• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves History Thread

Check the little post-match interview with Scarborough's second scorer, an object lesson in "people in the 80s didn't age well". 36/37 there!

The reason Colin has always hated us. The bloke who fell through the roof used to travel with Cannock Wolves, he wasn't a hooligan, just a bit potty at least in my experience. Our fans weren't angels back then, particularly when we took over grounds of small clubs, but it was Leeds fans as they were playing on the Sunday that kicked the trouble off that day. It was a year before I started going away though so that's second hand

Last edited:
Noticed Colin was still hanging on to his eyebrows then, just.

The reason Colin has always hated us. The bloke who fell through the roof used to travel with Cannock Wolves, he wasn't a hooligan, just a bit potty at least in my experience. Our fans weren't angels back then, particularly when we took over grounds of small clubs, but it was Leeds fans as they were playing on the Sunday that kicked the trouble off that day. It was a year before I started going away though so that's second hand
Warnock doesn't hate wolves at all.

On the contrary he actually wanted to be manager at one point.

He is the right age to remember us being more than decent. Same way as George Best was a fan as a boy

Before my time but didn't Taylor's Watford also destroy us in the league at Molineux in that period, John Barnes running riot?

Watford weren't in the old 1st Division until they won promotion in 1981/82.

I wasn't at the 1980 FA Cup loss but I was there when we got our revenge the following season when we beat them 2-1 after a replay.

One for @Alan

In addition to a George Berry defensive blunder you have the worst attempt at a goal line clearance you'll see. Remember this is before reds for deliberate handball.

John McAlle breaking his leg and putting us down to ten men didn't help, it was discussed here...

On a happier Watford FA Cup story didn't we hammer them at their place in a third round tie in the mid 90's with a huge following and meekly got beat by them at the same venue a week later?

John McAlle breaking his leg and putting us down to ten men didn't help, it was discussed here...

On a happier Watford FA Cup story didn't we hammer them at their place in a third round tie in the mid 90's with a huge following and meekly got beat by them at the same venue a week later?

Yep and then repeated that same trick in 2008

Well we did win the League Cup only a month later !
Won the semi final v Swindon on the Tuesday before say they had been on the pop afterwards.
Watford were only div 2 at the time so possibly underestimated them.
John McAlle also broke his leg 5mins after coming on to top of a shit day.

Won the semi final v Swindon on the Tuesday before say they had been on the pop afterwards.
Watford were only div 2 at the time so possibly underestimated them.
John McAlle also broke his leg 5mins after coming on to top of a shit day.
Yup I was at that semi . . . didn't go to the Watford game as I was a bit tight for money and I reckoned it was a gimme - and you're right in that we underestimated them.

Still I'd happily take the League Cup win any day though - our last major trophy win (when winning the League Cup actually meant something).

Watford weren't in the old 1st Division until they won promotion in 1981/82.

I wasn't at the 1980 FA Cup loss but I was there when we got our revenge the following season when we beat them 2-1 after a replay.
same. i'd done something wrong in 1980 and my mum said i wasn't allowed to go.

Back