• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle (A) 2/3: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
Rounding off a busy 7 days.

I watched both their games in this period - Arsenal can of course take anyone apart in their current form but Newcastle were abject. Caught in possession time after time, awful at defending set pieces and by the time they'd mustered a shot the game was over. Then Blackburn had the better of the cup game for long spells. They're certainly there to be got at and with how we suddenly find ourselves in the league, it's quite a key game in terms of chasing 7th (or 8th, if that ends up being enough for the ECL).

Clearly Hwang is very unlikely to play (you could argue his performances merited a dropping anyway) and while I don't think it's what O'Neil will do, I would play Fraser. Just for some form of a focal point who might occupy the centre halves. If Bellegarde plays there then Botman/Lascelles won't have an easier afternoon all season and the ball will keep coming back at us.

Have Neto predominantly on the right for this one to get at Burn who gets more vulnerable against pace by the week.

---------------------------Sa---------------------

--------------Kilman-----Dawson----Toti---------

Semedo---------Lemina-------J Gomes-----Ait-Nouri

-------------Neto------Fraser-----Sarabia-----------

2023/24: D 2-2 (H)
2022/23: D 1-1 (H), L 1-2 (A)
2021/22: W 2-1 (H), L 0-1 (A)
2020/21: D 1-1 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2019/20: D 1-1 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2018/19: D 1-1 (H), W 2-1 (A)
2016/17: L 0-1 (H), W 2-0 (A), L 0-2 (A, LC)
2011/12: L 1-2 (H), D 2-2 (A)
2010/11: D 1-1 (H), L 1-4 (A)
2003/04: D 1-1 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2002/03: W 3-2 (H, FAC)

11 draws out of the last 21 games

Young Noah up front please. All he has to do is be as poor as Hwang was last night and we're not any worse off for the experiment.

He's not a centre forward, if you are going that route it needs to be Fraser, although personally I think he's a fair way short at the moment, but unlikely to be worse than Bellegarde as a false 9

It's a game with lots of opportunity, but i think we'll be tired and not really turn up for this one unfortunately.

Agree with Fraser starting as the number 9

I'd be tempted to go with Deutsch's team, but if Hwang isn't fit, as seems likely, it's almost certain he'll go with Bellegarde. Which won't work. The other option might be to play Lemina, Gomes, and Doyle in CM, and just play Neto and Sarabia up front. Which also won't work IMO.

Another option would be to leave Santi in (very good last night as he has been in all his recent appearances), move Toti to LWB and have RAN on the left of the front three. Leaves you without any physical presence at all up top though.

Not forgetting the most obvious DOGSO in the history of all football too.
Like some kind of fever dream.

"No let's leave it with the ref who had one look at full speed from 60 yards away, he must have had an awesome view"

0_Screenshot-2518.jpg

I think without Hwang we will go with Sarabia-Neto-Bellegarde. Leave Pedro as the highest player to break quickly through. Bellegarde looked better on the left I thought too

Worried he will actually go with Doyle behind Lemina and Gomes, leaving just Sarabia and Neto up top

I’d be tempted to play Doyle, Gomes and Lemina with Mario given license to get forward like he did in the first half against SU. Neto and Sarabia ahead of them.

Another option would be to leave Santi in (very good last night as he has been in all his recent appearances), move Toti to LWB and have RAN on the left of the front three. Leaves you without any physical presence at all up top though.
Not a bad idea this, I think he will go with Bellegarde though. With our current fitness and tiredness issues, this is gunna be a big ask.

Geordie in peace here,

For the first time in a long time I couldn't easily predict who'll be the starting 11 for us. We've finally got something approaching depth. I'd expect Isak, Gordon to start again, maybe Almiron instead of Murphy? Midfield will be Bruno and Willock, probably Longstaff as well although I'd prefer Miley. Big questions about the back line. Botman missed the game against Blackburn but apparently it's not an injury so maybe Botman, Schar in the middle with Trippier on the right. Big question remains about Burn or Livramento. I'd go for the latter due to the threat you have down your right hand side.

There are 100+ pubs in walking/staggering distance of St James'. You'll be welcome in any of them as long as you don't act like a knob. Something for everyone too, most big groups of away fans head to the Mile Castle, if you're after a quieter, more old fashioned, boozer try the Crown Posada. Whatever you're after there's plenty of choice.

Geordie in peace here,

For the first time in a long time I couldn't easily predict who'll be the starting 11 for us. We've finally got something approaching depth. I'd expect Isak, Gordon to start again, maybe Almiron instead of Murphy? Midfield will be Bruno and Willock, probably Longstaff as well although I'd prefer Miley. Big questions about the back line. Botman missed the game against Blackburn but apparently it's not an injury so maybe Botman, Schar in the middle with Trippier on the right. Big question remains about Burn or Livramento. I'd go for the latter due to the threat you have down your right hand side.

There are 100+ pubs in walking/staggering distance of St James'. You'll be welcome in any of them as long as you don't act like a knob. Something for everyone too, most big groups of away fans head to the Mile Castle, if you're after a quieter, more old fashioned, boozer try the Crown Posada. Whatever you're after there's plenty of choice.
The Bodega is also a decent pre match pub, or at least it used to be. As an away fan just don't go in The Strawberry, it's a great pub but very much a home fans pub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back