• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves History Thread

In fairness (and I don't like being fair to the club about ticket pricing, because their approach is nonsense):

1) Footballers' wages have increased way more than 2.9% p/a since 1981

2) It's not just football tickets that have seen a crazy spike. Just to use an easy example, the average price of a pint in a pub must have at least close to doubled in 20 years. 20 years ago I was still at uni and was unhappy at paying over £2 a pint anywhere in Manchester or Wolves. If you get one for under £4 now it's a bit of a win

Yeah, I even took a mate who hated football and I was trying to convince him that if he experienced a live match it would change his mind. His one and only match and he'll have no idea how poignant it was. Funnily enough, his surname is Bull too 😄

Who fancies feeling old?

20 years ago today.

one of the best games I ever watched that. Loved it!
Kennedy's goal is awesome, and the goal line clearances at the start of the 2nd half are superb!

I had half an hour of "shame it didn't work out, we sold him a bit short, let's see where we go".

Then it became apparent we'd tapped up Saunders. And I asked what the fuck was going on.

People backed him as well, genuinely said he was good.

I loved the old South Bank but the ground really was a bit of an atmospheric dump

Why was the John Ireland stand built so far away from the actual pitch?

Depending who you believe:

1) Because it was all getting very moody at games, putting it miles away disencouraged pitch invasions and chucking stuff at players/officials

2) We had plans to do all the other stands and move the footprint of the ground that way, the old Waterloo Road stand was literally right against the road, the pavement was just about wide enough for one person

You could see in the changing room windows with a ladder
I remember on the news when we won promotion from Division 4, the camera was in the changing room on Bully and co celebrating and some bloke appeared through the window, put his arm round Bully and shouted "Come on me babbies!"

EDIT: Reached the final not won promotion. I stand corrected.

Alan Blount is his name, still goes, sits in the NB apparently. Now tashless and on FB

Back