• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves History Thread

Attachments

• IMG_1795.jpeg
    IMG_1795.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1796.jpeg
    IMG_1796.jpeg
    272.4 KB · Views: 2
It's been said before, but we were paying him decent PL money in the Championship, so the only reason for him to move was professional rather than financial. So can't really compare it with players today

It's been said before, but we were paying him decent PL money in the Championship, so the only reason for him to move was professional rather than financial. So can't really compare it with players today
We were, but he'd have got more money in Italy at the time than staying with us. I imagine Coventry and Celtic may well have offered him more too?

You'd have been 11 when he retired?
Didn't play much after 96/97 though. 35 league starts in his final two seasons with none after October 1998.

As for wages I reckon Genoa or Villa might have topped his Wolves pay had he joined either in the very early 90s (but not by a large margin). Don't think Coventry or Celtic would have, might not even have matched it.

We were, but he'd have got more money in Italy at the time than staying with us. I imagine Coventry and Celtic may well have offered him more too?
He was on mid tier England International money, £6k per week in the early 90s. If he'd got more it wouldn't have been needle moving

Didn't play much after 96/97 though. 35 league starts in his final two seasons with none after October 1998.

As for wages I reckon Genoa or Villa might have topped his Wolves pay had he joined either in the very early 90s (but not by a large margin). Don't think Coventry or Celtic would have, might not even have matched it.
Coventry were offering him less than we were.

Times were what they were. Who knows if the differential in wages, like today, would have made a difference.

God, I bloody loved Sylvan.

Yeah, I loved Sylvan, twat by me in the North Bank always called him ‘Eubanks’, one of the reasons I moved to the South Bank.

That Charlton game was one of the all time great mentals
Likewise woke the while house up at some goddamn time (3am) when Henry scored the winner.

SEB’s 2nd goal one is of the greatest Wolves goals of all-time.

Last edited:
I was in the away end and Vis went gracefully arcing over my head to rnd up about four rows nearer the pitch. Limbs everywhere.

32 years ago today:

Couple of observations:

* Madden is as quick and as hunchbacked as I remember on their 1st goal.

* That Cook Corner for the 3rd, he absolutely smashed it!

* Tom Bennett celebrating like he's in a 50s Pathé video.

* Always rated Liam O'Brien, he too had that Madden hunch.

Back