• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves History Thread

Couple of observations:

* Madden is as quick and as hunchbacked as I remember on their 1st goal.

* That Cook Corner for the 3rd, he absolutely smashed it!

* Tom Bennett celebrating like he's in a 50s Pathé video.

* Always rated Liam O'Brien, he too had that Madden hunch.
I'm sure we discussed it during our lockdown sessions but how does Stowell get lobbed on the first Newcastle goal!

I'm sure we discussed it during our lockdown sessions but how does Stowell get lobbed on the first Newcastle goal!
Sooooo many goals conceded like this, I never once thought it throughout the 90s though! Opposing teams must have started to identify it?

Watching keepers from the 90's is like viewing into a different world.

You see clips of 1 on 1 chances and the keeper generally makes a late appearance as they sprint towards the edge of the 6 yard area!
Loads easily beaten by lobs as well

Watching keepers from the 90's is like viewing into a different world.

You see clips of 1 on 1 chances and the keeper generally makes a late appearance as they sprint towards the edge of the 6 yard area!
Loads easily beaten by lobs as well
Yeah definitely. Even the likes of Schmeichel don't look all that with many of the goals they conceded. As with Stowell, lots of lobs!

On the flipside I feel that top end Championship CHs like Curle, Venus, Richards etc (and could pick plenty of opponents, Taggart, Walsh, Elliott, Short, Breen, Daish, de Zeeuw, Mowbray and many more) from the mid 90s were far better than what you find at that level now.

Keith Curle from around 1997 would definitely get in our team now and we're top half in the Premier League.

Keepers are way better now.

Full backs are off the scale in terms of attacking to the point where even Gary Neville would be a bit of an anachronism now.

Hardly any total cloggers in CM, you have to be able to play even if you dish it out a bit.

Wingers/wide players have far more goal threat and a far harder work ethic.

CHs and pure #9s are the outliers, they have declined. Also rare now that you get a proper poacher of a forward who scores but does nothing else.

I don't know why, because it was shit, but I really liked the Havard Flo song

8 years ago today:

G6PZRPTYP5EMFNMN6MRTCGN26A.jpg

Still haven't forgiven Scouse Tellytubby Karl Robinson for not bothering to apologise on his caveman centre half's behalf. Easily one of the worst challenges I've ever seen in a Wolves game.

Back