• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves History Thread

I don't think I've ever gone through as many separate "I'd sack him" moments as I did with DJ :D

- End of 2000/01 when he'd improved absolutely nothing in half a season and was already talking shit
- End of 2001/02 after chucking that position after spending that amount of money
- Pretty much all through Sep/Oct 2002 when we lost 5 out of 6 league games and Rotherham knocked us out of the League Cup
- Christmas/New Year 02/03, 2 points from 5 games (pre-Newcastle in the cup, definitely gone if we got stuffed there)
- Sep 2003 after losing 0-5 to Chelsea, 6 games in and we'd scored 1 goal
- March/April 2004, basically relegated after a mini-run of P4 W0 D0 L4 F3 A14 and failing to beat any of Pompey/Leicester/Leeds before that
- Aug/Sep 2004, opening the Championship season with 0 wins in 7 games
- Sep/Oct 2004, take your pick of Cardiff at home or Forest away, by this time he'd managed to fall out with all of Oakes, Ince, Miller and Naylor
- The eventual dénouement in Nov 2004, after losing 0-1 at Gillingham who had 10 men for 80 minutes

At least 9. He wasn't even here for 4 years!

Last edited:
Oh and he directly replaced Alex Rae with fucking Olofinjana, and put his golfing mate in goal for months when he couldn't kick, catch or move. And had months to sign a centre half (any centre half) to replace Paul Butler and just didn't bother until two days before the start of the season when he picked up a basically retired Björklund. I'm choking on my own rage here and it was nearly 20 years ago.

Then England & Wolves Captain, 26 year old Billy Wright relaxes with a book with his landlady Mrs Colley in 1950
How times have changed...

FB_IMG_1710758248316.jpg

He was 26 years old then. People in the past seem to look so much older than their modern counterparts at the same age.

I know he was a mainstay of our team in the 70s and I also know how much goalkeeping standards have improved, Mike Stowell a decade or so later never comes out that great on these kind of clips, but was decent within context. Was Phil Parkes really as bad as he looks?

I know he was a mainstay of our team in the 70s and I also know how much goalkeeping standards have improved, Mike Stowell a decade or so later never comes out that great on these kind of clips, but was decent within context. Was Phil Parkes really as bad as he looks?

As I remember he got a bit of flack for being a weak link (along with John McAlle) to stop us being real contenders for the league.
In reality I don't remember him being that bad, not top class but not a real lemon.

I only caught the tail end of his career and it amazes me how older fans rated him so highly. He was immobile, had slow reflexes and struggled to catch anything beyond basic.

I only caught the tail end of his career and it amazes me how older fans rated him so highly. He was immobile, had slow reflexes and struggled to catch anything beyond basic.
His best years were the late 60s and early 70s.

A good keeper but certainly not outstanding. Also at the time the standard of English keepers in the old First Division was exceptional - Lofty would have been at the bottom end of the top 20.

And I agree with the view that Lofty and John McAlle (I was never his greatest fan) were the weak links in the team that were 1-2 players short of being serious title contenders.

Surprised how soft that penalty was. The narrative is that in that era it needed to be GBH to get a free kick let alone a penalty.

Our gates were shite:

Man Utd 31,953
Crystal Palace 20,601
Coventry 18,150
Ipswich 18,803
Birmingham 22,777
Leeds 20,699
Sunderland 18,816
Brighton 15,946
Liverpool 25,497
Stoke 18,786
Southampton 18,137
Nottm Forest 31,588
Middlesbrough 16,253
West Brom 29,764
Aston Villa 34,693
Norwich 21,605
Leicester 21,670
Man City 17,371
Arsenal 15,160
Tottenham 18,530
Everton 16,269

I'd say it's pretty poor. Not even 20k through the door in half the games and the average massively swelled by opening day, Boxing Day and two local derbies that are all huge outliers. In a ground that held 40k.

From December 1993 to April 1997 we never had one single league attendance below 20k, all in the second tier.

Back