• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 Reading 0 - Verdict Thread

Disappointing that some are suggesting our victory is diminished because Reading were poor - we made them poor. Zenga said post match that they had watched them and there is no doubt that the gam plan was to pin Reading back and defend aggressively from the front. The front three of Joao, Mason and Bod were immense in their willingness to close down, harry and disrupt Reading's defenders forcing them to hit hollywood long passes that frequently went into touch. If it didn't one of Saville or Edwards were on it. Tactically it was an immense call from Zenga as we dominated from the off and dictated how the game would be played. Make no mistake, Reading had no answer to Wolves pressure.

Last Saturday we started passively, this week it was completely the opposite and the whole team was on the front foot from the off.

Only down side is I still have the same dickheads behind me - 3 minutes for the first to pipe up with his "opinions" and then there was another one who berated Hause throughout the match before eventually someone told him Hause was on the bench and his ire was being directed to Iorfa.

Joao is talented, no doubt about it and despite looking quite slight he is difficult to knock off the ball. I don't recall him ever drifting out of the came - he and Mason were crucial to how Wolves played and dominated - his defensive work was outstanding and he managed to create 3 or 4 decent chances including his involvement in Doherty's goal.

I did expect Reading to set themselves up differently in the second half and try an pose Wolves some different problems but such was our ascendancy the second goal effectively killed the match as a competition.

After the trials of last season - there are signs that this season may be more entertaining fayre.

Disappointing that some are suggesting our victory is diminished because Reading were poor - we made them poor. Zenga said post match that they had watched them and there is no doubt that the gam plan was to pin Reading back and defend aggressively from the front. The front three of Joao, Mason and Bod were immense in their willingness to close down, harry and disrupt Reading's defenders forcing them to hit hollywood long passes that frequently went into touch. If it didn't one of Saville or Edwards were on it. Tactically it was an immense call from Zenga as we dominated from the off and dictated how the game would be played. Make no mistake, Reading had no answer to Wolves pressure.

Last Saturday we started passively, this week it was completely the opposite and the whole team was on the front foot from the off.

Only down side is I still have the same dickheads behind me - 3 minutes for the first to pipe up with his "opinions" and then there was another one who berated Hause throughout the match before eventually someone told him Hause was on the bench and his ire was being directed to Iorfa.

Joao is talented, no doubt about it and despite looking quite slight he is difficult to knock off the ball. I don't recall him ever drifting out of the came - he and Mason were crucial to how Wolves played and dominated - his defensive work was outstanding and he managed to create 3 or 4 decent chances including his involvement in Doherty's goal.

I did expect Reading to set themselves up differently in the second half and try an pose Wolves some different problems but such was our ascendancy the second goal effectively killed the match as a competition.

After the trials of last season - there are signs that this season may be more entertaining fayre.

Thanks for that, brilliant to hear.

On the face of it that's harsh JR but I'd agree with all of it apart from Coady who I thought had a very good game, using the ball well and having decent technical ability. He worked well with Iorfa too, taking up good positions and aerially excellent.

I also thought Coady had a generally good game. Not everything he did went for him and he was never tested defensively, but on the whole looked technically good.

Neither of our full backs were tested today, Walter's maxim of "Sometime you win, sometimes you learn" is particularly apt after today's match.

Reading were dreadful, Wolves were the excellent. Despite a lack of possession (not the all being decider some would say it is) we controlled the game and I don't we will have an easier match this season.

This doesn't take away from how Wolves controlled the game, we were controlled, direct and incisive. There were a few players in today's team who surprised me, long may that continue!

Don't get me wrong on Coady, I don't think he had a bad game. As has been said he wasn't tested particularly from a defensive standpoint. I just thought his touch was poor and he killed a couple of breaks with poorly weighted passes. I'm much happier with him out of the way at RB than in the centre of the park.

Don't get me wrong on Coady, I don't think he had a bad game. As has been said he wasn't tested particularly from a defensive standpoint. I just thought his touch was poor and he killed a couple of breaks with poorly weighted passes. I'm much happier with him out of the way at RB than in the centre of the park.

I thought the same of Edwards and Saville today but when looking back on it both midfielders ran hard but just aren't technically or mentally quick enough to play with Bod or Tex. I am nitpicking here as I thought our performance was excellent and dare I say it very professional, almost Italian in execution.

I thought the same of Edwards and Saville today but when looking back on it both midfielders ran hard but just aren't technically or mentally quick enough to play with Bod or Tex. I am nitpicking here as I thought our performance was excellent and dare I say it very professional, almost Italian in execution.

#catenaccio

This isn't my video (I have a much better voice when singing along to "hi ho Wolverhampton" then this chap), but around about 9 mins 15 seconds in is the piece of skill down by the corner flag from Teixeira - brilliant.

https://youtu.be/bdc7lTfJibc

The thoughts of Walter...

[video]https://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialWolvesVideo[/video]

This isn't my video (I have a much better voice when singing along to "hi ho Wolverhampton" then this chap), but around about 9 mins 15 seconds in is the piece of skill down by the corner flag from Teixeira - brilliant.

Whoever said earlier that would have bettered SEB's goal against Charlton was bang on the money, goddamn!

Excellent video that, saw these 2 lads but didn't realise they were videoing the game. Hope they go to every game and do this, will keep an eye out for them.

Ace video and that bit of skill by Teixeira - sublime.

At 7 mins 52, is that Aikiwolf starting the "Thunder Clap" when the camera pans to the left?

Whoever said earlier that would have bettered SEB's goal against Charlton was bang on the money, goddamn!
Nah. Still wouldn't have been a patch on SEB's.

At 7 mins 52, is that Aikiwolf starting the "Thunder Clap" when the camera pans to the left?

Yeah but I was too rhythmical for most of the SB so I asked Jon to sort it properly at the end....;)

We were solid today but offered something when we went forward. Bodvarsson is the perfect focal point, strong quick and good on the ball. Texeira adds some real quality. I'd like us to play more football but didn't need to against a toothless reading.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Boxing day 2015. Wolves beat Reading 1-0 with their only shot on target. Reading have 24 attempts Wolves have 6. That team includes Afobe and Graham as well as 6 of the starting line up for today's game. We all agreed it was a fluke win and it came at a time when we wanted Jacket replaced.
Fast forward 8 months and we have 14 shots with 7 on target in a dominate one sided win. The new blood throughout the club in ownership, playing and coaching staff is adding oxygen to the heart of the club. Early days but not since Huddersfield last season have we played like that!

The thoughts of Walter...

[video]https://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialWolvesVideo[/video]

What a difference from the banal drivel we were served up last year! I really hope Zenga succeeds. He seems a real personality and very natural!

That was brilliant, such a shame it didn't come off he beat about 3 defenders (okay quick replay it was 2 defenders but the same guy twice!) to do that and he also the play before hand won the throw in to make the opportunity.

He looks class

Superb Wolves performance but for those who couldnt attend I have to share a song we sang in the SB
ok best Doris Day voices on

Que Sera, Sera
Whatever Will Be, Will Be
We're massive in Italy
Que Sera, Sera

Back