• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves History Thread

Very different times, people were staying away because of hooliganism, unemployment was sky rocketing as Thatcherism was kicking in and we weren't particularly good, got to the Cup semi, but finished about 6th from bottom from memory. As I said it's about context and that says we had a top half average, all clubs have the outliers you mentioned.

Average attendances being as you were talking about it
IMG_1783.jpeg

Funny how Albion take the piss about this. But they were only getting 12k in the top flight and didn't have a ground with 2 sides open, owners they utterly detested or were spiralling into non existence.

It is stark though!

Who changed the red seats?

What a player. I doubt we'll see as instinctive and natural goalscorer again in Wolves colours. And despite all the criticisms he faced, you can see in that video he had a lot better technique and skill than he was given credit for. He'd be worth £100m in today's game.

When you watch that back you can see how many times Bully took the opportunity early. It was either one touch and wham or simply wham with no touch. As Dire Wolf says, pure instinct and most certainly he had better technique and skill than a lot of football snobs gave him credit for. What an era and I was fortunate to see all of it....live.

Can't make up my mind on those penalty decisions! VAR would have had something to say. Probably given theirs and overturned ours given our relationship with it.

The Francis one looked ludicrous in real time!

What a SHIT footballer he was. In odd career moves, became a Canadian policeman after he finished playing.

IMG_4879.jpg

Bambi on ice as he used to be called, that 'penalty' was prime Francis, missing the ball and falling over. Love how on our pen Deano attempted an overhead kick whilst on the ground. Bully wasn't having the best of games until his winner and was clearly frustrated, can remember the feeling as he broke loose to slot that goal away to win us the game. One of my favourite goals too and I've always liked the goal at Edgar Street which I think was the first one on the compilation video.

Can't believe he'll be 60 next year!

Back