• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves History Thread

Excellent!

Rui wore 11, but we'll let that slide due to the circumstances.

I feel like I've seen Venus wearing 2, which is horrible as he was either a left footed CB or LB, but there are and must be worse

Turner and McGhee were buggers for just bringing in a player into the replaced number without a care in the world regardless of their position, the chaotic bastards.

Thompson at 9 is abomination.

I feel like I've seen Venus wearing 2, which is horrible as he was either a left footed CB or LB, but there are and must be worse
Yeah, I've edited in van Damme at 2. When was he ever going to play at RB FFS? Never, that's when.

Thommo did play up front when he wore #9 :D Steve Corica and Robert Niestroj did not so they may have a claim.

Mark Atkins wore 3 away at Millwall at the end of the 95/96 season, I guess there's a very slim chance he was LB, very slim. Otherwise that's disgusting.

Froggatt wearing 10 was slightly annoying too, especially when Osborn was on the pitch and wearing 11.

Have to say, predictably. I'm not a fan of Lemina at 5.

However, in Brazil it'd be correct.

Jordao can have #6. Why give a first XI number to someone who will never ever play.

Fortunately we've never gone down the Liverpool road of handing #1 to some cackhanded back up twat.

#1 Hansbury

#8 Connelly
????
????
#7 McNamara

#3 Bazeley
#6 Jordao
#10 Rankine
#9 Niestroj
#2 van Damme

#11 Ward

4 and 5 are a problem, because they are actual passable CH numbers. Maybe Vallejo for #4 on the Hansbury grounds of being so poor. And I suppose someone awful like Lawrie Madden for #5.

That's also not a very good partial team :D But they all have genuinely played in those numbers where I've put them.

Last edited:
Connelly!! Sake!
A proper villain of this.

Taking #8 for the fag end of 2000/01 when he could have taken anything outside the top 11, and then selfishly nabbing #2 (up from #18 in 2001/02!) for 2002/03 when you are never going to play you giant headed bastard, you started 4 games last season and we're signing someone who won the Champions League three years ago. Which does not excuse Irwin taking #8 but his proper number had been nabbed for no reason.

A proper villain of this.

Taking #8 for the fag end of 2000/01 when he could have taken anything outside the top 11, and then selfishly nabbing #2 (up from #18 in 2001/02!) for 2002/03 when you are never going to play you giant headed bastard, you started 4 games last season and we're signing someone who won the Champions League three years ago. Which does not excuse Irwin taking #8 but his proper number had been nabbed for no reason.
His head was bigger than Jupiter. Always looked painfully out of his depth too. One of Jones trio from his Stockport days wasn't he? With Dinning and Cooper.

You can now see Sean "Easter Island" Connelly on Wales' bench as he is their physio.

22 years ago tomorrow:

Some notes:

1) People always think this was Muscat's last game for us, it wasn't

2) People also think that he got sent off really early in the game, as you can see it was after HT

3) Again the widespread memory is that it was one of those awful premeditated challenges he sometimes threw in, really he's just lost his head in the moment

4) It's an awful "jump" by Nathan Blake on the goal, and I liked Nathan Blake

5) Crap result and performance though it was, we had plenty of time to still sort it all out. But only won 2 of the remaining 6 games. It wasn't just this one, before this we'd also led twice at Forest and drew (Blake again at fault, missed from two yards out) and were 2-0 up and cruising against Blues and chucked two points away, and Jones kept picking players who were out of form/knackered instead of using the squad

Hadn’t he already got away with one which maybe why people thought it was earlier. I think it’s seen as a bit pivotal as such an obviously winnable game which would have been enough with the rest of results. As you say, no reason for us to have had the jitters from then on in and I think a better manager would have got us there comfortably.

When did we sign Halle? Was it pretty much straight after this game?

Losing Muscat was definitely significant.

Back