• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves Academy Thread

Noah Lemina is electric but a little too easily pushed off the ball

Looks a way better option than Doc to chase games.

Just got back from Kidderminster on a night out that I would recommend to any Wolves fan who has the time and commitment to drag themselves away from the computer and the telly on a wet Monday night.
My verdict on the simplistic stuff first: Sunderland won 2-1 because they were clearly a more organised unit used to playing together. Sunderland must have had about 7 players booked and it could easily have been more as the ref was very lenient in the early period allowing constant fouling by them. On our side, we were clearly not a 'team' in the sense of having a system that we knew and could work quickly.
More importantly: Chirewa did a lot of good runs and trickery with good passing, He needs to fill out for the first team though. Lemina looks a prospect for the future as he has incredible body strength and pace allied to trickery and solid constructive play. Mario had a focused chat with him on the halfway line before the second half started. Fraser in particular was constantly pulled over and fouled and in the blustery rain never really had the protection or indeed service he deserved. He needs to fill out too but it will come. Finally, Barnett clearly has all the ability in the world but yet again failed to dominate a pedestrian and bog standard traditional English style bunch of cloggers.
Other than that I cannot see that anybody else on the pitch tonight is anywhere near being a first team prospect. Yes, Sunderland won and we lost but the more important aspect surely has to be James Collins being supported to develop young footballers with talent that are worth watching. IMHO we had four show their potential for higher things but Sunderland had none.
KTF UTW

Thanks for that, Wellen.

Watched the match and just can't make an argument for any of them being near a regular first team squad place. Absolutely crazy that we've been naming 4-5 of them on the bench for the last few months, let alone starting them! Fraser looked a million miles off last night in an under 21 match.

The squad needs some serious depth adding to it this summer. If that means adding uninspiring but solid enough options like Brownhill, Adams etc for next to nothing, I can make peace with that.

Thanks for that, Wellen.

Watched the match and just can't make an argument for any of them being near a regular first team squad place. Absolutely crazy that we've been naming 4-5 of them on the bench for the last few months, let alone starting them! Fraser looked a million miles off last night in an under 21 match.

The squad needs some serious depth adding to it this summer. If that means adding uninspiring but solid enough options like Brownhill, Adams etc for next to nothing, I can make peace with that.
100% agree with you Jinky. Both mentally and physically they are all very young. It's nice to spot elements of their potential but without being miserable it's a tough and long journey for them. Yes, it must be cool, exciting and encouraging for them to be on the bench for the first team and get on the pitch but it isn't appropriate. Overall, we are in a position that does not help their medium to long term progress. The gap that us oldies saw Kenny Hibbitt, John Richards, Alan Sunderland, Steve Daley etc manage to jump was miniscule compared with what these lads are trying and being asked to do. Good luck to them though!

Last match of my season's trilogy this week was tonight. We lost 1-3 in the Premier League 2 Under 17 Cup Final at the Molineux to Chelsea. Chelsea were slightly better overall but we gave them the first two goals on a plate. The third and killer goal was late with us pushing for the equaliser. I thought Lewys Benjamin in goal, Caden Voice in defence and Lennon Patterson (My MoM) as wing back were our standouts. Dani Angel and Conor McLeod were good.
But hey, really good progress as we don't make many finals!

Back