• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 - 3 Spurs: The "where's the VAR" result thread

Despite losing 3-2 i thought we played really well, goals aside.

Hope that is the last we see of Bennet starting for a while, he doesn't have the speed of mind to make it as this level. He plays right in front of me in the second half and loads of times i notice him almost trying to hide when we have the ball. He's the only player in the team who can't play our passing game. He's been very good and he's a good defender, but it's time to move on.

MGW motm, was fantastic when he came on. Great to think a kid brought up round the corner from me plays for wolves, even when he is more than half my age. Good cameo from Traore too.

343 was great for us last year, I'm not so sure anymore. When Spurs had their purple patch in the first half they ran through our midfield at will, our left wing back looks uncomfortable and the kid that changed the game for us won't get picked in a midfield 2. 433 or 4123 for me moving forwards, it'll suit the personnel we need to get on the pitch better and protect the side out of possession more.

Can blame the linesman, but if you defend like we did tonight for all 3 goals you get what you deserve.

343 was great for us last year, I'm not so sure anymore. When Spurs had their purple patch in the first half they ran through our midfield at will, our left wing back looks uncomfortable and the kid that changed the game for us won't get picked in a midfield 2. 433 or 4123 for me moving forwards, it'll suit the personnel we need to get on the pitch better and protect the side out of possession more.

Can blame the linesman, but if you defend like we did tonight for all 3 goals you get what you deserve.

I really don't think we can risk four at the back; we'd start shipping goals all over the place, IMO. Jonny might be the only defender we have who wouldn't be totally out of place in that setup.

Just watched them again. Bennett lost his man for the 2nd and 3rd, just so slow of mind

The way I saw the second goal was that Bennett moved toward Kane who was open, leaving Docherty to come back to mark Mora. But Docherty didn't read the situation very quickly. On the first goal, Boly lost his man. On the third, Boly and Coady switched positions for the Lioris downfield punt and Kane beat Boly in the air to set Lamella free. After Patricio's wonder save on Kane's first shot, I thought Bennett was then slow to react.

On the offensive side, I thought we played very well. We had Spurs on their knees at the end. But we cannot afford not to put our chances away. MGW was magnificent and I think he needs to replace Moutinho who for the past three games has been largely ineffectual in controlling the midfield. Wolves are a most attractive team to watch. Their style is very pleasing to the eye. We won't be relegated. What we do need, however, is more clinical finishing in the final third. Buying a clinical striker in the January window could well improve our chances of finishing in the top half of the table. But we also need to strengthen the midfield to counter the physicality they experience in the Premier League. Time for Dendocker (in defence) and Gibbs-White (alongside Neves) to be given their chance.

I really don't think we can risk four at the back; we'd start shipping goals all over the place, IMO. Jonny might be the only defender we have who wouldn't be totally out of place in that setup.
Bennett and Boly will be fine they've played in a flat back 4 all their careers until they came to Wolves, Vinagre plays as a left back for his Portugal age group, Saiss plays left sided centre half for Morrocco.

Bennet was very poor today, without coady him and Boly would be way more vulnerable.

We simply don't have 2 who can play at the back in a 4, plus our whole formation and style is built around raking balls from deep and we need a spare man at the back to do that.

I thoroughly enjoyed that game. Very similar to the Watford game in that we were giving a good account of ourselves until we conceded then went 2-0 down very quickly. Doherty played some really good football in the first half hour or so.

I thought Jimenez was excellent again, I really lile him and Coady and Boly were very assured in the second half and cool as you lile under pressure.

MGW had by far his finest performance tonight and was excellent.

At 3-0 we looked like we were going to get trounced but in the end Spurs were panicking and making defensive errors. From that we can take great encouragement.

I am sure the bloke behind me said he would have taken Rui off at half time for Ruddy but kind of redeemed himself by saying 'our dog would be better than Bonatini... and I ay even got one'

Bennet was very poor today, without coady him and Boly would be way more vulnerable.

We simply don't have 2 who can play at the back in a 4, plus our whole formation and style is built around raking balls from deep and we need a spare man at the back to do that.
The extra man in midfield would suit is more now than the extra man at the back, the last two home games have made that abundantly clear to me.

The way I saw the second goal was that Bennett moved toward Kane who was open, leaving Docherty to come back to mark Mora. But Docherty didn't read the situation very quickly. On the first goal, Boly lost his man. On the third, Boly and Coady switched positions for the Lioris downfield punt and Kane beat Boly in the air to set Lamella free. After Patricio's wonder save on Kane's first shot, I thought Bennett was then slow to react.

