• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 - 3 Spurs: The "where's the VAR" result thread

Don't agree at all that Spurs' midfield overran us.
Then there's not much I can say then really other than it must look very different in the flesh than on TV, because for 20 minutes in the first half they closed, pressed and bossed the game in there.

Definitely not what I saw, in fact for large stretches I thought it was very strange how much of the ball Tottenham seemed to just let us have.

They closed us down well, but it wasn't like Watford where they were all over us at times. Up until the first goal we had plenty of the ball and a decent amount of time to move it.

Nuno isn't Jackett, or Mick, or other previous managers we have had. He isn't going to panic and suddenly rip up everything we have worked (so hard) towards in the past year or so. Now isn't the time to panic, it's the time to have confidence in our way of playing.

Nuno will make tweaks and changes to personnel just like he always has but no way he starts messing with the basic structure of the team.

Agreed. Watford did a number on us but we should have beaten Brighton and we should have had at least a point last night. We can talk about our frailties all day but we must remember that Spurs are an excellent side and we are newly promoted. We'll win more than we lose this season.

Let's be honest spurs are a good side . We are where we are and it's about right for the players we have. It's no coincidence that us and Brighton are side by side in the table. We were better than them but lost. We have only, and I say only because it's a very positive only, beaten west ham palace Burnley and Southampton who are all in the bottom third and we have beaten nobody above us.

I think for me expectations were exceeded by the way we started the season with. 1 defeat in 8' and points off the Mancs but the last three games have tempered them to more realistic levels. I will be far more pissed off losing at home to the likes of Cardiff , Huddersfield, Newcastle should it happen. In this league, at this time in our progression we are about right.
The things we need are.
1. Goalscorer
2. Better full backs
3 upgrade on Bennett who has had three poor games in a row

That will still only put us to a top 10 side but it's progress. I am getting a bit greedy.

Wolves 2 - 3 Spurs: The "where's the VAR" result thread

We are small margins away from being a very good premier league team. For our first season, I’m more than happy with where we are and how we are playing.

Some of the crowd at Molineux really need a reality check.

We are small margins away from being a very good premier league team. For our first season, I’m more than happy with where we are and how we are playing.

Some of the crowd at Molineux really need a reality check.
I remember there being a discussion on here regarding whether you'd prefer to be in the Championship or the Premier league and losing every week. I could see both sides of that argument, I'd certainly rather be a Norwich fan than a Cardiff fan right now for example.

This is the best of both worlds. We're more than matching some of the best teams in the world at their own game and seem to be on the cusp of something really special. I can't feel too upset at losing games like last night when there are so many positives that it'd take me hours to list them. Of course there are negatives as well but there were always going to be challenges along the way. Any talk of changing formation or moaning about Nuno is just a massive overreaction.

I remember there being a discussion on here regarding whether you'd prefer to be in the Championship or the Premier league and losing every week. I could see both sides of that argument, I'd certainly rather be a Norwich fan than a Cardiff fan right now for example.

This is the best of both worlds. We're more than matching some of the best teams in the world at their own game and seem to be on the cusp of something really special. I can't feel too upset at losing games like last night when there are so many positives that it'd take me hours to list them. Of course there are negatives as well but there were always going to be challenges along the way. Any talk of changing formation or moaning about Nuno is just a massive overreaction.

Common sense post of the thread

Totally agree with Penk and Lycan.

We're a good side who play good football. I just don't feel nervous watching Wolves at the moment. I just enjoy it - I enjoyed last night despite the result because there were still plenty of positives to take from the game. MGW for example was outstanding when he came on.

Yep agree with all of that from Penk, Lycan and Langers.

I was really disappointed last night to hear Patricio booed after kicking the ball out of play. I stood up and clapped, got some right evil looks :)

I thought MGW was fantastic last night. Positive, direct, confident. I think he'll be a regular in the team by the end of the season.

I still think it was the right decision to move him on, but we really miss Douglas' set pieces. It seemed to happen so often last season that we'd take the lead that way and that would allow us to control the game.

Moutinho's deliveries never make me think we're gonna score that way.

I still think it was the right decision to move him on, but we really miss Douglas' set pieces. It seemed to happen so often last season that we'd take the lead that way and that would allow us to control the game.

Moutinho's deliveries never make me think we're gonna score that way.
I also would and still would have moved Douglas on, but I also wonder how much him not being there has affected Jota.

MGW impact on the game was huge compared to day Winks who’s getting regular England call ups.
Just gutted we lost that, even without the disallowed goal we created enough to get something out of the game.

I can't feel too upset at losing games like last night when there are so many positives that it'd take me hours to list them. Of course there are negatives as well but there were always going to be challenges along the way. Any talk of changing formation or moaning about Nuno is just a massive overreaction.

Agree with this. This is what we all wanted, a competitive team at the top level. We're not far away from being a very good side. We need improvements in certain areas but we all knew that.

We played really well yesterday. Much better than a 6/10 score.

MGW has made a really good case for himself and should have had an assist had Costa had his shooting boots on. It will be interesting to see what he can do with a team sitting back and countering such as Brighton but he has that little bit of a spark we have been missing at times recently.

The main problem to address is what we are doing with our WB's I noticed Doc was more on the outside again early on with Costa dropping in, which is fine but his crossing is really poor. Equally on the other side Otto delivered some very poor quality crosses when given a good opportunity.

Bennett started this season brilliantly and has been pretty consistent until the Watford game, I do not think he can complain if Dendoncker comes in now. This will also help with how we move the ball out of defence, which is vital against the better sides.

Overall I am happy with the teams performance, it is Spurs after all and they really are a cracking side, but at least we can see some areas for improvement and I am sure Nuno will address them in the coming weeks.

100% agree
Nuno won't change the system he will be changing the personell. Adding more quality as we go will make our system work better.
This is our identity! Also we must remember our squad value is 196m(13th) Spurs is north of 750m(4th) though not the only factor it generally means something.
When I was at Stevenage in league 1 watching an abysmal KJ 0-0 borefest, starving (they ran out of pies before halftime) I wouldn't have dreamt we'd be giving an excellent Spurs a game of any kind just 5 years later.

Gary Neville made an interesting point last night in the commentary - "You need to spend £30-40m on players to go to the next level." I think that's exactly where we are now. Lamela cost Spurs £30m (from memory) and last night the difference between him and say, Costa was clear to see

Managed to watch the whole game yesterday, totally uninterrupted, and was impressed with the performance against a quality spurs side.
I thought MGW was outstanding and sharpened us up a lot.
Moutinho it seems from my limited viewing has gone off the boil and on occasions in close up looked a bit knackered yesterday.
For all his intelligence Bonatini just doesn't make the cut for me, too slow, and not a goalscorer as I see it.
doc played well but non occasion was a bit leggy getting back to defend and frankly for all the opportunities he has, he couldn't,t cross the high street.
We play a great style, even if one or two are a bit slow getting into the box on occasion and I would like to see what happens with johnny at rwb and Vinagre at lwb.
Raul is a grafter and deserved the disallowed goal, but my god is this better than anything I have seen in a long time at Molineux, you bet your ass it is!

Back