• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves History Thread

Bully wasn't having the best of games until his winner and was clearly frustrated, can remember the feeling as he broke loose to slot that goal away to win us the game.
Sadly the video doesn't show the full celebration. Their mutant fans had been giving him stick all afternoon, 89th minute winner and he ran the full length of the stand which would later bear his name, right in front of them, fist pumping all the way.

Glorious, glorious stuff.

So many of his goals were out a good distance as well and he rarely had any hesitation in hitting it first time if he saw open country in front of him .
Compare that to today where a lot of strikers have a fear of not scoring , so they're trying to walk the ball in .

Different times I know and not Premier League either , but its some compilation all the same .

His mantra was "Hit it early, hit it hard, and hit it on target".
Wise words.

What I see on various Facebook groups about Bully too is that he is very well liked by neutrals of a certain age who remember his exploits in the late 80s/early 90s and viewed him as an Italia 90 cult figure. He doesn't seem that far in the past but there's a generation of young Wolves fans now who never saw him play and hear the stories from their fathers and grandfathers

Realistically if you're under 30 then you don't properly remember him playing. 25 years in a few weeks since his final appearance (sub vs Bradford on the final day of 98/99).

It's weird, he's only 6 years younger than me but I always think of him as a generation earlier.

It's weird, he's only 6 years younger than me but I always think of him as a generation earlier.
He was only 21 on the famous signing photo with Thommo who himself was only 18 but both looked a fair bit older

He was only 21 on the famous signing photo with Thommo who himself was only 18 but both looked a fair bit older
It's sound stupid but maybe the age difference was bigger back then, I was 27, 2 kids and a mortgage, he was still a young up and coming blade.

It's sound stupid but maybe the age difference was bigger back then, I was 27, 2 kids and a mortgage, he was still a young up and coming blade.
He was already going through his first divorce, got done for drink driving in his early days at Wolves and was mentioned in mitigation

The tache did him no favours at all.

1992:

wolverhampton-wanderers-photocall-season-1992-1993.jpg

1994, looking about a decade younger:

wolverhampton-wanderers-footballer-andy-thompson-1994-M0FBB3.jpg

Looked like Kevin Webster with his tash

I was watching a video of Bully's best goals with my son the other day and I had forgotten just how good so many of his goals were. My son was very impressed!

What I see on various Facebook groups about Bully too is that he is very well liked by neutrals of a certain age who remember his exploits in the late 80s/early 90s and viewed him as an Italia 90 cult figure. He doesn't seem that far in the past but there's a generation of young Wolves fans now who never saw him play and hear the stories from their fathers and grandfathers
There's definitely a lot of respect and admiration for Bully from fans of all clubs who go back to that era. All the Newcastle fans I talk to always mention how great he was. And respect that he stuck with Wolves through thick and thin. "They don't make them like Bully any more" is a common phrase I hear.

Realistically if you're under 30 then you don't properly remember him playing. 25 years in a few weeks since his final appearance (sub vs Bradford on the final day of 98/99).

I'm 36 this year and can't say with any certainty that I actually saw him in the flesh, other than in various establishments around Wolverhampton during my student years.

Back