• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves History Thread

You look at that starting 11 for the first game of the season and it's no wonder we went down with a whimper. Strange start to the season too, Liverpool on the Saturday, Arsenal the Monday, both at home

Vs Coventry 03 December 1966. Attendance 27,232.

FB_IMG_1713596823666.jpg

I can still recall the vivid memory of watching this goal! Being at my dads social club.

21 years ago today:

Any one of 2003's Miller, Sturridge, Blake or Ndah would have been very valuable to us in the second half of this season. I draw the line at 2003's Adam Proudlock though.

Interesting tangent, if you could only have had one in January 2024 (and they're a clone of what they were in January 2003), and you know what our injury situation is going to be...which one would you have wanted in our current team, clearly they'd have played nearly every game.

Ndah for me although I was a big fan of all four.

Yeah I'd like Ndah, we saw the other 3 in the Prem and they weren't great really (although in poor teams) Ndah can't have played many (any?) Prem games for us though, and whilst he wouldn't have scored many goals his pace would have made things happen.

Ndah never played in 03/04 and missed all of 04/05 too. Such a shame.

Mid 90s Nathan Blake would have been a different story, still quality for us but his pace had mostly gone by the time we had him and his XXL shorts.

Ndah never played in 03/04 and missed all of 04/05 too. Such a shame.

Mid 90s Nathan Blake would have been a different story, still quality for us but his pace had mostly gone by the time we had him and his XXL shorts.
Blake was one who had really poor looking body language, but put in far more effort than he got credit for.

He was a proper big lad.

Probably the first centre forward I remember us having where we could just bomb the ball long to him and it would stick, nearly every time. His massive arse definitely helped in that respect. We always looked a better team when he was playing.

In terms of pure finishers that we've had, Deano would be up there, a rung behind Bully and Raul. Didn't do a lot else but give him a chance and he'll probably score. A proper bargain too, £350k!

A hybrid 2003/2023 team:

-------------------Murray----------------

---------Dawson----Kilman---Lescott------

Semedo-------Rae-----Lemina------Ait-Nouri

-----------Ndah----Cunha----Neto----------

Subs: Sa, Toti, Irwin, Naylor, Ince, J Gomes, Sarabia, Hwang, Blake.

Tasty.

I loved Rae but he's not better than Gomes. Got to be Hwang over Nah as well.

You get more goals out of Rae than any CM we own now... (plus I'm horrendously biased)

I dunno man, Hwang in general play or Ndah? Especially if we play on the break.

Definitely Hwang for me.

Alex Rae was exactly what we needed at the time but we'll end up selling João Gomes to a top team for £50-60M and he'll easily go on to make 20+ appearances for the Brazilian national team. They're just not in the same league.

Murray & Lescott were the only 2 from that era of a similar quality to what we have in our best XI

Not always about the best players though is it, it's the best fit.

Pretty sure absolutely everyone here will say that Kevin Foley was a miles better footballer than Matt Doherty ever was or will be, one was a squad player in a team perpetually fighting relegation, one played in a Europa League quarter final.

Back