On the offensive side, I thought we played very well. We had Spurs on their knees at the end. But we cannot afford not to put our chances away. MGW was magnificent and I think he needs to replace Moutinho who for the past three games has been largely ineffectual in controlling the midfield. Wolves are a most attractive team to watch. Their style is very pleasing to the eye. We won't be relegated. What we do need, however, is more clinical finishing in the final third. Buying a clinical striker in the January window could well improve our chances of finishing in the top half of the table. But we also need to strengthen the midfield to counter the physicality they experience in the Premier League. Time for Dendocker (in defence) and Gibbs-White (alongside Neves) to be given their chance.

I think MGW and Neves is the way forward when chasing a game, and we need the extra runner, but like when Alf started in the champ it will leave the other cm with too much to do sitting alone if it's level/we're ahead.

Extremely disappointing and frustrating to go 0-3 down because of more lapses in defence. You've already lost the game 99 times out of 100 in that situation. It was a decent fightback but we never looked like winning the game once the momentum and urgency that our 2nd goal brought had worn off.

MGW MOTM. OMG M8 dat pass.

I meant to add that Mark Scholes (the AR who erroneously flagged Docherty offside) made an egregious error. I certainly expect him to be down in the Championship and League One for at least two weeks. Even without the help of (VAR) playback, it was obvious that Docherty was not offside. Scholes focused on the player that MD had just run past, who was not the last man in the Spurs defence. We can't blame this horrendous error for Wolves' defensive frailties or their attacking mishaps, but it did change the course of the game because it permitted Spurs to get off the hook before half-time. Just as Wolves have to improve their finishing and tighten up their defensive lapses, such officiating mistakes just cannot be tolerated at the top level. As a former referee and assessor, it was a disgrace!

I meant to add that Mark Scholes (the AR who erroneously flagged Docherty offside) made an egregious error. I certainly expect him to be down in the Championship and League One for at least two weeks. Even without the help of (VAR) playback, it was obvious that Docherty was not offside. Scholes focused on the player that MD had just run past, who was not the last man in the Spurs defence. We can't blame this horrendous error for Wolves' defensive frailties or their attacking mishaps, but it did change the course of the game because it permitted Spurs to get off the hook before half-time. Just as Wolves have to improve their finishing and tighten up their defensive lapses, such officiating mistakes just cannot be tolerated at the top level. As a former referee and assessor, it was a disgrace!

Good post!

The extra man in midfield would suit is more now than the extra man at the back, the last two home games have made that abundantly clear to me.
We played well today, apart from defensive mistakes from Bennett and Doc. Even then we should have drawn if it weren't for some horrendously shit officiating.

Ripping up our whole formation and style of play based on one game when we actually played well is just odd. Different personnel in the central 2 i get, i love Neves and Moutinho, but at times they are too similar and too one paced. Today showed that, and MGW showed that we can change it.

3 piss poor goals to concede but then again Spurs are very very good up front, in the end a bit unlucky to not get a point, linos decision very poor, good comeback. Maybe time to give Bennet a rest if Dendoncker is fit enough. Probably an unpopular comment but I think Boly for all his good work needs to up his concentration levels, he can't count on his recovery tackles at this level. No need to panic at this stage, keep playing as we are and we'll win enough games

We played well today, apart from defensive mistakes from Bennett and Doc. Even then we should have drawn if it weren't for some horrendously shit officiating.

Ripping up our whole formation and style of play based on one game when we actually played well is just odd. Different personnel in the central 2 i get, i love Neves and Moutinho, but at times they are too similar and too one paced. Today showed that, and MGW showed that we can change it.
Boly made costly defensive mistakes too.

It's not one game though, we've lost the midfield in the last two home games. MGW coming on the pitch, provided us with the legs Neves and Moutinho don't have but coincided with them being three up and letting us have the ball. In the first half we were overrun by Sissoko FFS. We might not have the defence to play a back 4, but we don't have a midfield to play a 2 either against the better sides.

It's not one game though, we've lost the midfield in the last two home games. MGW coming on the pitch, provided us with the legs Neves and Moutinho don't have but coincided with them being three up and letting us have the ball. In the first half we were overrun by Sissoko FFS. We might not have the defence to play a back 4, but we don't have a midfield to play a 2 either against the better sides.
352 then, not like the wide forwards are pulling up trees so far, give them a rest and play a front two. Gives you your extra man in the middle of the park and don't have to disrupt the back three.

352 then, not like the wide forwards are pulling up trees so far, give them a rest and play a front two. Gives you your extra man in the middle of the park and don't have to disrupt the back three.
I'd go for that, although I'm not sure who'd play up top with Jimenez, maybe Cav although I thought he was poor today

I'd go for that, although I'm not sure who'd play up top with Jimenez, maybe Cav although I thought he was poor today
Think you can gamble a bit more with the selection when there's two up there. Jota has played pretty much as soon as forward before, though obviously unavailable right now, Bonatini had some football in him tonight so maybe still an option if there's someone else to put it in the net for him. Could even risk one of the youngsters perhaps with a more experienced partner rather than them having to brave it alone.

Don't agree at all that Spurs' midfield overran us.

Back