespective of whether it's a foul, or whether Sa should have stayed down, we had what looked like 3 attempts to get rid and nobody put their foot through it

Game management at the end was woeful, from the manager not making a change early enough to the game of hot potato played by our defence and midfield.

Trincao has nice control and a decent touch, but the PL is too quick for him. He needs to get up to speed quickly. Too many times he either gave the ball away or a pass played to him was intercepted because he didn't anticipate movement.
As much as I'd like to, can't find much I disagree with there.
However, we won, scored 2 good goals and one of em was even down our end

Back